No announcement yet.

Cost of Copaxone went up again....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everytime I read about how much MS Medication cost I find it unreal. I too only qualify for $50., why? because I work 40 hours and have insurance thru my company. The catch is I have a cap of $20,000 that my company actually raised to help a few of us with chronic illnesses. With that said, within a year the cost of Copaxone went so far up that wasn't enough. I do my shot every other day for the last year (some is better than none is my thinking). I would max out my insurance in July if I did the shot daily. Am I to assume that these RX companies don't realize that we do have lives? Some of us thank the lord we still are able to work, we have house and car payments and living expenses, but almost $3000. a month we are suppose to come up with to increase our chances to continue to do these things by taking their medication? My own neurologist said "how could anyone afford the medication" so he understands and I'm sure he makes a heck of alot ore money than I do. So the $50.00 a month doesn't seem like a really sincere way to help when they are making at least $34,000 off each person who takes the medication daily.

Comment

I tend to agree with you all on this. When I started taking Rebif if March 2007 it was a hair over $1650/month. I just got a new refill on the prescription and on the EOB it was a hair over $2650/month. Thankfully my insurance has changed how they handle "specialty" drugs so my copay is only $50/month now. It was hard and I had to get help from MS Lifelines when I first started and my copay was 20%.

Comment

A 'game' to help you understand

I'm calling this a game because it might put into perspective the high cost of Copaxone.

OKAY...

Comparing the cost of goods in 1999 to 2010.

Also please consider the value of our US dollar!
        What did your average grocery bill come to in 1999, vs. 2010? I dont know about you, but mine has doubled.

Electric or Gas (energy) bill for your household? (Again the cost has at least doubled).

I am not saying it is great that the cost of this specialized drug had gone up, but does anyone seriously believe the companies that develop drugs don't have a right to profit?

If you develop or create something..say you do crafts...don't you need to realize a profit. I know this is simplistic, but again think of C as a complex and specialty designed drug. This is not a common medication such as aspirin. How many people take aspirin (or tylenol or advil...) compared to how many use C?

There is a tendency, in our country, to expect charity or handouts. Sure there is no doubt we all want some help with this expense, but really there is no obligation for that to happen.

A business relies on profit to grow and continue to develop and manufacture.

As volume increases the cost of a product can come down. However, in cases where volume remains static that rarely happens.

I put off a DMD for many years. The idea of the cost just repelled me. However, in recent years there are more programs for assistance and it is more possible to reduce the cost of the DMD.

I am thankful that is possible.

Diane
        You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

I have to agree with Diane..and I am very greatful for any assitance provided.

Justacowgirl
          Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

Everything goes up but not like that!

Originally posted by DianeD View Post
            I'm calling this a game because it might put into perspective the high cost of Copaxone.

OKAY...

Comparing the cost of goods in 1999 to 2010.

Also please consider the value of our US dollar!
            What did your average grocery bill come to in 1999, vs. 2010? I don't know about you, but mine has doubled.

Electric or Gas (energy) bill for your household? (Again the cost has at least doubled).

I am not saying it is great that the cost of this specialized drug had gone up, but does anyone seriously believe the companies that develop drugs don't have a right to profit?

If you develop or create something..say you do crafts...don't you need to realize a profit. I know this is simplistic, but again think of C as a complex and specialty designed drug. This is not a common medication such as aspirin. How many people take aspirin (or tylenol or advil...) compared to how many use C?

There is a tendency, in our country, to expect charity or handouts. Sure there is no doubt we all want some help with this expense, but really there is no obligation for that to happen.

A business relies on profit to grow and continue to develop and manufacture.

As volume increases the cost of a product can come down. However, in cases where volume remains static that rarely happens.

I put off a DMD for many years. The idea of the cost just repelled me. However, in recent years there are more programs for assistance and it is more possible to reduce the cost of the DMD.

I am thankful that is possible.

Diane
            Just for the hell of it, I also compared my property tax bills comparing 1999 to today. It turns out they went up 60%. OK, everything goes up, but 60% is a far cry from 355%.
            We can only hope that generic equivalents to these specialty drugs get developed and approved. Thats a lot harder to develop than standard pharmaceuticals. But if it were to happen then you should see the prices go down dramatically.
            - Roy
            Been taking Avonex since June 96
            For me Interferon therapy is essential in slowing MS down.
            Will continue with the weekly injections and take my disease one day at a time...

Comment

I don't know if it is true or not, but I was told that the generic of Copaxone was already developed. They are just waiting for the 14 year patent to drop off in 2014

Comment

Working...
              X