Is there partial disability?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there partial disability?

Is there such a thing as partial disability? I have reached a point that that working full time is just too exhausting. I spend each evening and all weekend recharging for work. I have no quality of life - it is all work and rest. I would like to permanently reduce my work hours.

At this company, I can work as little as 31 hours per week and still get benefits - which is something I need. Most likely, I would not expect to be able to keep my current position as a supervisor.

If a get medical support for reduced work week,[*]does this company need to find a position for me[*]will they have to pay me my current hourly rate

thanks
    Kathy
    Kathy

boosmom:

What a GREAT question! I can't provide an answer, but I am looking forward to seeing what others might have to say.

I'm in the same situation as you; I work 40+ hours each week and am usually in bed (asleep) by 8PM. All I do on the weekend is sleep, get groceries and do laundry in preparation for the following week.

You exactly stated my feelings.....I have no quality of life. It's all work and rest. I'm not totally disabled, but can't I still work yet have some quality of life? I suppose I could accept 1/2 to 1/3 my current salary by reducing hours and job category, but after working for almost 40 years, isn't there another choice?

Comment

Intermittant Leave

Ask about that. The company I worked for at the time I came back from medical leave recommended that I go on that.
      So long as I worked enough hours in a pay period I retained my medical benefits.
      techie
      Another pirated saying:
      Half of life is if.
      When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
      Dogs Rule!

Comment

Quality of life?

It feels as if all I do is work, go to school and sleep, but I'm terrified of cutting back now.

I wish I could value my quality of life, but I can't help but think that when it gets to the point where I absolutely can't work this much I'll have plenty of time for "quality" and would rather not have to eat cat food because I didn't save enough money.

I don't think there is any winning with this miserable disease, or any right answers when it comes to our uncertain futures.
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

Do you have private disability insurance through work? If you do, be careful about going part time as that will impact the amount you would get under the policy as it is based on earnings. Going part time was not an option for me and I am currently on long-term disability and have applied for SSDI. These are very difficult issues to deal with and I just want to make sure you are aware of all of your options. If your current employer doesn't offer LTD insurance you could consider looking for other employment that offers it. To qualify for LTD you would need to be employed by the new company for a year - that is usually the case for pre-existing conditions. Hope this helps a little.

Comment

I am in the same boat

I came back from 3 months off, to a boss who gave me a horrible review. I dont do near as well as I used to at work. We do have LTD. But I am still rying to work FT but I am losing it bad. I am going to try to apply for LTD and am talking to both my Neuro and PCP to fill out the paperwork for me.

I would make more on 60% of my salary than I would going pt. I am just so scared they will deny me

Comment

I was so scared too

I too, had no quality of life left. Worked and slept; too tired to do anything else. Sept. 23rd, I worked half day and never went back. I just got my Disability approval letter in the mail last week. Contact Social Security office or go online to see what your disability payment would be FIRST if you were disabled. It was scary waiting for 6 months to be approved but its worth it. I now have at least quality of life if nothing else. My car was repossessed; I live on my own but I still have my house and would not change a thing. Sometimes, you just cant go on; you life once, have one life. I wish you all well as I know first hand what you are going thru.

Comment

Wow - what great responses. Off to work now - umph - I manipulate my time a bit during the work week so I cansleep in just a little bit on Wed to gather steam for the rest of the week.

thanks so much for responses - today I woke said goodbye to husband and son and felt so ALONE! the responses made me remember that there are others in mhy boat.

The responses generated many more questions but need to to articulate. I will do that later this week. I just felt the need to say THANKS.

Kathy
                Kathy

Comment

I considered it but work was stressful and just making me worse. Even part time was not going to work with my cognition issues, fatigue, spasicity, etc.... Plus I was stubborn and probably worked a few more years than I should have and literally hit the wall.

I had my first infusion treatment May 2010 and did not return to work out on short term disability. I was approved in about 4 months for SSDI. Then again I had a ton of test results and physician notes. I was also sent to a neurologist and a mental health expert by SSA who agree I am not well.

My company has a disability plan which helps. I still have not exhausted my state benefits at this time. I went out while working 40 hours but I knew I was barely functioning even in the first part of the day. Anyhow if you question it you may already have your answer.

Comment

A different slant on same question. What if you can still work just not at what your qualified to do. I am a journeymen pipefitter by trade, high school drop out. I have returned to school finishing my first year of college in about two weeks (yeh!) I have to work becuase my wife can't hold job for different disability issues, wont get into that. But what is out there to help make ends meet till I finish school? I can't handle the physical labor jobs anymore but thats all I am qualified to do. Standing for more then 20 mins becomes painful and uncomfortable.
                    COURAGE IS BEING SCARED TO DEATH- BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY ~JOHN WAYNE~

Comment

hi! i'm having the same problem too. i started a new job in december so i dont have sick time to use. but i've been out of work twice already to be hospitalized with flare ups. im scared to apply again for disability because i think i may be denied again. but i cant afford to keep missing work. should i try again for the disability? the last time, my episode cleared up before the appointments for disability. im so frustrated (and broke!), i dont kno what to do. any advice would be appreciated ~~~tiffany

Comment

Originally posted by Greg View Post
                        A different slant on same question. What if you can still work just not at what your qualified to do. I am a journeymen pipefitter by trade, high school drop out. I have returned to school finishing my first year of college in about two weeks (yeh!) I have to work because my wife can't hold job for different disability issues, won't get into that. But what is out there to help make ends meet till I finish school? I can't handle the physical labor jobs anymore, but thats all I am qualified to do. Standing for more then 20 mins becomes painful and uncomfortable.
                        Greg are there any programs at your school like being a teaching assistant? At the university where I'm going for grad school they get free tuition which is a huge expense.

Or maybe doing estimates or taking client calls for one of the companies you used to work for?

Kudos to you for going back to school after being diagnosed. I did the same thing and although I never wanted to change careers in the first place, I love my new one, make decent money and have flexible opportunities for my unpredictable future. Hang in there!
                        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                        Anonymous

Comment

Is intermittent leave the same thing as FMLA?

Can I ask how old any of your were when you were approved for disability? Why do I think the magic age is 50 - is it easier to get SSD then or did I make this up.

Next question - if I do reduce my hours due to helath issues - do they have to keep me at the same hourly salary?

Helpppppp - I have learned to make the necessary changes to my life but this one is difficult.

Kathy
                          Kathy

Comment

Working...
                          X