Heavy leg feeling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heavy leg feeling

My legs work just fine, but does anyone get like a heavy leg feeling or kind of an achy feeling. It is like I can move them normally, but if I am laying down they just seem like less of a regular part of my body that just moves without thinking about it.

I saw your post on the weakness thread. I have the same feeling, top to toe, including eyes, shoulders, arms, legs. When I walk for a long time my legs start to shake. Last week I went out for a little walk in the forest, that turned out longer than expected, and I could barely make it back home. The only thing that would keep me walking home, would be the stray dogs out there, that I don't want to meet up with I used to run a lot and I was so proud of my self when two summers ago I finally reached my goal of running 10 kms. Then it all started to come down. I can no longer run, or if I run I get the rubbery legs and I can last about 2 mins before I am done.
    I wish I could just start being very active and get the thrill of a good exercise.
    I asked on other threads if the fatigue pills would combat this sort of tiredness. I will go next week and get my iron and vitamin B levels checked out, to just make sure they're not the culprits.
    RRMS Diagnosed December 2009,
    on Copaxone December 2009-October 2011 -
    Starting interferons hopefully soon.

Comment

Hi TalknMS, welcome to MSWorld!

I kinda can relate to what your feeling with the legs. When mine start to feel heavy (which doesn't happen too often, now that I'm on baclofen) I know that the spasticity is starting in.

During the summer when it's really humid I do still get that heavy feeling in them though. If I can get into the air conditioned house and put ice on them, the heaviness goes away in a very short time.

Comment

How long have you had MS? When did you start these symptoms?

I have been dealing with heavy leg/achey thighs since May 2008 (when I had IVSM for three days and 100mg taper 4x in a year). I am still on sterioids. Three drs including rheumy and neuro say prednisone myopothy but I am convinced that this is MS because I have some nonspecific lesion or whateverin my whitematter.

Iwent an MS clinic in RI and he said guidlines dont diagnose on an MRI?
        I am 31f and have anxietythrough the roof on a daily basis and have a rare bleeding problem.

Comment

I am very much like maple.

I used to walk 10 miles a week on my treadmill, but I can't even get on it now.
          Legs are very "wobbly", and the left much worse than the right. The left was the first to get slight symptoms about 3 years ago.
          Both legs have that heavy feeling, left worse, but no aches.

I have had spasms in the left leg, but they have got stronger in the past few days. I am going to try Baclofen once I find out it wont interfere with the Ty I am starting.

The heavy feeling, and the numbness in the leg and feet are a real balance problem.

This does suck, doesn't it?

Comment

Heavy legs before/after huge ON attack

During the time of 2001 when I had my big ON attack = it was accompanied by Heavy Leg Syndrome! Yes, I can sympathize very much with diagnosed MS people who have this symptom!

One of the worst things was I had a shift car and could not lift my leg to do the shift or gas or brake sometimes....especially when changing from one to the other the way you have o do with a gear shift. So I tied a rope to each leg and lifted it with that. Sorry everybody that doesn't sound safe .... but at the time I had no choice but to also live in my van. Eventually I did get stopped and huge ticket over that issue...so justice does prevail I guess.

As I have said in previous postings...I rambled down the street dragging the soles of my shoes off rapidly due to the fact that i couldn't lift my legs off ground. This was different than foot drop. To get up from a sitting chair; was quite a joke. I had to slowly move my legs inch by inch until got in position. People were looking at me like "why are you playing with your legs?"

Since I am overweight just about everybody attributed my problems to that. One person even said my ON was caused by fat in my face blocking the nerves.

I am quite a writer. I would like to write something where I accumulate all of these most inner circle MS symptoms or neurological symptoms and sort of show the world in a book or something. Show the people of the world what it is really like to have MS and so they won't be so cynical.

Comment

Mine get like that - especially toward the end of the day or if I have been walking a lot that day. They feel disconnected from me - like stumps of wood that my body moves and are heavy. My knees still move via me - but feel like they could stop working at any moment too. Very strange feeling indeed.
              Sasha - dx January 2011; tysarbi, zanaflex, gabapentin, and baclofen
              ~Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.~

Comment

Heavy Leg...

My weakest leg is my right...they call it foot drop so I'll go with that. I must say that I too have had the heavy leg problem. Not as much lately. Not sure what changed, I tried baclofen but didnt see a difference (although I think that is more for spacsify (sp?) so I stopped. Also tried amprya, again didnt notice a difference, so I stopped that as well. Now, just doing the avonex injections once a week which I have been taking since diagnosis (1999). my legs do not feel as tired or heavy lately but the foot drop is not my friend.
                Patti
                Diagnosed 2/11/99
                Avonex 3/2/99
                Tried Tecfidera for 3 weeks. Couldn't handle side affects. Back on Avonex, for now.

Comment

I tell everyone my legs feel like I have lead weights on them. I realize it's the spasticity, and I take baclofen, but it doesn't help as much as I would like. Just walking a few steps is like walking yards for me, and it tires me out so fast. A trip to the store is now a dreaded task, because I know I will be down and out for a minimum of a day!
                  MS, it's a brain thang!
                  Proud to have served, U.S Army WAC

Comment

This is by far the worst MS symptom I have ever experienced. It has been 1 yr for me now with heavy legs. My Dr also said it is due to the spasticity, which I know I have really bad. When I get cold, even the slightest bit, the spasticity kicks into high gear and I stiffen up. The heavy (lead feeling) legs are with me 24-7 though. I hate it. I can't run at all....I'm on my toes if I try and my knees just will not bend. With that said, I think it's all extensor spasticity for me. My plantarflexors combined with my quads, and probably hip extensors too. I feel like the tin man who weighs about 500 lbs, and in reality I only weigh 113 at 5'7. Did I mention already that I hate this? I have tried Baclofen for several months and it did nothing. I will be trying botox injections next month. I'm hoping it will help because I just want to be able to move freely again.

Comment

Originally posted by salamandertom View Post
                      They feel disconnected from me - Very strange feeling indeed.
                      Great way to explain it...I have this as well and have a hard time expressing how it feels to others who don't know.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do “practice”?

Comment

I've been sick with the flu all week, and I can tell you that the heavy leg gets MUCH worse with the flu! With the spasticity, PLUS the joint aches...ugh. I thought the fatigue was bad before, now, the thought of walking a couple feet to the bathroom is exhausting.
                        MS, it's a brain thang!
                        Proud to have served, U.S Army WAC

Comment

X-RAY

I feel like I have a weighted pants on, or like when you go to the dentist and get x-rays done, that led jacket. You can still move your feet but it takes effort.

Comment

I've got the same symptom especially after doing anything physical like working in the yard. I'm also starting to have really stiff legs with a Frankenstein walk for the first 1-2 hours of the day. I'll be starting on amantadine soon as suggested by my Neuro, I hope it helps.

Comment

Heavy Leg -

MSTOO: You are so right, frankenstein legs. Never thought of that before, but I used to get that right as I got out of bed but it went away. I am noticing it more and more these days. It doesnt last though, by the time I get to the bathroom and take a shower, it passes.
                              Patti
                              Diagnosed 2/11/99
                              Avonex 3/2/99
                              Tried Tecfidera for 3 weeks. Couldn't handle side affects. Back on Avonex, for now.

Comment

Working...
                              X