WalkAide and Pain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WalkAide and Pain?

I am in the process of a trial run of the WalkAide. I have read some of the threads and did not notice any comments on the pain associated with the stimulation. I was surprised that it bothered me as much as it did and cannot imagine having that pain all day long. I am not usually this "tender" but it feels as if I'm being constantly stabbed by an ice pick. Some did say that they got used to the feeling...my question is...did it hurt in the beginning and you did in fact get used to it over time?

The Bioness is out because I would have to do a 5 hour round trip each time I needed help or advice with it.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

How high do you have it turned up to. I have only had a problem once or twice where I felt like I was getting a shock from an electrical cord . Are you wetting the pads before you put it on? also if you have shaved your leg in that area that can also cause a problem along with any lotion you may have put on your leg also a no-no.

I would contact the rep if it continues
    Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

WalkAide & Pain

Thank you so much for your reply Scooter24,

I have only had the initial visit at Hanger to see if I would be a candidate for the WalkAide. The good news is that my nerves responded well but the bad news is that I don't know if I can do this. I will bring the unit home to try for two weeks at my next visit.

The unit is only set at 2 give or take. The fellow does moisten the pads before he puts them on my leg. Yes, my leg is shaved (kind of).

Are you saying that you do not feel a good shock at all with your unit? What does it feel like to you?

Thanks again,

prairieheart

Comment

I have only had the initial visit at Hanger to see if I would be a candidate for the WalkAide. The good news is that my nerves responded well but the bad news is that I don't know if I can do this. I will bring the unit home to try for two weeks at my next visit.

The unit is only set at 2 give or take. The fellow does moisten the pads before he puts them on my leg. Yes, my leg is shaved (kind of).

Are you saying that you do not feel a good shock at all with your unit? What does it feel like to you?

Thanks again,

prairieheart

Comment

Normally I get what I would call an impulse in my leg, by no means would I call it painful, I wouldn't use it if I did, the few times I have had a problem it was a painful shock, but as I said it has only happened a few times and most were my fault. I have had a nerve conduction test and it feels like the first or 2nd shock from it.

For reference I usually set mine at 4 to 5 maybe 6 if the pads are getting old.
          Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

I also have had problems with the pain of the walk aid. They say if gets better the more you use it, but that has not happened to me.

I have drop foot, but do not have MS. I have a spinal cord injury. It does not work very well for me. If you know of anyone who wants to buy one, I am looking to sell mine. I paid $5000 for it from Hanger. Includes a years worth of the pads. I would sell it for $2000. If your insurance does not pay for it, it is a good deal. However, you would still need a professional to fit it to you.

According to our Guidelines - 7. SELLING ITEMS AND SOLICITING MEMBERS: Offering items for sale, trade, or free are not allowed. Monetary donation solicitations of members by way of e-mail, message board posts or in Chat are also not allowed.

Comment

The only time I would get needle pain is if the Walk Aid was not positioned right. Moving it just a little, one side or the other no pain and you only felt the stimulus to pick up your foot.

The only problem I had. Was I could feel the stim going across the top of the foot also. It turned out that it brought out Aritritis on the top of my foot. Don't wear it anymore.

Comment

I guess if your leg be shaved it can cause pain when walkaide is on, as I tried it for myself with shaved legs and I felt the same shock that u discribed, but my hausband and my child tried it on hairy legs and did not feel the shock!

The walkaide is prescribed for my 9 years old child. She does not have any problem with it while she is sited and walkaide is on excersice mode, but she can not tolerate it while walking. Is there any body else with the same problem? Does it go away if she keep using it?

Comment

I have never personally used a walkaide but they seem like a great device. I have however been a TENS/EMS user for years (for pain and also muscle stimulation) which is based on the same technology. From personal experience if you fee pain from the electrode pads it means the unit needs have either the pulse rate or amplitude adjusted. The duration may also need to be adjusted but I could not find any technical documents on the walkaide unit to see if that is possible to do at home. I would suggest talking to the supplier to see what can be done - everyone is different and some have a lower tolerance level.

Comment

Walkaide - adjustments possible

Someone complained about the sensitivity of setting the Walkaide, so for those of you who lack competent fitters please note there are adjustments that can be made.

The one I refer to changes the sensitivity of the Walkaide to the number you choose.

It takes less time for the fitter to do it, than it takes to explain, basically what happened for me is the original range between 2 and 5, became the range between 2 and 10.

Setting the control to 5 now produces a much weaker shock than it used to. This means that I have much more control.

Real easy, but not something you can do at home.

Comment

Originally posted by prairieheart View Post
                      I am in the process of a trial run of the WalkAide. I have read some of the threads and did not notice any comments on the pain associated with the stimulation. I was surprised that it bothered me as much as it did and cannot imagine having that pain all day long. I am not usually this "tender" but it feels as if I'm being constantly stabbed by an ice pick. Some did say that they got used to the feeling...my question is...did it hurt in the beginning and you did in fact get used to it over time?

The Bioness is out because I would have to do a 5 hour round trip each time I needed help or advice with it.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

I actually got rashes on my skin where the edges of the pads fit like a burn mark. I went back in to my supplier and he changed the speed and wave lengths of the unit. But to my surprise he said a lot of people have some trouble with those pads that come with it. There are bigger, wider, blue pads that distribute the electricity in a wider form and I found I tolerated it much better and no more rash.

Now I have an FES that I can wear when I need to. I still can not wear it all day. It will never be that kind of device for me. I use it for short periods where I know I will be walking some distance.

Check to see if you can get an adjustment and see if different pads are available. I use the largest possible. Oh and one more thing, he gave me a gel instead of water to help lessen the shock. It works better for me. Hope this helps.

Comment

I've been using a WalkAid for 3 months and when the electrode is new, it sometimes is sharper than when it's a few days old. I have the larger blue ones and they are definitely better than the smaller ones.

I've gotten used to the feeling, even when it's a bit stronger. I find I need to turn it down through the day--my leg seems to respond better after the first hour or so.

My problem right now is my foot is buzzing every few seconds, even though the unit isn't firing.

Comment

Get the range adjusted

Go back to the Walkaide seller.

You need to have the range decreased. This can be done very easily by the fitter. In essence you need to have the maximum shock decreased such that you are comfortable when it is set to 5, rather than 2. It is an easy adjustment.

When the Walkaide is correctly set up, you'll find some days you want it at 3 or 4, some you'll want it at 5 or 6.

I have one and it makes walking much easier, enables me to stand for many tasks and allows me to go up and down steps with more confidence than I've had in years.

I find that when I barely notice the shock, it is at the right setting.

The only thing that should hurt is your wallet - insurance rarely pays for Walkaides.

Good luck.

G

Originally posted by prairieheart View Post

Thanks again,

prairieheart

Comment

Working...
                          X