Swelling Ankle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swelling Ankle?

I have progressive relapsing MS, was not dx until 2006. For several years occasionally I had have trouble walking due to pain in one of my ankles.
    For the last 3-4 weeks I have been in the middle of a relapse. My main (untreatable) symptom is a swollen ankle with pain up to my thigh. It hurts all the time and is excruciating trying to walk.
    I went to my Neuro and was told MS does not cause swelling and he made an appointment with a orthopedic DR.
    I know I have heard of others w/MS and swelling.
    Has anyone experienced this or is it not truly related to MS?
    Any info will be appreciated.

Everything is not MS

Sorry but we are still humans. MS can cause you to not move much. That can cause you limbs to swell.

Usual relief comes from putting swollen part above your heart. You may need to see your regular doc for this one.

KK

Comment

swollen ankles

I find that my ankles swell when I'm on vacation (having flown or on a cruise). I have to ask my Dr. next time about this.

Comment

Swelling can be related to MS, often as a result of fluid pooling because of inactivity and muscles not pumping fluid out of the extremities. It's surprising that your neuro doesn't know that.

But swelling from MS isn't typically (although it might be) restricted so much to one area or so painful. Because your swelling is concentrated in one area and very painful, it's a good idea to see your primary doctor to rule out other causes. Another poster here on the forum had swelling and pain, and hers turned out to be due to a blood clot. Your PCP can check your circulation before you see the orthopedist.

Comment

Wyoming, my swollen feet didn't happen until after I lost mobility. I think the fact that you had pain in the past before you had swelling may indicate a problem in your ankle. MS related weakness can cause us to put strain on legs, joints, etc.
          Hope you feel better soon,
          lori

Comment

Hello Wyomingsmiles,

I have RRMS. I have had swelling and pain in both feet as part of my exacerbations. Once my exacerbation resolves so does the swelling and pain. Mine is not an issue of immobility but related to the MS.

It is best to confirm your swelling and pain is due to the relapse and not some other cause.
            Diagnosed 1984
            “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I think that my ankles swell on days when I am overheated or inactive so I do think it is MS related.

Comment

Swollen and painful ankles

Thanks to all who took the time to answer my post.
                I did go to an Orthopedic surgeon as my Neuro suggested.
                For the last three years I have had edema from the knees down. At first they were so full and painful they felt like they were going to burst.
                I realized they still had edema but they are so very much better than before.
                The Ortho sugessted that I have the Dr. Scholl's custom fit insoles from the testing machine that is set up in many stores. They have really helped and I'm hoping they will continue. He also suggested wearing special compression socks (ted Hose?) When I 1st had this the socks made them feel worst. But they feel great now. I think when I first them tried 3 yrs. ago my legs were just too swollen to help.
                I still think that it is MS related, before having so many symtoms my legs were never swollen.
                But thanks to all who responded to my earlier post

Comment

Working...
                X