Need Advise or Legal Advisement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Advise or Legal Advisement

I have a job interview in Colorado working for the government, I have M.S. it doesn't effect me much, but I do walk with a noticeable limp. Should I tell this potential employer I have M.S. or should I make up a story why I limp if they ask ???

Thanks

Don't lie! There's really no need, and if the government finds out that you did they will never give you the job.

The Federal gov't in the USA is very good about hiring people with disabilities. After all, they're the ones who administrated the ADA.

My husband works for the Feds. He's shared an office with people with MS, Cerebral Palsy, and lots of other physical disabilities. Take heart....they're not going to discriminate against you just because you have MS. They're just looking for you to do the j-o-b.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
    “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
    Diagnosed 1979

Comment

Hi there

Hi there and good evening...I doubt very much that they will even ask u about your limp. They know that they might be fringing on human rights issues, so Im sure they are going to stay clear....rather they are going to be interested in your qualifications and what u have to offer them....

Good luck on your interview
      Gary

Comment

Hi Dynoman,

I am brand new here, and in fact your post was the very first one that I read. It is pretty much the exact reason that I've joined this forum: I need some legal advice on getting a job with the federal government. I have applied for a TSO (transportation safety officer) position, and have passed through every level of the application process. I did the last step, a medical evaluation, two months ago. It included an extensive questionnaire about every doctor I'd seen in the past few years, and every medication I was now taking (or had taken in the past few years). Like the others who have replied to your post, I felt it was NOT an option to lie. My MS does not affect me in any way, and I easily passed the physical exam; the doctor stated to me that I appeared to be in perfect health.

Today I received a FedEx letter telling me that I did not meet the qualifications for the job due to the fact that I was on "IMMUNOTHERAPY" (I take Copaxone). The letter stated that this put my health and travelers' health at risk due to my increased susceptibility to viruses. From all I have read about DMDs, and Copaxone in particular, this is NOT true. I am seeking advice about what to do.

I guess I am telling you this just to say that for some jobs with the Fed gov't, they can and will ask about your health history. A slight limp that doesn't affect job performance should not be a reason not to hire you. If they don't ask specifics about your health or medications, don't tell (don't ask/don't tell, right?). If they do ask, be honest, and also be aware of your rights to not be discriminated against.

Best of luck to you.

Comment

Don't lie!

I wouldn't volunteer that you've got MS, but I certainly wouldn't lie if they asked you about your limp.
          Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

As a person who used to do a lot of interviews for hiring folks, we were not allowed to ask outright if we saw a physical disability. All we could do is have them show us physically that they could preform the job that they were being interviewed for. That was the law.
            This is the day that the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it.

Have a great day, Leola

Comment

Not lie

I would not lie. I would not volunteer unless asked.

The next question from me is do we have to give them a current list of medications? That is the only way a current potential employer could have had anyway of a clue. They were all ready to hire me, until they saw the list of my medications.

I have not heard from them since. I have called and sent email and no return messages.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I feel it is related.
              God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

FYI

I talked to four Human Resource Managers and they responded that we do have to list medications. So I am thinking I am going to tell my neuro that I am going off Rebiff temporarily. I am on methotrexate also so I do not feel this is going to hurt me. That way I will not be lying if I leave the Rebiff off.
                God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Kelm10- Why did they ask for a meds list from you? that sounds very strange to me. Never had that asked of me.
                  Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Scooter24 View Post
                    Kelm10- Why did they ask for a meds list from you? that sounds very strange to me. Never had that asked of me.
                    Believe it or not all the jobs I've had have required a physical and a list of current medications. The good news is that I have always been hired because I guess at that point they had to take me. I was honest about MS but only to the empoyee health department and only because I felt I had to.
                    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                    Anonymous

Comment

Working...
                    X