Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jaw Clenching/Teeth Grinding

Hello MS World friends,

I have some questions that I hope some of you have experience with. In the past, I have always clenched my jaw, but not so bad that it was a problem with pain or awakening during the night (even though my teeth are quite worn.) Last week I started a very small dose (100 mg) of gabapentin (neurontin) at bedtime. I know that dose is small, but I tend to be med sensitive. It has already helped the constant tingling/numbness in my leg and face! :-)

However, now it seems that I am clenching my jaw and teeth really, really bad!! I had also gotten a bite guard about the same time as the neurontin, so now I am very aware of my biting during the night.

So, now I am wondering if the neurontin could be causing the jaw clenching to become worse? It appears from the internet that neurontin is prescribed for this (bruxism) and not a side effect from the drug. However, I called the pharmacy where I filled the prescription and the pharmacist said the clenching is a side effect of the drug (even though I couldn't find that on the internet.)

I feel so confused and frustrated. It is difficult to trade one set of symptoms for another side effect. My plan is to call my prescribing doctor tomorrow. However, any experiences or insight any of you have would be very helpful! Thank you so much!

Me too.

I was clenching and grinding before Neurontin and am still ruining my teeth. I have had so many root canals and crowns. I have about four that are getting tender and the dentist wants to do the same. I just cant afford the $2,000. to get it done. So I am looking at -- ugh -- dentures. I can get them for around $500.

The one thing that works but is too late for me is an atheletic mouth guard. I went to a sports place and they have hard rubber ones but that is not what you want should you decide to go this "re-training" route.

The mouth guard is one that you dip in boiling water. Wait fifteen seconds or until cool enough to put into your mouth. The hotter you can take it the better the impression. You bite hard into the softened rubber. Give it a minute or two and you will have a personalized mouth guard. Usually I have to trim the corners for a perfect fit.

Now for the training. I keep it with me especially in the car. I tell myself I will not grind my teeth and then try not to. If I grind or clench my teeth then I tell myself I have to wear the guard for fifteen minutes. The first day it will be in and out. You will find day two will be less. By day three almost not at all. By five day you will not be wearing it you will be wearing it almost not at all.

For me this treatment once I have stopped lasts or about six months. It feels so good not to be a slave to it. When you start grinding and clnching again bring out the guard. It is much easier to stop it the second time. Works for me.
    Good luck and have patience with your self.

J. Tampa Florida

Comment

every night

I grind my teeth all the time. It can make my mouth very soar. I recently purchased a mouth guard at the local pharmacy. It looks a bit like a retainer but the "cushion" only goes over the back teeth. It took a couple of nights to get used to sleeping with it, but now I have no more pain. It cost about 30 dollars. If you speak with your dentist they can have one "fit" for you. I chose to save myself that expense and buy the one at the pharmacy.

The one I have is special for this particular problem. I found it in the toothpaste isle. It is my understanding that the "sport" guards do not work as well as the ones specifically designed to protect teeth from grinding.

Hope this helps!

Comment

you made me think, that`s a good thing if you don`t ask my wife. i never had a problem with clenching my teeth until i started gabapentin. i`ll look into it and post later.

dave
        hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
        volunteer
        MS World
        hunterd@msworld.org
        PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

The following drugs can interact with gabapentin. Tell your doctor if you are using any of these:

•hydrocodone (Lortab, Vicodin, Vicoprofen, and others);
          •morphine (Kadian, MS Contin, Oramorph, and others); or
          •naproxen (Naprosyn, Aleve, Anaprox, and others).

i don`t know if these are to blame or not. i got the info from www.rxlist.com

dave
          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
          volunteer
          MS World
          hunterd@msworld.org
          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Thanks J. for your response!

I did have the dentist make one and now I think that is my problem. The mouth guard and neurontin started about the same time. Last night I took the med, but did not use the night guard. No problem. I think that the night guard isn't made quite right and it throws my bite off. For the first time in about a week, I have no jaw pain in the morning and slept really, really well! :-)

You are right...it was very expensive...my co-pay was just over $100 but thanks to very good insurance that was all I had to pay. Sounds like I need to call the dentist and see how it is changing my bite!

I will keep you posted!!

MGM

Comment

Thanks Dave and Jennifer!

That is interesting that yours is on your bottom teeth, mine was made for the top. I will ask my dentist about it.

The only meds I take are Copaxone and now the neurontin. I was on some other stuff, but finally got off all of that.

I have to say that the neurotin, even at this low dose, has really helped the tingling in my leg and the numbness in my jaw. If we can just get this jaw clenching thing figured out........I remain hopeful for a good night rest!! MGM

Comment

I was excited to have my dentist make a night guard for me, it is a newer design that goes over my top front teeth only (or you can have one that goes over your bottom front teeth).

Unfortunately, it holds my jaw open too far. I ended up with new jaw pain and needing several sessions with my massage therapist to be out of pain. This guard was supposed to put your jaw in a naturally relaxed position.

I gave the guard a chance, but it is not working for me. I see the dentist in a few weeks, we'll see what he says. This was not covered by insurance, which seems crazy. Preventing teeth clenching seems like good preventative care.

I should have gone back to the dentist right away, but I had just gotten done with a root canal and new crown, and was sick and tired of going to that office!

Comment

Me too, I have had so many crowns and root canals from grinding and clenching and the Dentist guard was just too uncomfortable to wear.

I ended up having botox injected into my jaw about eighteen months ago, and no problems since. I would imagine it will be time to have it done again soon, as it should only last a little while, but I think our body retrains itself to relax.

It's best to have a dentist who has experience doing this inject it as you can end up with a few hollow spots in your cheeks etc if a newbie does it. Also, some dental plans cover it.

Hope this helps,
                  Sandra

Comment

Originally posted by journeyman View Post
                    I was clenching and grinding before Neurontin and am still ruining my teeth. I have had so many root canals and crowns. I have about four that are getting tender and the dentist wants to do the same. I just cant afford the $2,000. to get it done. So I am looking at -- ugh -- dentures. I can get them for around $500.

The one thing that works but is too late for me is an athletic mouth guard. I went to a sports place and they have hard rubber ones but that is not what you want should you decide to go this "re-training" route.

The mouth guard is one that you dip in boiling water. Wait fifteen seconds or until cool enough to put into your mouth. The hotter you can take it the better the impression. You bite hard into the softened rubber. Give it a minute or two and you will have a personalized mouth guard. Usually I have to trim the corners for a perfect fit.

Now for the training. I keep it with me especially in the car. I tell myself I will not grind my teeth and then try not to. If I grind or clench my teeth then I tell myself I have to wear the guard for fifteen minutes. The first day it will be in and out. You will find day two will be less. By day three almost not at all. By five day you will not be wearing it you will be wearing it almost not at all.

For me this treatment once I have stopped lasts or about six months. It feels so good not to be a slave to it. When you start grinding and clenching again bring out the guard. It is much easier to stop it the second time. Works for me.
                    Good luck and have patience with your self.

J. Tampa Florida
                    Similar program for me with same results.
                    I got a pretty nice comfortable one @Walmart. (less than $20 in pharm area)

Comment

Working...
                    X