testing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

testing?

How many of you have had neuropsychological testing? Do you receive SSDI? Was the testing instrumental in the decision.
    I'm questioning whether i can continue in my current field (was laid off) and unsure what to do.
    Memory, balance and stamina seem to be my prime issues. Gee did i mention i made decent money at my last job and will be 50 on my birthday.

Testing

I did have neuropsych testing done, and was awarded SSDI. I had the short version done--just a few hours--not all day, my insurance company would not pay for the full version. I was 52, on disability due to an excerbation.

I was interviewed by the physician before the exam, and it is important to be honest and accurate during this process. I had a very stressful job and was fatigued and confused most of the time. I detailed the mistakes I was making an how that frieghtened me. This position involved taking care of people and the errors were so far just paperwork mistakes, but the thought of making a mistake involving a patient scared me half to death, which only added to the stress. Many of the mistakes I was not even aware of until someone called or paperwork was returned.

I could really do nothing but go to work, come home go to bed and go to work the next day. Weekends were spent trying to catch up, and sleeping. Not much of a life.

My cognative impairment was moderate at that time. So the testing did validate what I thought was happening. I was depressed, dizzy and down. I was approved, and the relief was only spoiled by having to admit that I was having problems and my working career was at an end. Five years later, things are better. I can rest when I need to. I see my family and I'm able to take care of what I need to, always knowing that I don't have the additional stress of working everyday.

I too was making decent money and SSDI is not much, but I've adjusted to that too. I was lucky that I was approved within 3 months, so I was still on disability and had lots of sick time from work so I was never without an income. The two years till Medicare was difficult $500.00 a month for COBRA, but I was covered and do not have huge medical debt.

Good luck to you, hope my tale helps a little.

Comment

I have no any idea about testing...please can anyone provide me complete information.

Comment

My neuropsych test took 4 hours and was tested by a neurophychiatrist. I took the test based on my neuro's reccomdation, b/c I was applying for SSDI and thought it would help my application process. I had lots of anxiety about test-taking in general, so wasn't looking forward to it.

Can't remember everything, but we first discussed my psychological/emotional and social history as well as current. (childhood, family, etc) Also talked about the fact that I suffered from depression and was seeing a counselor.

One part of the test was based on learning and memory - both auditory recall (he read a story and I had to recall as much information as I could - I didn't do well) and visual recall (we worked with geometric designs and other stuff - that part was fun).

Another test was the basic IQ test. (vocab, block designs, math, etc)

Then a test about attention/concentration - repeating digits in order and backwards, etc.

Then he tested my thought processing speed (can't remember what we did, but I didn't do too well)

There were more but it was more than two years ago. Needless to say, I passed (or rather failed) and got accepted for SSDI.

Being informed will probably help any anxiety and will empower you to know more on what to expect, so read up as much as you can! You might want to let the neuropych know how you feel right away so he will take this into consideration. Mine did!

Let me reassure you, in hindsight it was not as stressful as anticipated, but it was exhausting!

Hope this help you and good luck!
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Working...
        X