Can't sleep in bed 4 leg pain so bad-HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't sleep in bed 4 leg pain so bad-HELP

It started out with leg spasms, then months later, while in bed the same area that i had the spasms i had sharp burning pain. Started in calf, then hip then it was like a hot poker going down from hip to calf. Now when lying down to sleep, (with or without sleeping pills), after awhile i wake with the stabbing, burning pain. i tried a pillow between the legs ( from the great idea's that some of you have posted). So now what i've tried is to sleep in my lazy boy, no pain. After a couple of days of that i tried the bed again. After a couple of hours, the it was pain so bad, back to the lazy boy. Each nite i try the bed now and still in up in lazy boy. Now i have a new area of pain, my thigh.
    Any ideas ????
    That is if your still all awake, sorry it's so long.
    What drugs are u on u ask well here they are;
    Copaxone--Baclofen 20 mg 4x's d for spasms--Lycira 300 mg 2xd for pain and started Savella 50mg 2xd on 2nd week
    for pain.
    So any ideas or any in same boat

I've had a little bit of luck with jamming a pillow under my knees, but my spasms are in the lower legs.

Comment

I've been taking Baclofen for the spasms and spasticity, but it wasn't enough for the severe back pain I was experiencing on Monday. I tossed and turned for several hours and just could not find a comfortable way to lay in bed. Tried the recliner and it was just as bad. Laid on my stomach and got some relief, but I was still having spasms down into my gluteus.

Finally I got the bright idea of taking a Flexaril. They were originally prescribed to me before the Baclofen, so I've got plenty. The Flexaril did the trick - helped those pains subside so I could sleep.

I asked what other people did on another forum, and a couple of people suggested slamming a couple of Flexaril before bed. I've been doing that ever since, and it has helped a lot. I slept all the way through last night.
      "Nothing fixes a thing so intensely in the memory as the wish to forget it" - Michel de Montaigne
      Diagnosed May 2007, relapsing-remitting

Comment

I experience the same pain in other areas. I'm taking 1200mg Neurontin 3xday, 50 mg Tramadol 3xday, 25 mg Amitriptlyline at bedtime. I hate the dry mouth with amitriptlyline. These arn't helping. The only thing that helps is sitting up.

Today, I went to a pain physician. She told me I am on a lot of meds now. She could change some but have same side affects. And we could go to narcotics (only if I want to sleep all day).

Talk to your Neuro about trying a different drug.

Right now I will do alot of sitting up. Good luck hope you find something that helps.

Comment

I only sleep in the bed once or twice a week. I have an old but comfortable recliner, a neck roll, and a pillow for under my calves. I almost always sleep better in the recliner.
          "I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future."

Comment

Originally posted by Blessings2You View Post
            I only sleep in the bed once or twice a week. I have an old but comfortable recliner, a neck roll, and a pillow for under my calves. I almost always sleep better in the recliner.
            I sleep in our recliner almost every night. Same deal, neck roll and pillow under my calf. When this started we went shopping for a recliner that fully reclines and that "fit" me. I can't tell you the difference in a night's sleep when I try to sleep in a bed versus in the recliner. I wake up in pain every hour or two when in bed, in a recliner I can sleep the whole night w/out have to change positions or the pain. I have no idea why...I just know it works for me

Comment

sleeping in bed

My legs seem to do better if there is some "pressure" on them. I don't know why. I have about 1,000 pillows in bed! I have an ITB , then at bedtime I take 900 Neurontin and 2 and a half Zanaflex. I have pillows over and under my legs so they feel a little sqeezed. It works as long as I don't get too hot. Sometimes I can get 4 uninterrupted hours this way. Sometimes I rest my thigh or calf muscle on my husbands leg or knee. That pressure seems to calm the spasms. He doesn't care, he can sleep through anything so why not use him! Maybe try calling your dr. to see if he will change yours Rx. Good Luck

Comment

Very interesting and timely post.

I too have severe spasticity and recently have a hard time sleeping without alot of pain. I have been having a very hard time even turning into different postitions as the pain and stiffness is so severe.

For those having better rest in a lazy boy recliner do you attribute it to being more upright ? I have read posts where many have said an elevated postition for your spine can relieve the pain. With recommendations to elevate your bed (forgot the term that is used) but can look it up.

And do you wake up stiff from the recliner since you haven't moved much ?

thanks.

Comment

I have degenerative joint disease as well as MS, and originally started sleeping in the recliner now and again because it was easier on my joints, especially shoulders and hips.

Then I found that I had fewer muscle spasms in my legs and feet in the recliner. Blankets over my feet tend to make my feet spasm (ow ow ow). In the recliner, I wear slipper sock thingies and of course the lightweight down comforter isn't tucked in.

I also tried on several recliners before finding the right one. I'm technically too short for the Catnapper I chose, but with a neck pillow, it's just right.

My recliner is almost 20 years old. I dread the day it conks out. I really should have some kind of automation, I guess, because some mornings it's difficult to lower the leg rest. Hate to change, though.
                  "I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future."

Comment

Thank u all for responding. Sure is nice to know that we are not alone, different but not alone !
                    One thing for sure is-- thanks for lazy boys !!!!
                    i guess i was wondering if their were people like me that the pain is bad laying down in bed, but ok to sleep in lazy boy with no pain and why is that ???
                    Yes, i see my dr. next week and will ask about different meds. But he had just added savella for pain the beginning of month.
                    As for if i'm stiff in the morning, yes, making to the bathroom is very interesting. The drunk walk, hunched over, holding my back and bouncing off of walls, surprised i made it.

Comment

as for the recliner

My therapist of all people noted that the reason I feel better laying in a recliner is because of the neutral and almost weightless position your body is able to be placed in. She recomended these things. 1st try sleeping on bean bag chairs in your bed. This will act like a recliner to perfection and get you in the exact position that is comfy. I tried it worked great! Then she suggested if cash was flowing to get one of those beds that bends like a hospital bed.

She said the most important thing was getting my body into the "neutral position". Hope this helps, sometimes bean bags are cheaper than recliners
                      Time is but a name we give to the passing moments of life, it is these moments that hold all the meaning.

Comment

Working...
                      X