MS Hug ... How long does it last?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS Hug ... How long does it last?

I'm having a flare up. From what I've read on here and from my neurologist, it's nicknamed an "MS Hug". So I've had this symptom for 11 days now. I'm on my 4th day of oral steroids. How long will this last? I know it's different for everyone. But I only have 2 more days of steroids and it hasn't let up. I'm getting really discouraged.
    DX'd 10-7-05

"We may be ill, but we are not weak!" - Montel Williams

Hi Zuckergirl

The MS hug was one of the presenting symptoms (along with others) at the time of my dx.

Mine started in May 2009 (was formally dx'd July 2009) and lasted about 6 months.

It is the most aggravating feeling. Just remember, it is different for everybody. I hope you get some relief soon.

Sneaky P
    Diagnosed July 1st 2009 ~ RRMS

They're not brain lesions...they're bight ideas

Comment

For me, it lasted over a year. But the worst of it passed in about 6 weeks.

My doc tested for all kinds of digestive things but never thought of MS. After I (finally) went to a neurologist (on my own) I was told it was MS but no steroids were recommended.

Comment

MS hug

I just encountered MS hug with my latest flare up. I am going on 4 weeks now. While it has significantly decreased since I finished the oral steroids it still comes and goes enough to be really a pain. I am hoping it will continue to lessen even more as more time passes.

I have noticed that when my anxiety spikes i get the "hug" right away and more intense. So for me the key is staying well rested and keeping my anxiety under control. I hope you get some relief soon.

Comment

Ms Hug

My hug has lasted years. I cannot stand to wear a bra.
          It sure makes it diffacult to dress up and feel pretty I wear vests and scarves alot.
          Leslee

Comment

Does the "hug" always have to wrap around the chest area or can it be localized in an area such as on the back. Is it worse lying down or does that not even affect it?

Comment

MINE LASTED 3 WEEKS

hI. MS Hug was one of my presenting symptoms at diagnosis along with loss of joint position sensation at the left shoulder. It lasted 3 or 4 weeks without any treatment so i'l bet it will buzz off very shortly xxxxx
              Love and hugs as ive had ms for 20 years and still doing well but have to say that my one experience of the MS Hug is one of the most horrible SX ive experienced. Thank goddness that it tends to be farely short lived.

Comment

Hi! Sorry you're having a flair. My MSHUG is always just above my waist under my ribs. I find it comes & goes.
                My flairs always impare my walking & use of legs,but I've been having some optic nuritsis (sp?) That makes me crazy as I read a lot!
                I was DX in May 2000w/ RRMS. Keep us posted God Bless Nona Judy

Comment

I was DX with MS in 2000 and have had the MS hug on and off since then. Have had a lot more recently but don't know why. It is always on my left side above the waist just under the rib cage and when it hits it just about drops me to my knees. Sometimes just laughing, turning, breathing, or just about anything will set it off. Feels like a huge muscle spasm squeezing so tightly. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Comment

I am sorry you are in such pain. I just recently starting having them, and the worst of it only happened for a day - I cannot imagine it lasting much longer than that. HUGS and I hope it is getting better for you. I find it to be a terribly annoying and painful symptom.
                    Sasha - dx January 2011; tysarbi, zanaflex, gabapentin, and baclofen
                    ~Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.~

Comment

I still have a mild 'half' of a MS hug. It's on my right side only, and it goes from my underarm to the middle of my chest. It's worse when I lay down, and my neuro thinks its due to a lesion on my T1
                      Diagnosed July 1st 2009 ~ RRMS

They're not brain lesions...they're bight ideas

Comment

SEEMS LIKE A LIFETIME!
                        Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

MS hugs are no fun thats for sure. Like everyone has said they can last awhile. But my Dr. did say that even though we need the steriods, they can add to the death grip we call MS hug hang in there and I'm sorry you have to deal with it.
                          Life is like a coin u can spend it any way u want, but u can only spend it once!

Comment

In the past they have only lasted a few weeks, but I've had one for several mos now. This one is mildly uncomfortable (like my bra is too tight).

I have had some that made it very uncomfortable to take deep breaths, but thankfully none that I would classify as "painful".
                            DX 10/2008
                            Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
                            Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
                            Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

Originally posted by Toomnyhats View Post
                              In the past they have only lasted a few weeks, but I've had one for several mos now. This one is mildly uncomfortable (like my bra is too tight).

I have had some that made it very uncomfortable to take deep breaths, but thankfully none that I would classify as "painful".
                              Toomy.. thanks for completing my thought. I have an awful time taking in a deep breath and this goes on for months at a time. One of my doctors calls it air hunger.
                              Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Working...
                              X