Stomach Spasms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stomach Spasms

Has anyone experienced stomach muscle spasms? I've had them for several days. They come and go. Are similar to labor pains - pain starts low, increases, and then ebbs. I don't know which doctor to see about this. Does anyone think this is MS?

I'm not sure if it is or isn't MS but I get those very often. I double over with some of them. I can't even move sometimes.

I don't have insurance right now but when I do that's another thing on my list of things to ASK.

I hope you are able to find out and get something to help.
    Dx MS Aug 2010 (after 2 years of searching)
    Started Copaxone Aug. 2010

Comment

I can relate

I get the stomach spasms from time to time, twice in the past 4 months. My first bout scared me so bad because it was really strong pain. I went to the urgent care center and they were sure it was my appendix. After being sent to the ER and racking up some good expenses, I learned it was muscles spasms. I really thought the doctor was wrong. The pain was horrible and so sharp. But after a few days, the pain moved around a little and began to ease at times, then spike again.

My doctor increased my gabapentin and said if the spasms continue I could start new meds to treat the spasms. I chose to ride it out and haven't started a new medicine.

I hope you are feeling better soon. Rest if you can. Too much movement definitely aggravated the situation for me.

Comment

Omg that is so weird you are bringing this up. Atleast twice a day for the last 3 days, I have felt my stomach spazz out and not just a twitch, It moves.

Comment

I wonder if that is similar to whats happened to me a few times recetntly. Kinda more wierd than painful, starts under my breastbone and snakes downward, the repeats a few times before stopping.

Sorry if my description is a bit vague but its the best I can do at the moment......

DocGomer Doctor of, Been There, Done That.

Comment

Gomer that is exactly how i feel when it happens.

Comment

Yes. Very painful. And I get them inside where the girlie parts are too. It feels like someone is grabbing and squeezing with all their might. It's so painful I can't stand up or walk when it's happening. Then there was the abdominal spasm that hit the whole lower ab section and came on like a labor pain. I was panting like a woman in labor. It hit me while driving the car. I almost had to pull over. Ouch.

I mentioned them to my doc and he thinks they're muscle spasms. Had an entire gyny work up last year for it and they found nothing.
              I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

Originally posted by clweavr0 View Post
                Has anyone experienced stomach muscle spasms? I've had them for several days. They come and go. Are similar to labor pains - pain starts low, increases, and then ebbs. I don't know which doctor to see about this. Does anyone think this is MS?
                A person with MS can experience spasms in any muscle of the body.

A PWMS can also have conditions that cause spasms or other symptoms other than M.S.

If you are having a new symptom, please call your GP and ask to be seen.
                Don't always assume it's M.S.

That said.. I have spasms in my intestines, diaphragm, throat and tongue to name a few.

I am prescribed Baclofen and Soma and also diazepam for really bad ones.
                Faith, Hope & Love
                Gina
                MS 1988 SPMS 2005

Comment

I Have those ALL the time sometimes double me over in screaming pain. I mentioned them to my Neuro, who also has MS and knew exactly what I was talking about. Who also gets them to the point of being doubled over.

I would mention it to one of your Docs to get an opinion and if nothing else to get it documented in your file.

OUCH I know how bad they can be good luck
                  Dx'd RRMS 7/12/2010, Back in the Prob. Pile 2/1/2011 "Jump, and you will find out how to unfold your wings as you fall”...Ray Bradbury

Comment

Years ago I had some right under my ribcage that would double me over. They were diagnosed as gall bladder spasms. I had them off and on for a few weeks, then they went away for a few years and I started having them again for a few days. They were just quick, double you over spasms. It helps that it happened sitting in the waiting room of the doctor's office.

With this flare up over the summer, I started having them again.
                    I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

Thank God I found this thread! Recently I started getting muscle spasms in my stomach. They are not very painful though. My abdomen just contracts very quickly and briefly on its own.

I take clonazepam (.5 mg twice daily) regularly along with Lyrica (75 mg twice daily). Maybe the neuro needs to increase the dose?

Did anyone have these less painful spasms before they developed into what sounds to be a horribly painful experience?

I feel for you all and hope you find relief soon.

Comment

Don't rule out GI problems. Robyn

Comment

Glad to hear I'm not alone. I get them as well.
                          Jen

Comment

I told my Neuro I am waiting for the 6 pack to start to show from all the spasms, at least I could get some benefit from them!
                            Dx'd RRMS 7/12/2010, Back in the Prob. Pile 2/1/2011 "Jump, and you will find out how to unfold your wings as you fall”...Ray Bradbury

Comment

i can relate, jumpinjimmy descrition could have been me! i get the really intense muscle tightening right through the lower abdomen and through the girlie bits- i have no control over it, the muscles just contract as if i were trying to give birth to an elephant- i have an sp catheter and when it happens i leak around the catheter and from below aswell as from the bowel too at times- so as soon as i feel it starting i dash to the bathroom as quck as possible but onece it has really started i cannot control my legs well enough to transfer- its dreadful!

sometimes it seems to happen out of the blue but it does happen more if constipated, or if i have a UTI but even bending forward when sitting in my wheelchair, such as if i am doing up a shoe etc, can be enough to trigger it. the last few times i have had my sp catheter changed it has caused the same intense pain- so much so that i dread to have it changed now- it is something i will be trying to get some help with at my next appointment, i take propanthine, baclofen and when i have the catheter changed take valium just before but it is still awful!

Comment

Working...
                              X