please help, I get dizzy when driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

please help, I get dizzy when driving

Recently I wrote about my episodes/flare of dizziness and vertigo. When I thought I had everything more or less under control I took my kids on a nice Sunday afternoon drive. Before I have had issues with driving on a highway, but now even driving 35 mph made me freak out. Just seeing the lightpoles run on each side made me so dizzy I almost drove off the rode. I had to push my head against the headrest and hold it from the side to keep my balance. It felt like I was driving a boat instead of a car. I had no feeling of where the car was headed and it was very frightening.
    I started to use my Transdermal Scop again, but it got so bad that when I took a transcontinental flight two days later even looking out the plane window watching the clouds made me want to throw up. I have been drinking ginger tea and canada dry every occasion I get. I am about to fly again tomorrow this time it is only 3 hours but I am really scared of the drive afterward.
    I have been trying to ignore this whole thing, thinking that it might not need steroids but I have been having such a terrible time lately that I can't think of any other options.
    Reading or writing makes me nauseous and gives me the feeling of floating in the air up and down.
    I really appreciate your help.
    RRMS Diagnosed December 2009,
    on Copaxone December 2009-October 2011 -
    Starting interferons hopefully soon.

Originally posted by Maple25 View Post
    Recently I wrote about my episodes/flare of dizziness and vertigo. When I thought I had everything more or less under control I took my kids on a nice Sunday afternoon drive. Before I have had issues with driving on a highway, but now even driving 35 mph made me freak out. Just seeing the lightpoles run on each side made me so dizzy I almost drove off the rode. I had to push my head against the headrest and hold it from the side to keep my balance. It felt like I was driving a boat instead of a car. I had no feeling of where the car was headed and it was very frightening.
    I started to use my Transdermal Scop again, but it got so bad that when I took a transcontinental flight two days later even looking out the plane window watching the clouds made me want to throw up. I have been drinking ginger tea and canada dry every occasion I get. I am about to fly again tomorrow this time it is only 3 hours but I am really scared of the drive afterward.
    I have been trying to ignore this whole thing, thinking that it might not need steroids but I have been having such a terrible time lately that I can't think of any other options.
    Reading or writing makes me nauseous and gives me the feeling of floating in the air up and down.
    I really appreciate your help.
    WOW Maples.. I am so sorry for all you are going through. I just hate being dizzy/vertigo. Make sure you have someone who can drive you. And make sure your doc knows. I would not drive until you feel better.

Let us know how you are doing..

Warmly, Jan
    I believe in miracles~!
    2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
    Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Hello Maple

I haven't had such severe vertigo or dizziness, so I'm sorry that I can't share my experience with that. That sounds absolutely miserable

Have you tried all the available drugs for the vertigo and dizziness? I don't think I could put up with that type of uncomfortable, miserable, sickening feeling for very long.

I feel bad for you and hope you can get relief.

Maybe someone here has a new suggestion for you to try.

Take care,
      KoKo
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Yes, I tried ephergan, dramamine, transdermal scop, benadryl, seaband, and eating/drinking ginger.
        I just don't know what else I could do. It is a pain knowing that I am off to 5 weeks of vacation with my 4 kids and feel awful. Should I get the much dreaded Solu-medrol or just wait and see?

Comment

Maple,

During my first and last flair a year ago, I was like you with out the nausea.
          I went to pt for vertigo and balance exercises and it really help!
          I can now drive to speed limit on the freeway if I don't turn my head to much but have to go slow on windy small road.!
          My dizziness is now very manageable .
          I hope this help you and wish you the best.

Comment

Clonazopam?

Hi Maples, I get really dizzy while driving sometimes too. It does freak me out, especially on the interstate where everybody is going 80+ mph.

The one thing that I found that helps is Clonazopam aka Klonopin. I don't know why or how, but it does. It also keeps me from getting motion sickness in the air, and I fly in little planes across the mountains here and I would be puking my guts out if I didn't have the Clonazopam.

When I don't take it and I'm driving it really helps for me to hold one side of my head too. I thought that was just me. I wonder what is up with that?

Good Luck!!!
            -Creede

Comment

sorry Maple

You said you are going on vacation with your 4 children, is there going to be another adult with you?

I don't want to sound mean but I really don't think you should be driving while you are going through this.

I have limited my driving completly. No highways, no night driving and so on. I always ask a friend to come with me when I go anywhere now, if I am the one driving, just in case.

I know it stinks, but I am so afraid that I may hurt someone if it acts up while I am driving.

Good luck my Friend. I hope you get relief.

Comment

Hey Maples....so sorry!

I had terrible verigo/dizziness. I went to Physical Therapy and she was able to erase the veritgo, I had to wear a soft neck brace for three days and not look down and it worked!

My vertigo has not returned..thank goodness...but I still get dizzy. I do drive, mustly back roads but sharp turns dont help. Ive been on freeway maybe twice but very short juants.

This may sound crazy, but Ativan has helped me in more ways than one. It does minimize the dizziness, buyt its always there..thats why I have my cane.

I wish you luck..talk to a PT, they may be able to help you avoid the steroid treatment!!

Comment

To be perfectly honest, I don't think you should drive while you feel like this. You are putting your life at risk, your childrens lives, and the lives of other road users. I know not being able to drive is a big thing for alot of people, and may seem like you are losing some of your independence (it drove me crazy not being able to drive for 3 months after my first clinical episode). But you need to use a bit of common sense for this.

Have you pursued CCSVI testing or treatment? I used to get quite dizzy and have bad vertigo at times (minimum 2-3 times per week), this has not happened since my ballooning over a month ago).

I hope you find relief from your dizziness/vertigo spells.

Comment

You are getting great suggestions, but for me, it really helped to have either oral or IVSM steroids. It stopped my dizziness right away.

Hope you get some answers..and soon..gosh!!!

Enjoy then your time off with your children.

Warmly, Jan
                    I believe in miracles~!
                    2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
                    Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

You might want to be evaluated by a doc that has an interest in vestibular problems, usually ENT's specialize in this area.

I do have an ENT in my "army" of doctors that I consult with.

I also will ask for ten days low dose oral prednisone when I'm having mild flares. Seems to calm things down.

Comment

thanks everyone

Thanks for all the great tips guys. I don't drive when I am unwell, if I have issues I stay at home on the couch. While on vacation I have to drive only short distances that is to do groceries and I can ask for help from my family. Thankfully my cousin is an ENT and hopefully he will be able to help. I was very concerned about the side effects of the steroids, since I have the worst mood swings anyway I didn't want to impose on my family. MS certainly has a few surprises in store for us. I tried to explain to one of my friends what the vertigo/dizziness feels like and told them it is like being really drunk without the added bonus of having a good time. Since I have been having issues with my Copaxone shots, serious welts and dents, itching for 3-5 days after shots, my neuro told me to do the shots every other day. This was 2-3 days before my symptoms came on, I don't know if this has anything to do with my flare, but I am planning to go back to daily shots and somehow improve my technic ie trying to go manual to cause less damage in the tissue. I take a warm shower before, ice pack after and a good dose of benadryl extra strength spray.

Comment

Working...
                        X