No announcement yet.

Swollen feet/legs anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hope the quantum 600 helps, i have also experienced the weeping sores and it can be the step before cellulitis, I need some new compression stockings at present but finances are tight so i have been using the ACE bandages but even with the compression stockings or bandages you are correct that getting your legs higher than your heart is the best thing to help- i try to spend some time lying on my bed with the leg portion raised each day and basically if i did this all the time as well as stockings or bandages- there would be no problems but when i cut corners, i pay.

i have to move home in 2 weeks and that means i have been spending more time with my legs down and i can tell, the swelling is getting denser again and i know that fluid oozing comes next then infection so i will be glad when the move is completed. i have a quantum blast and it elevates and reclines but not as much as you describe, something to watch for in my next chair (must admit this quantum blast has been my best so far!)

Comment

Originally posted by hunterd View Post
      hi foggyrose, my lower legs and feet swell too. my dr rxed compression socks to help with the swelling. lack of weight bearing is the culprit. i haven`t found anything yet to decrease the swelling. i`m in a powerchair too. for the cold (which is 365 days a year) i wear extra heavy socks or slippers. i`ve tried many thing that claim to reduce the swelling, but nothing has worked yet. anyone have suggestions? good luck.

dave
      compression socks work well for me

Comment

Elevation, compression socks, even that circulation booster gadget.

That thing actually shows you exactly where the nerve damage is. Curly toes.

Mind you, it still hurts.

Comment

We bought the Circulation Booster for my husband and it helps ( when he uses it which isn't enough). Haven't tried compression stockings yet.

Do you have to have a prescription for the dr for these or can you buy them from the internet?

Comment

No script needed here, anyway, although it might make them cheaper to buy.

Comment

Has anyone here ever been referred to a certified lymphedema therapist for this? Some do work for home health agencies. It concerns me a bit that a person could progress to the point of weeping skin and never have been referred to a CLT.

Most of them are PTs and OTs. Your doc would have the write the script for treatment. Almost no docs, PTs or OTs have more than a mention of how to treat and manage lymphedema during their formal training. It is a specialized field that requires 135 hours of continuing education with hands on labs to become qualified to treat this properly.

A few links to get you started in finding someone qualified to treat this:

http://www.lymphnet.org/resourceGuid...eTherapist.htm

Two of the best and most well-known schools that keep lists of graduates:

http://www.nortonschool.com/managementtraining.html

http://klosetraining.com/

I'm a CLT myself. I wish we were neighbors, because I'd love to be able to use my training to help more people with this than I have.
              I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

I forgot to add, the poster whose nurse friend wrote up the long comment of excellent advice -> spot on. There is more a person can do to help themselves with this, depending on personal limitations.

If you can move in a way to flex at the hips, do that. If you can use your hands and learn the manual lymphatic drainage sequence, excellent. Of course it helps if you can flex the knees, feet and toes as well. But if not, you can do the deep breathing exercises to help draw the fluid up through the thoracic duct. ROM, manual lymphatic drainage, light exercise and compression garments are the main components of managing this.

Foggyrose, if any of this sounds doable for your situation, I would recommend finding a CLT (possibly a home health - RN, PT, PTA, OT, OTA, physiatrist, doesn't matter) and getting a script from the doc for an evaluation. There are several stages of lymphedema and weeping skin is a sign of progressing through to more chronic stage. Ted hose and ace bandage wraps aren't going to cut the mustard at this point.
                I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

I haven't been here in some time and was really surprised to see more responses. This is another one of those "MS things" the doctors don't mention until it happens......and JJ, I've never heard of a CT! Will definitely do some checking on the subject. The home health nurses have been coming once a week to put Unna Boots and Ace bandages on my legs.

There have been a couple times when they were too tight so I took them off a couple days early. Well........within two days my legs/feet/toes looked like balloons with fluid actually dripping onto the floor from places where the skin had split open. Yuck! The boots do work well for me, but it would be so nice to have my "normal" legs/feet back again..........but it would also be wonderful to have my old life back again too.

Thanks so much for all the great suggestions and comments. You guys are the greatest.

Take care.........

Comment

hi, again............

since I last wrote, I have been to a foot Dr. He wrapped my foot and leg and told me to leave it on for 3 days. After that my leg was back to normal, well, all shriveled skin and dry, but small!, that didn't last more than a coupe of days. My husband would rewrap my leg which helped. I also got a pair of compression socks. They are hard to get on for my husband, and I can't do it. It does help A LOT for me to sleep with my legs up in bed. After I get up they swell as soon as I get up and sit on the toilet!

Thank you jumpinjiminy for the website. I'll check that out

Comment

Swelling ankles

Hi,

I also have problems with my ankles swelling. It seems like when I'm having the worse problems, my right leg doesn't want to lift high enough to get into bed easily and I have a mattress and box spring that are fairly high. I recently found an easy way to lift my leg up to swing it into bed. I had this strip (about 6"x4' long) of some type of stretchy rubber that's used to exercise. I hold an end in each hand and slip it under my right foot. I then can pull up my leg and swing it into bed. Sometimes the simplest things........

Comment

I have read that the lymph system is passive. Meaning that it doesn't have a pump like the blood but uses muscle contractions to move it. So obviously any movement you can manage will help, even if it is picking up your legs manually with your hands or wiggling likethe previous poster said. A caretaker can also help by "bicycling" your legs.

Another good way to move lymph is lymph massage. Using a brush or light finger pressure work from the extremities in towards the heart. If you cannot manage this a caretaker can help. You can google lymph massage for more detailed explanations.

Most health insurance including Medicare will not cover long term assistance. But most do cover short term (even in home) or rehab so that you can learn how to minimize damage from stagnant lymph and blood. This can then be done at home or by having a caretaker watch and learn.
                        I don't fall, the floor attacks me. The corner of the bed is in on it too.

Comment

Hi muse 7.....

Thanks for the info regarding "lymph"....I'm off to google next. Hopefully it will be something I can manage for myself since there isn't anyone around here on a permanent basis to help. The home nurses have discharged me since the blisters aren't leaking at present.....good old insurance. NOT! I feel like I'm living in the dark ages here in this part of the country since there isn't any such therapy available.....nor was I ever told about it. I really appreciate your input....thanks......foggy

Comment

I've been avoiding this forum because I feel bad, because I'm okay, really, all things considered.
                            Compared to what so many of you are going through, I feel like a whiney sook.
                            Don't feel the need to say it's all right. I know it is.

Comment

Leg Swelling

I have fought the leg swelling problem for over ten years, about the length of time I have been using a wheelchair full time. You should seek out a medical professional that treats this condition and follow his treatment plan. I had lymthodema treatment about 4 years ago and was fitted for compression garments. I did not replace the compression garments as instructed and my feet started swelling some. I am going through the treatment again because I can't afford to loose part or all of my feet. This time I was told the maximum time you should ever be without the compression garment is 20 min.

I was diagnosed with MS in 1984 but had my first problems in the 1970s. I am still going at 65 thanks to my power chair and accessible van that I drive.

Comment

Originally posted by foggyrose View Post
                                My neuro said it's lymph edema from immobility....Ouch! I use a powerchair all the time and can still stand for a couple minutes hanging on for dear life, but am unable to take a step.

My feet, ankles and lower legs swell horribly. They are painful, very heavy and usually either hot or cold to the touch. Between the swelling and neuropathy, I can only stand to wear slippers or some clogs. Does anyone else have this problem and if so, do you have any solution? My doctor said he'd have to "hang me upside down" to get the lymph to circulate back up my legs. I didn't take him up on that idea! lol!

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.......
                                My feet are also swollen most of the time. I even went to a cardovascular guy to check out my circulation. It was fine. All he said "Keep your toes above your nose". In other words, keep your feet elevated. He made me feel like a hycondriac!

Comment

Working...
                                X