X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mcdougall diet

Hi All,

Has anyone tried Mcdougall diet?

Mcdougall diet does not say anything about not taking gluten.

Could you please tell me if gluten is really harmful for MS?

We have a member who is currently taking part in a research study on the McDougall Diet.

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...ight=McDougall

It's true that the McDougall Diet does not eliminate gluten, nor does the Swank Diet or the Overcoming Multiple Sclerosis Diet...but the Best Bet Diet and the MS Recovery Diet do. In other words, there isn't agreement among the best-known MS diets on the subject of gluten.

Tara recommends eliminating gluten.

Comment

I began the McDougall diet last August. After having 2 relapses in 9 months, my neuro didn't feel that Copaxone was working for me anymore and wanted me to switch DMDs.

Since there is no other DMD that I'm willing to try, I got off Copaxone and began the McDougall plan. I really like it. The recipes in the book, in my opinion, are not the greatest so I have become very good at turning many of my own recipes into vegan recipes.

When I was on Copaxone, it seemed that I couldn't lose weight no matter what I did. I have now lost a lot of weight, which of course helps me feel better. But also, I think I feel better, in general, by eating this way.

Along with eating this vegan diet, I do watch my fat intake. I have read Dr. Swank's book too, and I kind of combine some ideas from McDougall and Swank.

I'm hoping that this could possibly help in slowing the progression of this disease, but I have to say that no matter what affect it has on the MS, it has certainly had many other benefits. My blood sugar is totally under control and I am off all blood sugar medicine. Also, I was able to get off my blood pressure medicine too. Needless to say, my family doctor is thrilled about this and I am too!
      dx: April 2006
      RRMS
      Copaxone: July 2007/stopped DMD August 2010

Comment

Originally posted by raviram80 View Post
        Hi All,

Has anyone tried Mcdougall diet?

Mcdougall diet does not say anything about not taking gluten.

Could you please tell me if gluten is really harmful for MS?
        Gluten creates an inappropriate immune response- so we extrapolate (AS WITH EVERYTHING IN MEDICINE!) that inappropriate response may be a contributor to MS.
        Gluten free does more than that; it really helps with all the nagging quality of life issues: GI, urinary/bowel, cog fog, energy, etc.
        No one & nothing can make the claim of curing MS; but if we improve the quality of life???big part of the battle.
        NutritionTara
        Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

I'm doing McDougall & Gfree. It's not easy, but I'm getting better at it. Let me rephrase- it's not easy away from home. At home, no big deal.

Comment

hi

i've added a ton of supplements into my diet while we await insurance appt. so i can investigate whether or not to try meds.

so, my question how do i order or get info regarding this diet? is there a book i can buy? myhusband said gluten's in everything and it'll be hard.

?? thanks.
            Jen Dx'd 5/11
            "Live each day as if it were your last"

Comment

Originally posted by sunshine008 View Post
              hi

i've added a ton of supplements into my diet while we await insurance appt. so i can investigate whether or not to try meds.

so, my question how do i order or get info regarding this diet? is there a book i can buy? myhusband said gluten's in everything and it'll be hard.

?? thanks.
              Gluten isn't in everything...there are lots of foods that are gluten free! And although going gluten-free takes some adjustment, it isn't really all that hard to do.

That being said, are you sure you want to do the McDougall diet? It isn't gluten free, although it's generally a healthy diet that may have benefit for people with MS (IMHO).

Here's a link to the McDougall Diet website:

http://www.drmcdougall.com/free.html

You might want to check out the MS Recovery Diet &/or the Best Bet Diet, both of which are specifically designed for MS and contain no gluten.

There's a book and a website for the MS Recovery Diet and a could of websites for the Best Bet Diet.

http://msrecoverydiet.com/

http://www.direct-ms.org/
              http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuse.../show/pageid/8

Plus, of course, there's a great deal of information about gluten-free eating right here on Tara's forum.

Comment

Dairy free, gluten free smoothie recipe

So I was trying to modify my diet to fit those regs and came up with this:

Put into the blender 1 ripe banana, a generous cup of FROZEN strawberries, about 1/2 to 1 cup rice milk and a few drops of stevia. Puree til smooth. It was GREAT. Measurements are not exact, but hey, itīs a smoothie.

Enjoy.
                Is there a recipe thread somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by Temagami View Post
                  So I was trying to modify my diet to fit those regs and came up with this:

Put into the blender 1 ripe banana, a generous cup of FROZEN strawberries, about 1/2 to 1 cup rice milk and a few drops of stevia. Puree til smooth. It was GREAT. Measurements are not exact, but hey, itīs a smoothie.

Enjoy.
                  Is there a recipe thread somewhere?
                  Sounds great! I just started a new recipe thread, with a link to the old one included.

Comment

Working...
                  X