Discrimination? Vent!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discrimination? Vent!

I worked for a major retail store for 6yrs, 4 of those years as office manager so I was the auditor, payroll person & HR director. This was actually my second manager position in this store. Before I was diagnosed I was the salon mgr. I was given that position after just 3wks of working there.

In Sept. '09 I gave notice due to personal issues that I felt would interfere with my ability to give 100% to the job ( I dealt with thousands of $ in cash daily) A friend of mine told me that the womens gym/nutrition center that she worked at was looking to hire P/T & she thought it would be perfect for me. I had an interview & was hired the next day. The owner said my references gave some of the best remarks she had ever had for someone!

My issues;
    1. P/T ended up being F/T
    2. 6hrs + shifts daily, with NO breaks
    3. now requires employees to wear dress shoes & when I mentioned that I'd need to wear more supportive tennis shoes on days when my balance was off, she said that would be an issue (remember, I work in a gym!)
    4. she knew before she hired me that I had MS & would have to use my forearm crutch sometimes, yet now wants me to hide it in the closet once I get to work
    5. I have missed only 2 days of work in almost a year because of a stomach bug & even then I as on my way to work but had to turn around because I was throwing up on the side of the freeway yet she constantly hints that she thinks my 'illness' may be affecting my work. NOT TRUE!

The only thing that she's done that I have proof of is working us 6+ hrs without a break, she seems to forget that I did HR, I know how strict CA laws are! The rest, thats where I'm not sure. its obvious to everyone that she treats me different but what do you need to prove job discrimination? She is so caught up on looks & she sees my MS as a weakness which is sad because there are so many ladies there who say that I encourage them to keep going, that if I can do it, they can (I lost 64lbs 2yrs ago!)
    Its gotten so bad that my Dr. finally put me on 3wks of 'stress' leave! I'm not going back but I'm not quitting because I need to be working or looking for work to get SDI & she won't fire anyone because she doesn't want to pay unemployment. Its sad too because alot of ladies might quit once I'm gone. There's a much less expensive gym in town.

Sorry this is so long but its the 1st time I've been able to talk about it! Any suggestions appreciated!
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"

Dx 2004, Copx, Rebif, Ty Beta- I'm done!!
Working...
X