HcG Drops = Helpful for MS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HcG Drops = Helpful for MS?

So our local TV station did this investigation of the new fad of taking HcG drops as a dietary supplement to lose weight. Surprisingly, their report came back that it does work.

But weight loss aside (not that I couldn't stand to lose 2,3, or 50 pounds), my question is that as I've heard MS symptoms are worse during pregnancy, and HcG is a hormone made in abundance during pregnancy, is it possible these drops would help stave off MS symptoms in those not pregnant?

This question is open to ANYONE! I am not very knowledgeable about supplements, etc... but if there is something to make my MS symptoms go away for a while AND I shed a few pounds, then that seems like a win-win to me.
    Erin
    DX RRMS 10/04, SPMS 05/10
    DMD: Avonex (2/10-5/10) Now on Rebif (6/10) & Gabapentin (1800 mg daily)

Originally posted by msphoenix View Post
    ... I've heard MS symptoms are worse during pregnancy...
    Hi msphoenix:
    It's odd that you would have heard this, because the prevailing belief is that MS symptoms are better during pregnancy and that relapses are not uncommon after delivery when estrogen levels drop, leading to the clinical testing of estrogen/estradiol as a means of staving off MS symptoms and slowing the progression of MS. HcG might play a role in the diminished symptoms, as well. If HcG lessens MS symptoms during pregnancy, how is it possible that MS symptoms would get worse during pregnancy in the presence of HcG?

Check the website of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society for information about Pregnancy, Delivery and the Post Partum Period. Where did you hear that MS is worse during pregnancy?

Comment

Just echoing Redwings here...it's widely believed, by both patients and medical professionals, that pregnancy causes MS symptoms to go into remission for many women. Things get better, not worse.

The mechanism appears to be a hormone called estriol, which is secreted by the placenta during pregnancy.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0323104949.htm

Comment

I apologize for the error in my OP.

I meant to ask if anyone believes HcG drops would be helpful to those with MS since pregnancy seems to make symptoms subside or get better.

(Hence the title of the thread "HcG Drops = Helpful for MS?")
        Erin

Comment

Originally posted by msphoenix View Post
          I apologize for the error in my OP.

I meant to ask if anyone believes HcG drops would be helpful to those with MS since pregnancy seems to make symptoms subside or get better.

(Hence the title of the thread "HcG Drops = Helpful for MS?")
          No problem, msphoenix!

I can't speak for Redwings, but I know in my case I tend to zip past the thread title and pay attention to the post itself.

Anyway, I don't know of any evidence linking HcG to remission of symptoms during pregnancy. As I said, it's estriol that appears to do the trick. But I also don't know offhand of any reason why HcG drops would hurt MS-wise.

Comment

I used HCG shots years ago, for a few months.

I never noticed any difference in my MS but the HCG shots did help me get pregnant
            Diagnosed 1984
            “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by Sequoia View Post
              No problem, msphoenix!

I can't speak for Redwings, but I know in my case I tend to zip past the thread title and pay attention to the post itself.

Anyway, I don't know of any evidence linking HcG to remission of symptoms during pregnancy. As I said, it's estriol that appears to do the trick. But I also don't know offhand of any reason why HcG drops would hurt MS-wise.
              That's exactly what I needed to know.

Thank you Sequoia!!
              Erin

Comment

It is possible for you to take HCG drops if you have MS. However, always consult your doctor before starting any kind of diet, especially if you have MS.
                Kale

Comment

Working...
                X