Spinal MRI vs Brain MRI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spinal MRI vs Brain MRI

Should I ask the neurologist at my next appt for a spinal MRI if my Brain MRI was normal? I have alot of tingling and numbness in my feet, legs, and hands. I noticed in a recent post that someone had them on their spine but not brain? I am just looking for answers?
    Today I have all the AC's on in my house to make a little housework bearable. I do mean little. I folded some clothes, swept a couple floors and picked up my daughter's toys and I am wiped out. My husband is outside mowing and my daughter is playing outside and I can't be out there with her. I just hate the humidity.

You should definitely talk to your doctor about it if you want to have it done. I just had a cervical and thoracic MRI (back and neck) as part of my diagnosis process, and when those were clear, we did a Lumbar Puncture. LP showed MS antibodies. I have two or three lesions in my brain, but not any of the types of symptoms you report.

Good luck !

Comment

I think doing BOTH spinal and brain MRI is a good idea...

I forget if you are Dx w/MS or in MS limbo. If you are in limbo then by all means GET'er DONE, both full spine and brain. You might want to also consider an EVP and LP (I know ouch)

I did not NEED the spinal MRI for a MS Dx, but I had a C-spine done the year previous to my Dx (lesion found). After my Dx, I was given a lot of tests, a FULL spine MRI, LP EVP etc..all the follow-up testing just added more to the already existing evidence.

One of my spinal MS lesions is in the C5-C6 area, not a great place since that are can cause one to become a quad, more reason to be diligent in treating my MS.

GOMER

Comment

Do Neck and Spine

When ER doc said possible MS. I went to my neuro and he ordered just the brain. The next day I get a call that he needs to see me ASAP. I go in the following day and he shows me MRI and says symptoms and lesions do not match, he is ordering neck and spine MRIs along with the LP. He admits me to the hospital without even getting results from additional MRIs and LP for steroid treatment. I was scheduled for test to see if it could be tarsal tunnel syndrome, but he cancelled that test (Yay, cause I hear it ain't fun). At my follow-up appointment he apologized for not thinking it could be MS. He showed me MRIs of neck and spine and tells me my spine is ugly and I will have predominantly lower back, leg and foot problems. I have very few lesions in the brain and I think only one on neck, but I am not going to count the ones on my spine.

That was a year ago and I have done alot of reading and networking on this site and switched doctors since then (hey, the VA is free for me). Neurology is such a big field and there seems to be several trains of thought on MS and what makes it MS, what symptoms will visit you and minimum number of lesions for definite MS. I worked with one lady who was told she didn't have MS because she only had seven lesions(doc told her 9 was magic number) and then I read somewhere that lesion count is old school thinking. Her doctor never ordered neck or spine. I am still so ignorant and learning so much about me and MS. I am grateful to have had neuros with the insight to do more tests. I have done a ton of tests and it has always been the doc's idea. They suggest something and I say, ok, sure, let's do it. Should I change my name to labrat?

Ask your doctor to do more tests and you may even want to ask him if he thinks you should switch to a neurologist more knowledgeable about MS. I know I called NMSS for help prior to my DX. They can direct you to a doctor who knows MS.

Comment

When my right side went numb, I went to my PCP, and he ordered a brain MRI. It was clear, but he sent me to a neurologist anyway. The neuro ordered a cervical spine and thoracic spine MRI. My lesions showed up in my cervical spine.
          Melody
          Diagnosed 1/28/10

Comment

Working...
          X