What shoes to wear with an AFO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What shoes to wear with an AFO?

I wear a brace on my right foot and, for everyday life, wearing snearkers is fine. But what do you wear when going out? I have opted for flat boots over pants or long dresses but it's so not elegant! Has anyone found another solution?

SAS shoes

That's all I wore with my braces. I chose the velcro closure instead of buckles or ties. Expensive but last a really long time.

KK

Comment

pretty in flats

We have SAS shoes here and I usually get them there as they seem to do well with my AFO. You got SAS shoes there? Maybe they are on internet

Comment

I am a GUY, so shoes are less of a FASHION thing.

I wear AFOs on both feet, they are the Arazona boot type. Molded steel covered in leather. I just get regular shoes a few sizes larger to accomadate the AFOs. My ankle ortho ordered MAX protection, being diabetic also puts me at risk for Charcot foot. My left ankle and right foot are both weak form MS. I was getting internal bleeding/brusing on my left ankle due to weak ankle and bone spur.

I had a choice between these or shoes with steel bars running up the sides...can you say UGLY?

I say CONFOMRT and safety first....... then looks.

Dr Gomer

Comment

Hello

I'm a GAL, but my shoes are less of a fashion thing now too because of wearing an AFO, and balance issues.

So, the shoes have to be flat (balance) but also must fasten firmly in order to keep the AFO in place. (No slip-on styles for me!)

Thus far I've been wearing tie ups (but will be looking into velcro fastener shoes next time). Brown suede, black suede, and tennis shoes are all I have at the present.

Actually, being so limited now saves me money, and not having too many choices saves me time. I am so wobbly that walking safely is top priority these days.

Take care,
          KoKo
          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Easy Spirit "Motion" (Penney's) is a lace-up shoe that doesn't look clunky. They run kind of narrow, so I had to order a wider size to accommodate the AFO--but they go all the way up to extra wide. The plain colors are, well--plain!--but there are black crock and brown crock versions that are a little dressier.
            Peg

Comment

Thank you

Thank you all for the replies. I have worn the Easy Spirit Motion and they work well for me. I didn't know about SAS shoes but I'll look into that brand. None of them are very elegant but the message I'm getting from all of you is --and rightly so-- safety and comfort first!
              Well said.
              Claudine

Comment

In my case the only thing I could fit my AFO in was sneakers so I opted for a black pair or New Balance walkers...
                Falling down is easy... getting up not so much

Comment

Working...
                X