Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens if you accidentally inject an air bubble?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happens if you accidentally inject an air bubble?

I haven't done it, but I'm curious as to what the possiblities of what could happen if I accidentally inject an air bubble in my avonex shot? I've searched on line and all I could find is information for vein injections and nothing for intramuscular injections.
    When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on. ~FDR

My nurse said it's ok, it won't hurt anything, and your body will absorb it. It's only a problem if you were to inject really large amounts.

Comment

No problem at all. The little bit of air diffuses into the tissue, dissipates and is absorbed by the body. It's the same thing that happens to air that gets into the body during a surgical procedure. Nothing to worry about.

Comment

You'll be fine. It takes 30cc's of air into the bloodstream to kill a person.

Comment

You can't inject that air bubble even if you tried. You should not "express the bubble" as I was told. Leave the air bubble in the syringe. The bubble goes down the needle and pushes all of the medicine out. It's like shaking the hose when you fill the car with gas to get the last drops out. What replaces the gasoline? Air.

The air won't go into your body, it will fill the needle and so you'll get the correct amount of medicine. if you take out the bubble first, there will be avonex left over in the needle when you throw it out.

Even if the bubble did get in, it's not harmful. That's just some old belief and in any case was about injecting air into a vein, not into muscle.

Leave the bubble in the syringe

Comment

Originally posted by FaceThePain View Post
            You'll be fine. It takes 30cc's of air into the bloodstream to kill a person.
            10cc used to be the "amount", now being changed to 3cc!
            "Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"

Comment

This is sort of a myth, with some exceptions. I remember as a kid hearing that a single bubble of air would kill you. This is simply not the case. A small bubble in your vein is not harmful. Now if you send a large bubble of air back to your heart, you create an air embolism. Air takes up space and in an enclosed area, like a blood vessel it can get lodged and can prevent blood getting past it. Even then it may not kill you, but it could cause an infarct (lack of blood/O2 supply causing cellular death)

Comment

Originally posted by BigA View Post
                You can't inject that air bubble even if you tried. You should not "express the bubble" as I was told. Leave the air bubble in the syringe. The bubble goes down the needle and pushes all of the medicine out. It's like shaking the hose when you fill the car with gas to get the last drops out. What replaces the gasoline? Air.

The air won't go into your body, it will fill the needle and so you'll get the correct amount of medicine. if you take out the bubble first, there will be avonex left over in the needle when you throw it out.

Even if the bubble did get in, it's not harmful. That's just some old belief and in any case was about injecting air into a vein, not into muscle.

Leave the bubble in the syringe
                Same here. My Beta nurse instructed me to leave a little air in the syringe.

Comment

Originally posted by rdmc View Post
                  Same here. My Beta nurse instructed me to leave a little air in the syringe.
                  Let me qualify that. I'm speaking of the pre-filled syringes, not the ones you have to mix. I don't know anything about them.

Comment

Working...
                  X