work or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

work or not

I work for a great company that fortunately has disability insurance. I answer the phones, pay the bills, and lots of other things. Constantly busy. I was dx'd 10 years ago and had not had too many problems. The last year or so it is getting harder. By the end of the day I am exhausted and driving home is kind of scary because I don't function as well when I am tired. I am starting to make mistakes at work. (I've noticed, but I don't know if any one else has). I guess my question is When is enough? I like my job but I don't know how much longer I can do it or should do it. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Diane
    Webbles

Weebles wobble but they don't fall down (much)

I just made my decesion......

I never thought I would be filing for disability/retirement at the age of 42, .......life sometimes is like that

Anyway,
    I too work, and have worked, for a great employer, for 16 years, VERY BUSY OFFICE, but after MANY falls, at work, and at home, I decided it was time to work on me, and put focus on my health.
    I took a F.C.E to determine my capacity on 9/9, so the ball is just beginning to roll to determine my eligibility for retirement/disability.......("keeping fingers crossed")

If you are starting to question "is it time?" my guess is you are getting close.

take care, and good luck!
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Dawn[/FONT]

Comment

My brain isn't working today. What is F.C.E.?
      Webbles

Comment

F C E

It stands for functional capacity evaluation.
        About a 3 hour evaluation by a PT of your work capacity.
        [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Dawn[/FONT]

Comment

AAAaa to have a job! or just get a interview!
          Maybe if you asked for part time for awhile you might be able to keep your job?
          Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by rubberlegs View Post
            AAAaa to have a job! or just get a interview!
            Maybe if you asked for part time for awhile you might be able to keep your job?
            Good luck!

I HEAR YOU , RUBBER. I HAVEN'T HAD ONE FREAKIN INTERVIEW IN A YEAR!

Comment

I work in retail and am finding the job too demanding. I am tired all the time, my legs hurt most of the time. How does one go about revamping themselves for a new career. I have customer service office skills, but I can't get an interview anywhere. Any ideas out there?

Comment

Overwhelmed

I hear you guys. I work at an elementary school and I handle all the finances, the 3.6 million dollar budget, answer phones and the "new projects" that we've just taken on. On top of all that, we have been without 3 key administrative people in the building since August 24th and I am just about to throw in the towel.

I just can't take it anymore. I'm ALWAYS stressed and I have been working from 8am until at least 6pm everyday, sometimes even later. My husband is angry at me because I'm putting too much on myself but it's hard for me to drop the ball! Don't get me wrong, I've dropped the ball a lot of times because I am "all over the place" but I feel like if I don't do some things they just won't get done.

I know some may say, just drop the ball and forget about it, but that is seriously hard for me to do!!!! I'm somewhat controlling and I have this self imposed, over the top work ethic!!! I honestly feel that the health problelms I'm starting to go through Gods way of telling me its time to go out on disability!

Seriously! I'm starting to have problems seeing, the pain in my legs has increased tremendously, I'm suffering from incontinence, headaches, and tremors at night. You know, I know that I need to switch jobs or just stop working but that feels "lazy" to me and I'm struggling with it! I don't know that I can do that.

I'm going to make an appointment with my neurologist this week because I need some help! I'm on a slow track to self distruction and I want to get off this ride!

Signing up for MS World is my first step to help myself.

Thanks for listening.

Comment

Q,,, slow down.

Hey Q,,, Take a deep breath... Life is not an all or nothing deal. MS makes us all make changes to our lives. Get some help managing your life with MS. You should come first, your family second, everything else (like work) come after that. Get help from your Doctor's, MS support groups, focus on the positive things you still can do. It's one of the hardest things I had to learn. I can't do everything I used to do before I had MS. However after 20+ years with MS, my life is better in so many ways. I "smell the roses", if you know what I mean. Your health is the MOST important thing you have, make decisions with that in mind!! Good luck.

Comment

...how much longer I can... or should do it?

A new female aquaintance recently mentioned;

"Sometimes it is necessary to sacrifice the sacrifices."

I think it applies here.

To Diane, Queesie0530 and others who find that they have given THEIR ALL to careers, etc., who now find it harder and harder to do so....

Maybe it is time to "sacrifice the sacrifices." I know it isn't easy, nothing is.

Jer

Comment

queesie0530 Hi. I started this thread and boy do you sould like me. Hope we can both get ourselves figured out and have a life. Good luck.
                      Webbles

Comment

I kinda feel like not having a good respectable job is my only disability!

Comment

Important - work full time, don't go part time

Its time for one of my regular rants, I apologize in advance.

I want to remind everyone reading this if MS is making it impossible to work full time you SHOULD NOT go to a part time position. Ask your Dr. to support your need to stop work now, before your employer decides you can't do the job. FMLA covers many Americans, employers' Short Term Disability and Long Term Disability plans a lot of us, and SSI & SSDI most who aren't teachers.

? are city town & state employees covered under Social Security? Does it vary from state to state? What about Federal employees ? The military?

SSDI and most employer sponsored Long Term Disability plans calculate your income over the last few years, a part time job decreases your average income, the insurers will smile and you will struggle every month if you cut your earnings by moving to a part time position.

I hope you are seeing a doctor regularly and reporting in writing each time all the problems you are having - vision, headaches, spasticity, bladder, bowels, you name it, if you had it once since your last visit, put it down in writing, make sure it is in your record.

You really, really want SSA and the STD & LTD insurer to read in your doctor's records that you can't stand for more than a few minutes, walk w/o a cane,use a scooter or wheelchair, have a bladder you can't control, bowel problems I won't get into, take medicines to control spasticity, need a nap daily.

This disease grinds away at us, makes us unable to cope with jobs we once did well, collecting SSDI, SSI and/or LTD means getting money we are entitled to receive despite the claims of some.

I worked from 16 to 60, worked while at college and in graduate school, much of it in jobs where I was on call 24*7, working 60+ hours a week with overtime rarely paid.

Between the ruinous economy and MS I know I'll never work again, know if I was hired I could not do the job.

I agree wholeheartedly with those who are struggling and want to "sacrifice the sacrifices". Those of you who aren't please take a close look at your needs and your family's needs, it may be time to ask your Dr. to agree to support your need to stop working.

Comment

LTD

I also worked at good job with Long Term Disability for 10 years.

I was pretty much like you, by the end of the day I was wooped.

My boss was the one to tell me that I should think about the LTD the company offers (which many companies don't).

I went on the LTD which was very simple to do and then I had to apply for SSDI.

I found that SSDI was also easy to get approved for (I think because I was already accepted by LTD).

I hope this has made sense.
                            Diagnosed, November 2005, Fingolimod FTY720 Study as of August 20, 2007

Comment

Same situation

I was in your spot not to long ago. The company I worked for was generous enough to offer me a disability retirement that included my benefits. I can't say if they did this out of loyalty, because I was a hard worker, of if it was easier then changing their building to accommodate disabilities and/or risking my falling on the job. Hope this helps.
                              P.S. It took me awhile to emotionally except not working at a job I loved. Be patient with yourself.

Comment

Working...
                              X