Help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help!!!

I have been working at the same company for eighteen months. It is a fast paced customer service position that does collections.

For the last 10 months I have been battling fatigue and cognition issues. I have good days and not so good days.

A month ago, my boss called me in the office and told me If I did not hit goal this month I was most likely a goner by the middle of Jan. The last thing I want to do is get fired and then get no unemployment for lack of performance.

After weeks of inner struggles I went to HR and pretty much told them everything. I asked for a leave, which I am sure will end up morphing into LTD. The only problem I have is that my company owns the insurance company that does the STD and LTD. I have to sign a release of my all of my rights medical and otherwise in order to be considered for the leave. In addition, I may be turned down for STD if they determine I have a "disability".

I am stressed, here I was hoping this would be a way to ease the tension in my life. Instead I am freaked and frightened. Has anyone gone through anything like this? If so, advice would be welcome.

*** Moderator's note - line spacing added for easier reading. Many members have difficulty reading large blocks of text.

Hey asiel1,

I am currently on LTD from my employer and applying for SSDI. You should get the plan documents from your employer and read through them. Usually there is a one year exclusion period for pre-existing conditions in the LTD policy, but you have already made it passed that. Hopefully, you can start your leave soon and concentrate on yourself. Be thankful that your company has a LTD policy as many don't and then people have to try and make it on SSDI alone.

Good luck!

Comment

Losing your job

I am sorry that I cannot give you any insight on how to determine whether or not you should be applying for STD or LTD. I can, however, tell you with just about absolute certainty, that a person who is terminated from their job due to performance issues IS entitled to receive unemployment insurance. As long as you were not terminated for reasons related to dishonesty (ie. embezzlement, fraud, theft, etc.) then in all likelihood you WOULD be eligible.

All states have information available online about their unemployment insurance/compensation procedures. If you are terminated I suggest that you apply for unemployment immediately. There is often a short waiting period after you are approved before the checks start arriving.

Good luck. Let us know how it all turns out.

Comment

thanks

Thank you for your kind replies. This has been the hardest choice I have ever made in my entire life. It is nice to know I am not alone.

L

Comment

The hardest thing for you is going to be the timing of your discussion with HR with the timing of your boss laying it on the line to you. They could be difficult and say you only requested leave after your boss told you about needing to make the numbers.

What you need to do is make sure you have all your ducks in a row from your side of the fence. Get your neurologists office involved and have them provide a letter stating you are not able to perform your tasks due to a disability.

I would also contact your local ADA office and ask if your company can force you to sign a waiver and if they can, do you have the right to specify exactly who can see the details of your confidential information (for example people who are exclusively handling the claim only.)

I also agree with getting your hands on the plan documents. As an employee, you have a right to them and they have a specific period of time to turn them around to you. Additionally, I'm fairly sure most plans have done away with the pre-existing conditions clauses, but you'll only know after you read it.

Comment

Working...
          X