Calcium orotate vs. Calcium citrate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calcium orotate vs. Calcium citrate

Does anyone know which of these forms of calcium is more easily absorbed by the bones? I am unable to find very much information about calcium orotate.
    Thanks!

Hi Nance,
    I was always told to take calcium citrate with vitamin D as the D helps absorption. I've never heard of calcium orotate so cant comment on that.
    I would ask your primary care doc to see what he/she recommends.
    - OTMOM

Comment

If you’re worried about calcium, reduce or stop drinking Caffeine.
      According to this article http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ng.html?cat=68 on page two, item 4. caffeine like to bond to calcium in your blood and bones when not enough in the blood.

I don’t know what happens after it bonds, but I’m guessing it is not good.
      Hopefully Tara will stop by and enlighten us.
      Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

As I understand it; orotate will go into the cell better and ionize once inside the cell. How does that affect your bones? Not much IMO. Because bone health should be a multifaceted approach.
        Clinically a big missing piece in the confusing saga of calcium is magnesium. I find most people don't get enough magnesium, and magnesium is used up so quickly by cellular reactions and sugar, stress, caffeine...

A quick clarification; the acidity of coffee requires a buffering agent. Calcium is the biggest buffer in the body. So calcium will be used 'up' in an acidic environment.
        Piece of the puzzle: eat a more alkaline diet for good bone health. Guess what you're going to get a lot of in an alkaline diet? magnesium (greens)
        NutritionTara
        Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

I was also looking into magnesium orotate. I have just started rethinking my Ca supplementation after taking a vegetarian cooking class. Think I will try to get more from proper diet than supplements.

As far as D-3 goes, I tested very low a year ago, started 5000 IU daily and was just retested at 66. Pretty good! So that should be a boon to the old bones as well.

Thanks for your responses!

Comment

I just added magnesium to my daily supplement intake due to what I have read on this board. I currently am taking 400mg in the evening right before I go to bed because I had read that was the best time. I know that I will have to increase the amt but was afraid to start out at a higher dosage since it also can impact on your GI tract (translation-you might have some bowel issues!!). I will increase my dosage in a few weeks.

I also have been having some issues with over-active bladder and magnesium freqently helps with that, too.

So I get two for one-help with stronger bones and a happier bladder!

yippee

lydialou

Comment

Working...
            X