Question about heat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigA View Post
    Like Snoopy, my first exacerbation happened during exercise and intense heat, so I'm not sure if it can cause them but it seems possible.
    My MS decided to show it's self in a big way and quickly.

A little back ground: My husband traveled on business. When he went out of town I took over the yard work. We had a very large front and back yard.

It was morning but still warm. I started mowing the back yard. I got about half of it done and my legs started getting weak and heavy feeling, I felt like my legs were going to give out. I finished the back yard went in the house.

Normally I could mow front and back at one time.

I went out the next morning to do the front yard. I only got about a quarter of it done when my legs once again became weak and heavy but this time I was getting vibrations/buzzing. I had a hard time making it back into the house.

This started my journey with MS and the severe exacerbation that got me diagnosed.

I can have pseudo-exacerbations from getting over heated and once I cool down I'm fine.

Unfortunately, I can also have the exacerbations that are very real and can knock me on my butt for 6 to 8 weeks with a longer time before I get back to baseline.

If I can make it through July and August without an exacerbation I breath a sigh of relief.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hello

Heat intolerance was an early symptom for me. It would take a little while for the negative effects to come over me, and then they went away quickly after cooling down.

As my MS has progressed, so too has my sensitivity to heat. Whereas early on I would get weak from being in the heat, now I become immobile. It used to take some time before I would be affected while in the heat, but now it seems as if it's only a few minutes in the heat and I'm unable to move my arms and legs.

I am still amazed/baffled at how quickly this inability to move happens when my body warms up. I don't take it lightly anymore. I don't live very far from the nursing home where the 49 yr old woman with MS died after being left outside on a hot day a few years ago. Not trying to be an alarmist, but it happened....

Take care,
      KoKo
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

My MS has been affected by heat and Cold sensitivity. I have had ON during the winter months and numbness (which has come to stay) I guess in Summer months. So it is a personal disease and affect each one differently. I used to love to take hot baths the hotter the better. Got out of the tub after one of these hot baths and could not stand up. Had to lay down for awhile. Still take fairly warm showers but no more hot baths!
        SHELIA

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
          Heat has caused exacerbations for me, they were NOT Pseudo-exacerbations but the real deal. Four of my five exacerbations have been in the summer.

garrysgirl, not everyone with MS is heat sensitive. When I was diagnosed my neuro told me to stay out of hot tubs.
          Just goes to show that there is nothing about MS standard or usual, accept the unusual seems to be the norm.
          Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir-Voor View Post
            Just goes to show that there is nothing about MS standard or usual, accept the unusual seems to be the norm.
            I think that about covers it
            Diagnosed 1984
            “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

MS + Heat = One drained welts chick

Hi all,

2nd summer after being dx..and, 1st wk of real summer weather in So.Cal...

I haven't done anything this whole week.. 0 energy and, it must be a summer thing with me.. I break out with welts.. long strands on my arms, back, legs, just everywhere.. I need to get some stock in Benadryl.. I am one of their faithful customers...

And it really sucks.. pre dx.. I loved the heat.. now..the heat does not return the favor... but, I am happy to say... I am making my 1st trip back to LV since being dx for my bday in a couple of wks.. didnt go last yr.. but, I'm giving in.. just going to take it easy...

U gotta love this MS thing.. right????

Purposed
              Don't tell the LORD how BIG MS is...TELL ms HOW BIG THE LORD IS...

Comment

Thanks!

Sorry it took me so long to respond back. I appreciate all your input. Doc started me on 2 new meds and I've felt like crap the past couple days.

Comment

heats a killer for me too. just got back from so. ga. where i couldn't hardly do anything w/ my family bcs of the heat! didnt' even get to the beach because of the shakes and weakness due to the heat.
                  cdnt take my coolant vest on airplane because of the gel packs. i highly recommend coolant vest for everyone w/ heat sensitivity. they are a life saver!
                  even staying in didn't bring much relief. my DD's house only cooled to high 70's. we got home sat. morning. i slept for hours. been too weak to do anything but unpack toothbrush. i've dozed some tonight. but am scared what morning will bring bcs i really overdid being in the heat. it's caused relapses before for me. even tho my house is cool, i'm still swollen, exhausted, having breathing problems, etc.
                  i'm thankful that heat doesn't hurt everyone, since this summer has/is being a scorcher across the country.
                  stay cool & take care!
                  "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

Working...
                  X