No announcement yet.

go on disability?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

May as well mention the budget item most folks don't consider- Dental.
    Low cost/no cost dental services are limited to getting a new tooth brush or an extraction with little in between. On the VA side, they really don't push it and the rules are really tight (the vast majority of Vets aren't eligible for dental services). For most of us, that means paying out of pocket.

Comment

MGOERKE- that is exactly why I moved to NC, my house payments for a full year are less than than the taxes were on my house in NJ, and the taxes here are less than a third of what one house payment was there. Not to mention car insurance costs, 3 cars with 18 daughter on it with full coverage on 2 of the cars is less than 1000 per year. Also 4 yr community college is dirt cheap compared to NJ.

The only draw back is we have the highest income tax in the country but it still works out to the better.
      Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

I read that SSDI is based on the last 40 quarters (ie 10 years) of salary. That is my motivation to keep working in order to have the highest possible income for the last 40 quarters. So, if you can keep going, I´d keep working.

Think of work as paid mental agility therapy and it´s worth it. (As long as you are physically able to do it.)

Comment

I just got on SS Disability. I had to quit my job because I was making too many mistakes and just couldn't handle the stress that caused as well as the exhaustion I felt. I had wanted to work as long as I could - I am 60 now.

I would suggest you wait until it starts causing problems with your work. If you get insurance at work and stop working you can get on Cobra, but that is very expensive - you pay the whole premium. You can get Cobra for 18 months, you may increase it up to 36 months I think, but you will be charged a addition 50% for the premium.

When you get approved for SS Disability, you will be able to go on Medicare (If it's still there) after 24 months of being disabled.

I wish I would of talked to my employer to see if there was somthing I could of done there that wouldn't of taken much brain work and kept working

Comment

Does anyone know if being on or off meds makes any difference?

Comment

Originally posted by bsymom View Post
              Does anyone know if being on or off meds makes any difference?
              Any difference of what?
              If you're asking in a big-picture kind of way about meds and working, its going to depend on your situation. Keep in mind the DMDs don't make you better, they just (hopefully) stop the damage or at least slow it down.
              So, let's say you're used to taking your DMD or main MS treatment, its effective and your MS is stable. That still leaves meds for MS-caused symtoms.
              Let's say further that your mobility is good and your main foe is fatigue. If you find the right Rx, your problems are mostly over.
              If you're dealing with mobility or sight/hearing issues, that can be complicated but do-able as long as you can get accomodations at work.
              Chronic pain issues are another complication altogther. Its tough to show up bright eyed and bushy tailled when you haven't been able to sleep for two days, as an example.

These are just a handful of MS-caused symtoms, as you can tell it gets pretty complicated pretty quickly depending on your symtoms and their severity.

Comment

Working...
              X