Do handicap placards cross state lines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do handicap placards cross state lines?

Hi just wondered how one finds out if the placards can be used state to state?
    I found online CA demands a temp permit but how can one know this each state?
    Im looking at pa and de.
    Thanks (went to dmv sites but couldnt locate specifics)

Hi Sloth,

My vehicle has a HC plate but we have other vehicles so I also have a placard.

I have traveled to several different states through the years and have always used HC parking without a problem.

Your placard/plate is acceptable in any state. If you were to move to a differnet state then you would need to apply for HC plates/placard for that state.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

One question: do you mean as you travel or are you moving? I have a feeling the circumstances might be different.

Comment

I could be wrong but I think it works like your drivers license, different for each state. If you are going to be needing hadicap parking in a different state I could contact their DMV and get the info from that state, not the state you live in.
        Better to get the correct info then have to pay the parking ticket.

CrazyCatLady
        MS Does Not Define Me.....My Love of Tea Does! LOL!

Comment

This is from NC DMV web site, I had wondered this myself

Is the North Carolina handicap placard or plate recognized in other states?
          Yes. Other states recognize North Carolina placards and plates. In addition, local law enforcement will honor valid placards from other states or countries.
          Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

My answer is "YES" I live in MN and travel to WI frequently to visit my Grandkids. I use it in WI and have NEVER been questioned or ticketed. I do this quite often. It would be a very poor reflection for a state to ticket you for a non-state handicap placard.

On the other hand, if you move, you should reapply to your state of residence.

When I did a goggle search for this question, it did come up with the reply that yes, all state handicap placards are recognized and legal in every state, regardless of the state of issue.

Comment

Yes, you can use your placard in any state in the USA. I've been to Maine, Florida, Virginia and the Carolinas and never had a problem.
              “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
              Diagnosed 1979

Comment

Thanks If Im in doubt I will try to find out, calling dmv can be a long deal in a big state
                I really appreciate your replies.
                I do have a police officer as my bil but he is not the easiest or the most trust worthy to ask.

Comment

I have traveled in MANY states and NEVER ran into or even heard of ANYONE having a problem w/ out of state H/C tags/placards.

I could see a possable issue if you change residence across state lines. MAYBE if you move, they would give you a TEMP H/C tag/placard till you find a new doc and get a permanent one...That's about the only situatin it would sound reasonable to me.

Doc Gomer Doctor of, Been There, Done That.

Comment

A US placard issued by the DMV is valid in all States in the US, Canada & Mexico without any tickets. However, you may run into local police that may not be up on the law. In my experience, unless you are very abusive of the privileges you will not be bothered.
                    Bill
                    Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

thanks gomer and wkikta
                      I think I forgot to clarify it when someone asked..it is about travel not moving

I finally got around my procrastination to fill out a form and will ask my doc for sig'at my next appt.

Last summer I missed some indoor a/c events because I wouldnt walk long distances to doors.

Mostly for summer and those "bad" days..I just dont look fwd' to people looking at me and saying ummm thats handicapped you look fine.

Im grateful I can walk I just hate having to tell anyone else my business. But I will thank them for looking out for the space ugh.

It just grinds me they cant look for the placard first and assume you have a hidden malady like heart, lung etc...

I hope all ones personal info isnt on the tag you hang?
                      Ugh right there in the window?

Hey thanks guys and gals

Comment

Last year I went on a road trip from Rhode Island to West Virginia. My friend did all the driving and my card was honored in each and every state that we traveled through.

The only time it would be an issue is if you are not a passenger in the vehicle that it is being used in.

I have seen that happen, where a friend or spouse uses the card that is issued to the other person. That can cause the person to get a fine and you can lose the right to have the card too. Be very careful of that

Comment

The placard is also recognized in Europe. However, it is recommended that you get a local permit for the countries you will be in. It can make it much easier for you and avoids most confusion. Any EU country permit should be recognized anywhere in the EU.
                          Bill
                          Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

thanks wkikta and JoanFrancis
                            Gosh wish I could try it out in europe LOL but thats good info

Comment

I have it pretty much universal that they are very nice to the guy in the wheelchair with my travels. Lot of times very liberal weight limits on flights.
                              Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X