any diagnosed firefighters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any diagnosed firefighters?

i have just been diagnosed with ms last week. i am an aircraft rescue firefighter and am just looking for advice, guidance or just some sort of peace of mind that i will be able to return to full duty.....is there anyone out there in similar circumstances that can give me a little info....any and all responses are greatly encouraged and highly appreciated...thank u

working

Well about 5 years ago I was hit the news of MS I am a detective on a homicide apprehension team for the City of New York. I have 20 years on my job, I feel the best thing is not even tell them. No one on my job knows.....hope I helped I know where you are at and feel the way you do... It sucks.... feel free to hit me up.

Mike
    Live every day as it is my last, dont give in, and be grateful for all we have, because someone is always worse off. God Bless America and God Bless our troops that are defending our freedom

Comment

Police Officer with MS

Hello MDER123 & Furenzykgurl
      I have felt so alone after being diagnosed with M.S. 2 1/2 years ago and being a police officer. Mike, I am former NYPD and moved to Florida where I am now working. I am also a detective and am struggling with extreme fatigue, especially from the heat. My work is suffering and I am trying to relocate back up north to be close to my family and friends. I have been job hunting up there, but as we all know the job market is awful.

My fear is getting written up for poor performance. It takes me much longer to get my cases completed and I fear disclosing my diagnosis will result in my being re-assigned to a miserable dead end desk job. Unfortunately, there is no protection from ADA if I don't request accommodations, so that is what I'm faced with having to do this week.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Comment

furenzykgurl- I was never a paid FF but have been a volunteer with different depts for over 25 yrs. My concern with you continuing to work and your employer not knowing is not only your safety but the safety of our brothers and sisters on the line with you.
        As heat is a major problem with most ms'rs this would be an obvious point to look at, as you say your an aircraft FF, I would assume you wear a proxsimity suite, from experience I know these are not cool to wear, which could cause you problems and if you were to become immobile from the heat you are risking your life along with your fellow FFs.
        I had the heat get to me at a large warehouse fire, I had trouble getting back out of the bldg, this was about 7 years before I was diagnosed, I was taken to the hosp and they decided it was because we had been out there for 6 hours and I hadn't had anything to eat in about 8 hrs which I realize now was not correct.
        I just think you need to look at it from the other side and ask yourself if you would want to be on the nozzle and have someone backing you up with MS??? Good luck with your decision and be careful out there.
        Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

I am a Police Officer for Chicago and was diagnosed in 2008... I have 13 years on. I am currently on light duty due to my MS. I was diagnosed after being in a car accident on duty, when my back was not getting better, (I was in a flare up, not knowing, I had MS prior to the accident). I was never an inside person, always on the street (Narcotic Unit, buying dope). After my diagnoses I was placed to work administrative, which was a culture shock! I have been inside coming on 2 yrs now, I am finally getting use to it. I miss the streets more than anyone can imagine but for my fellow officers safety and mine I could not possibly work as I did. I would never be able to forgive myself if someone got hurt because I couldnt run cause my leg may have dragged or I couldnt shoot because my right hand shook...So I am now inside and hate it but I dont have a choice with the career that I have. It sucks!

Comment

I was the Assistant Chief of the 4 Mile Fire Dept in the mountains of Colorado near Cripple Creek until my M.S. got the better of me. Most of our Fires were way up in the mountains due to lightening strikes and so we had to carry water bags on our backs and hike up to the fire. I kept my position as Assistant Chief but pretty much stayed at the Control Base and also drove the Ambulance during EMS calls. Then finally had to resign. I really miss it!!

Comment

I'm a vol. firefighter. I used to be very active with the dept. before my MS. I became the chief engineer at about the sametime as my MS started to show big time, which kind of worked out good for me where I preferred to be on a truck anyways. I have foot drop with my left leg and depending on how bad it's effecting me any given day as to if I go on calls. When it's bad I don't trust myself using the clutch with that leg. If it's bothering me badly and we have a structure fire I usually just go in my own truck and help whoever is running our pumper truck. As long as I can be of SOME help without putting any of the other firefighters in danger I'll keep going.

Comment

MS Medic

Hey girl!
                I am a 26 yr old paramedic in Charlotte NC, and I was diagnosed one month ago. I chose to disclose it to my bosses because I actually ended up in the E.R. on duty because of a flare up, and I knew I would need FMLA.
                What I didn't count on, however, was having things get so bad so fast. I'm still working, but my issues have begun to cause concern with some of my co-workers, and it's getting frustrating.

I hope you will never have the problems at work that I do, but honestly, I've felt really isolated...it affects our kind of jobs more than other peoples' because it's so physical and other peoples' lives and safety are in our hands, and that puts extra pressure on us to be perfect....so I'm really glad you posted. If you'd like to talk more, I'd be game.
                J.

Comment

Just want to express my thanks to all of you who work in public safety. My work is not physicially demanding which has caused me to wonder about those of you with MS who do physicial work. It seems almost impossible unless you are very young and in early stages of a very mild course of MS, if such a thing even exist.

Thank you guys for all you do and hope you find satisfaction in your professional lives despite set backs life/MS has throw your way.

Comment

Working...
                  X