Can MS be triggered by an accident?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can MS be triggered by an accident?

I was in a bad car accident in 2009. One year later I had to have a cervical dissection and fusion in my neck. When I went home from the hospital my body did not metabolize the pain med and I overdosed. 7 days in ICU + 3 days in regular unit and 4 months off work. Now I have MS symptoms. Going to see Neuro at the end of the month.

Could the accident or surgery have triggered the MS?

Yes, traumatic events can trigger MS. There was a lady here a few years ago who stepped on a crochet hook and immediately started having MS symptoms. She was featured on an episode of Mystery Diagnosis.

I hope you get some answers as to what is going on at your appointment.

Hugs and prayers,

Lisa
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

I've heard that accidents, or traumatic experiences have triggered ms.

But I don't believe that was my case. I feel I had this for a long, long time. Maybe, even born with it. I had symptoms here and there for decades, then everything came to a head.

I'm sure it has been different for other people.

Comment

Unknown and I feel unlikely.

An accident or surgery can trigger a MS exacerbation, but is unknown what triggers the start of MS and it is unlikely that there is a single trigger.
        Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

Stress to the body can cause an exacerbation, but I'm with Sir-Voor here in that I don't think it would cause MS itself.

Comment

I have heard the same and I actually saw that episode of MD and it was very interesting. I was told by my physician and trama & traumatic/extremely stressful events can trigger or I guess make MS come to the surface so to speak?

When I began to have symptoms close to 4 years ago, I was in a very abusive, both emotionally and physically relationship. I really am unsure if my ms would have been discovered or started acting up, if you will, had I not gone through the amount of stress that I did.

They say stress triggers flare up's, so I feel like if that's the case, then it could probably trigger the onset of symptoms.

Comment

I'm sorry, I meant STRESS and trauma. Not trauma and trauma!

Comment

As my neuro told me not long ago...

Anything is possible with MS.
                Diagnosed 1984
                “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Also, I don't think that stress "causes" ms. I think that if the condition is THERE lying dormant and you're genetically predisposed to MS, then a very stressful situation or drauma can bring it to the surface. I don't think MS can be caused in anyone by stress.

Comment

I ruptured 2 discs in my lower back in January 2000 and then spent the following 6 months riding out the pain until I recovered. I had been feeling fine otherwise. A month later I took a 5 day trip to New York and did not get adequate rest while I was there. I flew back home and woke up the next day dizzy, numb hands and arms, weak left leg, vision issues, etc. This was the start of it all.
                    One day doing fine - the next day run over by a truck. Always have wondered about that situation.

Comment

Hi I hope I do this right as I know you can't post direct links
                      [[url]]http://www.braininjury.com/multiplesclerosis.html[[url]] Sorry moderators if I did that wrong. I found this while looking at in relation to my car accident and MS.

Car accident in 97 severe closed head injury and a week later problems with left side. Double vision, numbness, tremors, speach and wear glasses to this day, never did before, and also left gift of memory loss.

I don't believe it caused MS but rather brought in on, always wonder if it would of never come out without that help. It did bring out the first lesions and was told MS for the first time than it was changed to stroke. Now April of this year yes to MS and not going to change this time

Comment

My symptoms started about 2 months after I got married, and about 9 months after my mom died. Being as I was married to a very emotionally abusive (and starting to be physically abusive) man, I do think the stress contributed to the timing of my symptoms.
                        Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
                        Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                        Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

I remember the lady who stepped on the crochet hook

I remember the lady who stepped on the crochet hook and was on Mystery Diagnosis. I think her user name was,
                          appropriately, Hookinfoot. However, I don't believe the fact that she stepped on a crochet hook caused the MS. I think she was already getting MS and it was coincidental. I still believe MS is caused by a hereditary defective gene that activates after you become ill with a virus such as mono, not a crochet hook.
                          Show 'em who's got guts. Don't back down - Brian Wilson
                          ******Surfer ED******

Comment

I do believe it can bring out MS that is lying under the surface. I have cared for two patients that were diagnosed after car accidents and like the others said although I don't think it caused their MS I do believe it triggered it.

I've also seen something similar with schizophrenia where very often the first psychotic break happens after they go away to college or during basic training in the military.
                            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                            Anonymous

Comment

I think stress or an accident can make MS visible enough to diagnose but doesn't cause it. i was stressed by a job loss and i often think if that job loss had not happened i would have been someone who died without ever knowing i had ms, they might have found it on autopsy that i did have ms.

might be the same for your car accident, if that car accident had not happened you would have died without ever knowing you had ms.

but i was watching a House episode that one illness caused the immune system to become very active and triggered an auto immune disease?
                              xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Working...
                              X