fibromyalgia or ms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fibromyalgia or ms?

Wow, I just went to this one website www.fmnetnews.com and read the symptoms of fibromyalgia, and they are very similar to ms. So how do you test for fibro? And does anyone here have it?

I wish I knew

My mother had actually said something about that the other day to me. I have had so much pain within the last few months.

Although from another thread on this site, I saw that on pt mentioned a dr stating that it's common for people with one immune suppressive disease to have more than one.

I don't know if any of these thoughts are true?! More searching on the web, and asking the drs I guess.

I'm definitely frustrated that I can make the pain go away.

If you find any more info- fill us in. Thanks!

Comment

fibromyalgia

Yes, I was diagnosed with FMS (fibromyalgia syndrome) in 1995. And yes there are very similar symptoms...but along with fatigue, severe muscle and joint pain is the biggest symptom. Other symptoms are:sleep disorder, migraines, dry mouth, irritable bowel, irritable bladder,depression, rashes and of course fatigue which usually worsens with stress, over work and emotions. There is no difinitive test. There are sensitive "trigger points" found along the body bilaterally and when tapped are significantly painful (though you would not expect pain in those areas) Numbness and spasms ARE NOT symptoms and neither are the visual problems although I felt it was since I thought fatigued eye muscles would cause blurriness. FMS ia an auto immune condition and so from what I have read it is not uncommon that having one auto immune ; its just as likely to develope another. My recnt MRI shows lesions and more of my symptoms that I am having now points to MS but I have no doube my FMS is still with me....(my understanding of the pain part of FMS is that there are tiny "nodules" found among the muscle fibers and when pressing on a muscle group (ie. sitting) eventually causes discomfort (which makes me move around alot when sitting) and eventually painful (if you don't move alot))) I hope this helps explain things. I am not a doc but have continued to research FMS throughout the years. But I may be incorrect on one point or another.its possible
      Debbie

Comment

auto immune diseases

i do believe they are genetically linked b/c my grandma & mother both had rhem arth., really bad & I have MS. i believe my mom had fibro. also.

Comment

Originally posted by boylecen View Post
          Yes, I was diagnosed with FMS (fibromyalgia syndrome) in 1995. And yes there are very similar symptoms...but along with fatigue, severe muscle and joint pain is the biggest symptom. Other symptoms are:sleep disorder, migraines, dry mouth, irritable bowel, irritable bladder,depression, rashes and of course fatigue which usually worsens with stress, over work and emotions. There is no difinitive test. There are sensitive "trigger points" found along the body bilaterally and when tapped are significantly painful (though you would not expect pain in those areas) Numbness and spasms ARE NOT symptoms and neither are the visual problems although I felt it was since I thought fatigued eye muscles would cause blurriness. FMS ia an auto immune condition and so from what I have read it is not uncommon that having one auto immune ; its just as likely to develope another. My recnt MRI shows lesions and more of my symptoms that I am having now points to MS but I have no doube my FMS is still with me....(my understanding of the pain part of FMS is that there are tiny "nodules" found among the muscle fibers and when pressing on a muscle group (ie. sitting) eventually causes discomfort (which makes me move around alot when sitting) and eventually painful (if you don't move alot))) I hope this helps explain things. I am not a doc but have continued to research FMS throughout the years. But I may be incorrect on one point or another.its possible
          Wow... as I read this you "took the words right out of my mouth" as if you were describing me. Even more to the point as to being dx with FMS in 1995 as well.

I agree with everything you said, and might add the "sunburn" sensation to most of these trigger points. As if you have a bad sunburn that the slightest touch can send you through the roof. I especially have this with my spine near my neck and above my shoulder blades, and my legs and feet, but even occasionally on my face in different areas. Some of this I believe is Fibro, but some cant be explained when it isnt a trigger point area.

I have 2 or 3 different autoimmune disorders, (lost count) and none of them explain everything nor do they fall under what fibro covers as symptoms. Therefore something else is going on, and "MY" conclusion for several years has been MS (especially after speaking to my cousin that had MS but has since passed of complications). Just need dr's to see my point of view and stop dismissing me.

Limboland for life... how about changing it to "fantasy island" because it seems to be a fantasy of mine to get a firm dx.
          Janel Don't think of it as getting hot flashes. Think of it as your inner Child playing with matches.
          Dx date: 7/15/2010

Comment

I have fibromyalgia as well as MS.

Fibro is not an autoimmune disease, but it is commonly seen in people with an autoimmune diseases.

In autoimmune disorders, the immune system attacks parts of the body. In fibromyalgia, irregularities in hormones, neurotransmitters (messengers in the brain) and enzymes (substances necessary for chemical reactions) are thought to be responsible for symptoms.

Some researchers, do suspect the immune system may be somewhat irregular in people with fibromyalgia, and that it has an autoimmune component to it. Some people that have fibro display autoimmunity features.

There is research being conducted, but at this time the reports on immunological markers in fibro are not consistent and there is no evidence for inflammatory mechanisms.

There is also speculation in the scientific community as to whether people with fibro will at some point go on to develop a true autoimmune disease.

Fibromyalgia is a chronic condition characterized by widespread pain in muscles, ligaments and tendons, as well as fatigue and multiple tender points, (places on your body where pressure causes pain), and a number of other symptoms.

There are currently no diagnostic laboratory tests for fibro. The American College of Rheumatology has designated 18 sites on the body as possible tender points. For a fibromyalgia diagnosis, a person must have 11 or more tender points.

Fibro is usually a diagnosis of elimination,(of other diseases).
            skeezix
            dx. rrms Nov/09. Not using DMD's.
            Life is too short to wear boring socks.

Comment

FM or MS?

I was DX with Fibromyalgia in 1988 and i was DX with MS IN 2008. The main difference I have found is that Doctors and others show more respect to me with the MonSter. FM never seemed to be believable.

Have a great day! Leslee
              Leslee

Comment

Working...
              X