MEDICALLY RETIRED V. CONTINUED SERVICE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MEDICALLY RETIRED V. CONTINUED SERVICE

I AM AN ACTIVE DUTY MEMBER AND THE NEUROLOGIST IS SUGGESTING I BE BOARDED AND GIVEN A MEDICAL RETIREMENT. THERE ARE DAYS WHEN I WOULD LIKE TO BE AT HOME AND THERE ARE DAYS WHEN I FEEL OKAY TO GO ON. MY SUPERVISOR GAVE ME A BAD EVAL. AND SHE DOES NOT UNDERSTAND THIS THING CALLED MS. I THINK SHE IS AFRAID. I CAN DO THE JOB BUT NEED TO RE-COOP OVER THE WEEKEND AFTER THE WEEKLY SHOT. THE QUESTION IS SHOULD I GO AHEAD AND HAVE THE SERVICE RETIRE ME OR CONTINUE AND FINISH MY 20 YEARS? I HAVE AND 11 YEAR OLD AND WOULD LIKE TO GIVE HER ALL I CAN WHILE I CAN. I ALSO NEED TO PROVIDE FOR HER PRESENT AND FUTURE.

If you medically retire can you work in the civilian world while still collecting? If you can double dip that is probably what I would do but if not you might be correct to hang on until they force you out.

Wish you well.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

This is a really complex question. For background, I was active duty for 6 years and would have done 20 if we didn't win the cold war.
      For starters, you need to be very honest with yourself. By now you've had a lot of leadership experience (if you're close to punching out at 20). Ask yourself what you would do if one of your subordinates came to you with the same info. Are they in a critical billet where their health and performance could effect other people?
      Not saying either answer is right or wrong but sometimes it helps if we turn that old bootcamp esprit de corps back on ourselves.
      If its the 20 years you want to hang on to, consider going GS. Your active time counts.
      Meanwhile, I would be contacting your ombudsman and probably a rep from the VA. You need someone on your side who knows the ins and outs.
      BTW, I had to file with the VA a couple of years ago. Everyone's experience seems to be different. I was granted a non service connected pension since I didn't file within the 7 year window, but that won't be an issue for you. On the medical side, different states have different issues but I have a really good team working on me now and they provide my Rx with no co-pay.

Comment

I am Retired USAF and have MS. I am not sure if they medically board you that you will be paid at your current rank. You need to find out what that will be. The VA will initially rate you at 30% for MS, and rated separately for different symptoms. I think if they will allow you to stay in, you need to go up your chain of command so they can explain to your immediate supervisor your needs. There are no set "rules" as to what your command can let you do. For instance, if you are admin, you could be able to work from home a few days a week. You need to speak with your doctor as well.

Do a search on MS and veterans websites, there are a few that have a wealth of information.

Tami

Comment

Working...
        X