Lawyer or use Allsup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lawyer or use Allsup

After being released from my job I have realized it is time for me to apply for SSDI, is it best to use a lawyer the first time or should I use Allsup ????

Thanks

Use Allsup!

Hi there,

I applied in March 2011 for SSDI. Initially, I completed most of the forms myself (slowly), but then realized I could benefit from some help. I encourage you to contact Allsup. They know the ins and outs and can assist in every level of the process.

Best wishes!

Believe your own truth. Dx 2004. Currently Tecfidera and Ampyra.

Comment

Me too

I'm using Allsup too. I just got denied. SSA agrees I can't do my former job but feels I am able to perform unskilled labor.
      Do not do what I did. I was sent the papers by SSA to complete and return like in a week. I did them. I should have called my rep at Allsup.
      Good Luck!

Comment

After talking to Allsup and a few NMSS recommended lawyers, I felt more comfortable using a lawyer than Allsup. Since they'd be paid the same and cost wasn't an issue, I figured a good, experienced local lawyer was the better choice for me. I liked the idea of someone who could do some of the legwork, so to speak, for me.

I hired the lawyer before applying and was approved in 2 months.

Comment

I know that the amount the lawyers/ALLSUP get paid are a percentage of the back pay, but what do the reps get if they help you get it before you hit the back pay period?
          "Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."~ Roger Caras

Comment

Originally posted by woohoogirl View Post
            I know that the amount the lawyers/ALLSUP get paid are a percentage of the back pay, but what do the reps get if they help you get it before you hit the back pay period?
            You sign an agreement with either the lawyer or Allsup to pay them the % or a dollar amount, whichever is less.There are rules as to what the dollar amount is,etc. Some lawyers will waive fees if you aren't approved or until you are. In my agreement, he helped me get approved or I paid nothing. Basically, he's fight until I was approved and had plenty of back pay.

http://www.ssa.gov/representation/fee_agreements.htm

I don't recall the exact dollar amounts, but the date I was "disabled" was at the end of June, I applied mid-October and got the approval letter in the second week of December. I didn't even think they could get the paperwork done that fast.

I had a few weeks back pay owed, when all was said and done. The lawyer was paid about $200 and I received the balance of the December payment prior to the approval letter and the first full payment in January.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsBones View Post
              You sign an agreement with either the lawyer or Allsup to pay them the % or a dollar amount, whichever is less.There are rules as to what the dollar amount is,etc. Some lawyers will waive fees if you aren't approved or until you are. In my agreement, he helped me get approved or I paid nothing. Basically, he's fight until I was approved and had plenty of back pay.

http://www.ssa.gov/representation/fee_agreements.htm

I don't recall the exact dollar amounts, but the date I was "disabled" was at the end of June, I applied mid-October and got the approval letter in the second week of December. I didn't even think they could get the paperwork done that fast.

I had a few weeks back pay owed, when all was said and done. The lawyer was paid about $200 and I received the balance of the December payment prior to the approval letter and the first full payment in January.

Some of that I knew, some I did not...Thanks for the info!!!

Comment

I have LTD through the Standard and they submitted my info to Allsup. I have been dealing with them for about a month. I have had two reps, and have had to explain my health concerns, issues, symptoms twice.

Yesterday I realized they are also a "collection" arm of the Standard. They are sending me a form so that I can give them the direct deposit info of the account that SSDI will be deposited in. They want to debit my account immediately after I get my award so that "Standard" can be repaid.

I am beginning to believe that perhaps a local atty might be best. My gut says they are snakes.

Anyone have any experience with them that was good?

Lbj

Comment

Originally posted by asiel1 View Post
                  Yesterday I realized they are also a "collection" arm of the Standard. They are sending me a form so that I can give them the direct deposit info of the account that SSDI will be deposited in. They want to debit my account immediately after I get my award so that "Standard" can be repaid.

I am beginning to believe that perhaps a local atty might be best. My gut says they are snakes.

Anyone have any experience with them that was good?

Lbj
                  IDK about Allsup being snakes, I but I can tell you that direct deposit is kind of standard practice. It goes to SSA, not them. You account won't really be debited . Social Security decides what you get paid, whatever amount it is, is divided up into what you owe your representative , be it lawyer,Allsup or whoever, and you both receive the money at the same time. Yours will be direct deposited into the account you give them.

That's really for your protection and that of your rep, as well as cutting down on paperwork and expense for the SSA. SSA approves the agreement you have with the lawyer/rep, since there are laws as to what they can charge. Once that's settled and you are approved, SSA pays whoever they can lawfully pay at the same time they pay you. So if it was a lawyer or Allsup, they get their portion at the same time you got yours.

That way, you don't have to concern yourself with paying them (they'll very likely be paid, as you will, before you even know you're approved), the lawyer/rep is assured they get what's owed to them and so does anyone else, who lawfully has a claim on that money. If they have any kind of dispute regarding the payment, they take it up w/SSA.

SSA and your legal representatives must follow the law in regarding payment to anyone from your SSDI, so it would be the same either way, lawyer or Allsup.

A lot of people have been very happy with Allsup. It was my personal preference, after speaking to them and a few lawyers, to go with the local NMSS recommended lawyer. It wasn't because I'd heard bad things or didn't trust Allsup.

If you question Allsup's motives regarding that direct deposit, question them. Ask them directly what it's for and exactly how it works. See if what they say tallies with the info at www.ssa.gov.

Comment

the direct deposit was so my overpayment ( from LTD company) would be sent straight to the LTD company.

Not for their fees. The LTD company pays them directly on my behalf.

Comment

I used Allsup. They did all the work. 2 phone calls and 2 months later I waS APPROVED!

Comment

I used an attorney specializing in SSI and it went very well. She had some amazing forms for the docs - great questions. Of course, 3 of my docs were in agreement before I even applied - they knew I was unable to handle employment. I still think I could on some days, then something happens and I'm thankful that I don't have a job.

I was fired due to MS - the attorneys I worked for made it very clear and I called the EEOC. They could have made it possible for me to work a bit longer with the MS but chose to fire me. I was the 3rd person they fired for medical issues but I was the only one who "called" them on it. I needed the medical benefits - I thought I would be able to find another job and tried but kept being told I was overqualified, it's so unfair. but now I couldn't hold a job if I wanted too. I hate it, I don't want to be this way. Who ever expects to be handicapped at the age of 45?

ok, sorry for the rant - I would try a disability attorney, you don't pay them, you might have to pay the docs a little for the records but the attorney will get paid by the governement, win or lose. The attorney will also go to court with you at no cost if it has to get that far.

good luck
                        This music is the glue of the world Mark. It's what holds it all together. Without this, life would be meaningless

Comment

A lot of people have been very happy with Allsup. It was my personal preference, after speaking to them and a few lawyers, to go with the local NMSS recommended lawyer. It wasn't because I'd heard bad things or didn't trust Allsup.
                          Mrs Bones, did you call your chapter to find one or how did you go about it?

Comment

Originally posted by woohoogirl View Post
                            Mrs Bones, did you call your chapter to find one or how did you go about it?
                            Glad I stumbled in tonight.

I called my local chapter of the NMSS for info on both lawyers, advocate services like Allsup and their volunteer advocates, though not every chapter has advocates and the ones that do aren't strictly NMSS, more loosely associated.

After getting the info, I googled, researched and called them all to find the right fit. I had also called other lawyers not recommended by the NMSS. I chose the NMSS listed one partially because of his experience with other PwMS and his familiarity with MS itself. I felt this could be an advantage if it ever had to go to court. A lawyer as well versed in MS and its consequences as he is, not to mention being local and familiar with the judges, etc. was the better choice for me.

Comment

Glad I stumbled in tonight.

I called my local chapter of the NMSS for info on both lawyers, advocate services like Allsup and their volunteer advocates, though not every chapter has advocates and the ones that do aren't strictly NMSS, more loosely associated.

After getting the info, I googled, researched and called them all to find the right fit. I had also called other lawyers not recommended by the NMSS. I chose the NMSS listed one partially because of his experience with other PwMS and his familiarity with MS itself. I felt this could be an advantage if it ever had to go to court. A lawyer as well versed in MS and its consequences as he is, not to mention being local and familiar with the judges, etc. was the better choice for me.
                              Thank you! I should have known that a lawyer with knowledge of MS would be beneficial.

Comment

Working...
                              X