Long term disability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long term disability

I was terminated from my job on June 3rd, I am in the process of filing for SSDI. The company where I worked offers long term disability through another company. That particular company sent me a letter stating that I could remain with this insurance for about $20.00 a month, I was not on disability when I was terminated, but would I be eligible to go on long term disability until my SSDI comes through ?
    Maybe Rich could give me some answers.

Thanks

If you were covered by a group long term disability plan at your job, it would make sense to file a claim on that. You would need to look at the summary plan description from that employer to see what the waiting period and benefits are.

Most of the time, group long term disability pays 60% of what you made while working. For me, that's more money than SSDI. There is a waiting period, which can vary.

There is a time limit on how long you can wait after leaving a job and still file on the group insurance.

I would grab the chance to continue the coverage, if nothing else. With a diagnosis of MS, most insurance companies won't cover you with Long Term Disability.

Comment

Yes and that sounds dirt cheap also! I'd check into what exactly it covers etc. Good luck to you.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

@dynoman were you terminated because of your ms?

Comment

That is not what they wrote down they wrote down that they did not have confidence in me to do my job, but they never gave me anything to do to gain confidence in me all they did was give me clean-up work all the time instead of testing. Yes they did know I have MS.

Comment

LTD -can i still buy in?

My job offers LTD as an option- I haven't been buying into it- but I'm in the process of being diagnosed now

Do you think I'll still be able to buy into it in November during the next "open enrollment" or can they deny me because of "pre-existing condition?"

So much to think about all of a sudden!!!
            Diagnosed 7/11/11
            On Copaxone 7/11- 12/13
            On Tecfidera 12/13- current

Comment

Originally posted by Leah27 View Post
              My job offers LTD as an option- I haven't been buying into it- but I'm in the process of being diagnosed now

Do you think I'll still be able to buy into it in November during the next "open enrollment" or can they deny me because of "pre-existing condition?"

So much to think about all of a sudden!!!
              That depends on the company offering it. Most places don't take pre existing conditions into account when they offer different types of insurances at your time of hire. It's like a "grace period" to get on the rolls. After that, they usually make you jump through more hoops to get coverage. For example, at my place of employment, all employees are given life insurance. When I was first employed, I had the option of increasing the amount of insurance I had. This was a one time, no physical or questionaire required. Had I waited until the next open enrollment, I would need to answer health questions and go in for a physical before I was approved.

You may want to call your HR department and find out what the policy is regarding enrolling after you've begun employment. If they do require a physical or your medical records, it is highly unlikely they will allow you to enroll should you have MS. I don't know of a single insurance company that will offer an MS patient Short or Long Term disability insurance.

Comment

Thanks for the advice! Maybe I should change jobs and get in on that grace period while I'm still able to work...hmmm....

I actually got diagnosed with CIS-high risk yesterday. Will be starting therapy soon.

I'll try my best to get in on that long term disability or see about changing jobs to get in on open enrollment....
                Diagnosed 7/11/11
                On Copaxone 7/11- 12/13

Comment

Originally posted by Leah27 View Post
                  Thanks for the advice! Maybe I should change jobs and get in on that grace period while I'm still able to work...hmmm....

I actually got diagnosed with CIS-high risk yesterday. Will be starting therapy soon.

I'll try my best to get in on that long term disability or see about changing jobs to get in on open enrollment....
                  Although I hope it is correct for you in general I think that CIS thing is a BS diagnosis and applaud you for getting things in order now. I went back to school while working to have a more flexible career and then got my present job almost entirely based on the health benefits.

Good luck to you.
                  He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                  Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
                    Although I hope it is correct for you in general I think that CIS thing is a BS diagnosis
                    Good luck to you.
                    Can I ask you to explain what you mean by that?
                    Diagnosed 7/11/11
                    On Copaxone 7/11- 12/13

Comment

This is my personal opinion based on the numbers of people I have read are reported to go on and develop MS. Although it is reported anywhere from 50% to the quote below at 85% to 94% in my experience if the insurance companies are willing to pay for disease modifying treatment for a CIS diagnosis to me that is pretty telling.

I guess because MS is such a miserable disease there is hesitation to actually diagnose people and often times be forthcoming with the genetic implications. Personally I resent it and think that terms like "benign MS" and CIS are BS as it is only benign until its not and only an isolated event until the next one. Just my opinion though.

"Among untreated patients, 85% to 94% with a first clinically isolated syndrome (CIS) suggestive of MS and positive findings on magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) are at risk for developing MS." from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19695384

http://techtransfer.universityofcali...NCD/11167.html

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/cha...als/index.aspx
                      Anonymous

Comment

Buy the insurance - here's why

Dynoman,

I was laid off almost two years ago and worked until my final day on the job. My company's LTD policy covered me if I was unable to do my current job - I was a programmer doing the kinds of work that only a few are lucky enough to do - and had problems with concentration, vision, fatigue, bowels, urinary urgency, sleep ....

The LTD covered me for 3 months past separation, after being laid off I was offered and signed up for similar coverage and paid the painful premium.

I spoke with my neuro days after my layoff was effective and he told me to apply for SSDI and LTD immediately. I was approved for the former within 90 days, and initially rejected for the latter.

I had been seing my neuro or his PA every four weeks for the past three years when receiving Tysabri infusions, ten years all in all during which I was on Copaxone, Rebif, etc, and noted every MS issue on paper at every appointment. After 10 years my records filled a ream of paper, and once my independent claims agent took a look at my records he just about guaranteed I would receive LTD. He knows ERISA, had worked for insurance companies and hated the way they sc*** claimants. His fee was 10% of my back "pay", he was worth every penny.

A few months after I was approved for LTD I received a check for all the payments I made to my personal LTD policy, since my claim started within the 90 days of being laid off my group LTD is paying the bill until I reach 66. If I hadn't bought my own insurance I'd be up the creek if the claim went in after 90 days. (This will vary - don't bet on 90 days).

Good luck.

Originally posted by dynoman View Post
                        I was terminated from my job on June 3rd, I am in the process of filing for SSDI. The company where I worked offers long term disability through another company. That particular company sent me a letter stating that I could remain with this insurance for about $20.00 a month, I was not on disability when I was terminated, but would I be eligible to go on long term disability until my SSDI comes through ?
                        Maybe Rich could give me some answers.

Thanks

Comment

rejection ofltd

I was recently rejected for my ltd but was approved for ssdi. My ltd would be more than my ssdi and that would have helped me get through these trying times. Now not only do I stress on my ms I have to stress on paying my house payment. I don't understand why they can say I can still work and override my neuro. I am appealing this right now. Any suggestion from anyone that has been in this situation would help me right now.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X