Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm so afraid I will lose my ability to walk! Need ??'s answered!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm so afraid I will lose my ability to walk! Need ??'s answered!

What happens that makes us go from walking to using a wheelchair? I have for the most part been ambulatory but for about 3-4 weeks now I have had so much pain in the bottoms of my feet towards the outside where the ball and arch of my foot is that it is almost unbearable to walk! Before this, I have never had this before. I called the dr office 3 weeks ago, then my mom passed away and I have been calling again since last week and no one will call me back. I don't want to lose my ability to walk!

Is it pain, spasticity or nerve dysfunction that causes people to lose their walking ability? I'm just so scared! Please someone help me understand this!

Lizzy

I'm sorry to learn about the loss of your Mom. I'm sure it's a difficult time for you.

Then, to have your doctor's office not call you back - well that's just not right, especially when pain is affecting your mobility.

This link from the National MS Society is about Walking (Gait), Balance, and Coordination Problems

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...ems/index.aspx

Hope it helps with some of your questions.

Let us know if you have more questions, and we'll try to help if we can.

Take care,
    KoKo
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thank you so much koko!

Thanks for the web address. I think it's more spasticity than anything. Do you know if people can lose the ability to walk due to extreme spasticity in the feet?

I am so stressed out over my feet/legs spasming up, no return phone call from neuro, my mom passing away 2 weeks ago and to top it off I am tring to schedule an appointment for my 12 year old son to a neuro to rule out ms in him! I'm trying so hard to be my old normal self, but I am about to fall apart at the seams! I just don't know what to do :*( I would just die if they tell me my baby has this MonSter!!!!!

Comment

Lizzy

I think it's more spasticity than anything. Do you know if people can lose the ability to walk due to extreme spasticity in the feet?
        I don't know for sure. But I do know that spasticity can be treated with meds and physical therapy/regular stretching of the muscles.

I am so stressed out over my feet/legs spasming up, no return phone call from neuro, my mom passing away 2 weeks ago and to top it off I am tring to schedule an appointment for my 12 year old son to a neuro to rule out ms in him! I'm trying so hard to be my old normal self, but I am about to fall apart at the seams! I just don't know what to do :*( I would just die if they tell me my baby has this MonSter!!!!!
        You have so much to deal with! I can understand why you are so stressed out.

Hopefully your son is ok. Sometimes things work out much better than we think they will.

Keep hopeful, and try to take each day as it comes.

Wish I could be more helpful. Maybe your neuro will contact you soon, and he'll be able to help.

If you need to vent, feel free to do so!

Take care,
        KoKo
        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

What happens that makes us go from walking to using a wheelchair?

It was a fear of mine for many years. In recent years it became a real worry. I used to use a cane once in a while, then almost 5 years ago, I started regularly using a cane on my new famdocs orders. I was not walking very well and had fallen and tore my shoulder. NO fun hurt like crazy and had surgery, which was not fun either, TWICE.

I have had those MS Zapps (neck-head elec like shocks) for many decades, but had one that was much more seveer than usual. About 15? minutes later I could not stand to bear weight on one of my feet. Was difficult getting around even with walker or crutches. MY nakle ortho noted that nerves on the bottom of my feet (toes back) were inflamed.

Bottom line, was my fam doc felt it was TIME for me to start using a powerchair. He ordered a P/T evaluation. At the end she asked if I needed it tomorrow...I said NO.

MY fam doc ordered the powerchair, my ins covered it and it was delivered on a Wed afternoon. The following Sat morning, I sat in the powerchair, I almost broke down (not a manly thing to do), the fact that my doc thought I needed it was overwhelming. It was something I had FEARED, but not suprised.

It took time but I got over the fear (mostly) and learned it was a TOOL, that with part-time use, enabled me to do MORE. By giving my gumby-stix legs a break I could actually walk BETTER!

I also got myself a scooter (on my own) and love it. It lets me go places and do things I could not otherwise do.

Today I am walking more & better than before I got the powerchair and scooter. I have learned to MANAGE my activity and limited walking. i also have a manual chair, walkers and assorted canes... I vew them ALL as TOOLs that help me live a better life.

FEAR... yes I still fear the day I will be stuck in a chair, but its not the end and I have learned to adapt.

Gomer Dr. of, Been There, Done That

Comment

Look at it this way...

A very small percent, (10%-15%), of MS'ers are in a Wheelchair, having lost their ability to walk.

Way fewer than that are in a wheelchair because of spasticity or "foot pain".

I think the main reason for people with MS being in a wheelchair comes down to severe nerve damage over time, nerve dysfunction.

Comment

Working...
            X