Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

denied unemployment benefits because of health reasons??!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

denied unemployment benefits because of health reasons??!!

Yes I was denied. The place I worked wanted me to work long hours which aggravated my MS and most of all my fatigue. I know my body well enough to stop/quit when it is too much. My denial letter said if my doctor advised me to quit or I could prove the work either caused the condition or would make the exisitng condition worse then I would have received unemployment benefits. I don't know what to do know. I want to appeal it, does anyone have any ideas? Why non medical personnel make these decisions are beyond me. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks Becky

It is my understanding that you are not eligible for unemployment benefits if you quit the job.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

denied unemployment

Originally posted by BeckyB0406 View Post
      Yes I was denied. The place I worked wanted me to work long hours which aggravated my MS and most of all my fatigue. I know my body well enough to stop/quit when it is too much. My denial letter said if my doctor advised me to quit or I could prove the work either caused the condition or would make the exisitng condition worse then I would have received unemployment benefits. I don't know what to do know. I want to appeal it, does anyone have any ideas? Why non medical personnel make these decisions are beyond me. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks Becky
      A friend of mine quite her job because it made her medical condition worse and received unemployment for medical reasons. I would definitely appeal it with MD documentation...best of luck...Debbie
      Debbie

Comment

unemployment

I was let go from my job in process of filling out ada papers for different issue was told by my HR person that yet another disability I have wouldn't be covered under ada which I knew to be false because had 1 with previous employer. Well my doctor just faxed over that they recomended I quit after he had filled out 3 different ada papers then after that was told I have possable ms and their stress caused huge flair up. I am now getting unemployment and the eeoc is being notified.

Comment

Can someone please help me and give some advice please

Hi everyone my name is Melissa and im 29 years old going on 30 in a about week my problems are I was also denied unemployment because I quit my job due to my ms it was hard work and was taking the breath out of me and I had leg and feet pain so bad and I was on my feet for 8 hours a day. Know about year later I have filed for disability due to having such a bad memory the ms affects my memory so bad its so sad my neurologist sent me to a neuro phsyc and thats when they told me I could not work im waiting to find out if im going to be approved or not but I have no money at all and my family helps me out a little which is great but were I live its really hard I live with my mom and grandma my mom understands what I have and shes great about it but my grandma does not understand and thinks and tells everyone im crazy that theres nothing wrong with me and we live Phoenix Az and its 110 degrees today and since I dont have any money right know to pay her she does not put the air condition on untill 2:00 pm everyday is very hard someone please help me with some advice Thank you so much everyone.

Comment

Unemployment denial

It is my understanding that in order to collect unemployment you have to be actively looking for a job and ready and able to work. Contrary to opinion, people on unemployment need to look for a job and prove it. I think in my state, NY, if you quit your job and don’t find another, you can collect after 6 weeks, but you still have to be able and looking.

The claims you should be trying for are state disability if your State has it, or short-term disability if covered by your employer and you have a policy. Otherwise the only other option is SSI, or SSDI.

Comment

My husband could not continue in his current working environment as it was working around chemical's and long hour's of standing.

Centerlink has placed him straight on to New Start allowance which isn't much until they process his claim for disability pension.

All he had to do was get a separation certificate from work, due to illness, and and medical report from his doctor. It only took 2 week's for them to process this but it will take 2 month's for a answer on the disability pension.

Comment

Getting a job with MS

Originally posted by mylissalm View Post
                Hi everyone my name is Melissa and im 29 years old going on 30 in a about week my problems are I was also denied unemployment because I quit my job due to my ms it was hard work and was taking the breath out of me and I had leg and feet pain so bad and I was on my feet for 8 hours a day. Know about year later I have filed for disability due to having such a bad memory the ms affects my memory so bad its so sad my neurologist sent me to a neuro phsyc and thats when they told me I could not work im waiting to find out if im going to be approved or not but I have no money at all and my family helps me out a little which is great but were I live its really hard I live with my mom and grandma my mom understands what I have and shes great about it but my grandma does not understand and thinks and tells everyone im crazy that theres nothing wrong with me and we live Phoenix Az and its 110 degrees today and since I dont have any money right know to pay her she does not put the air condition on untill 2:00 pm everyday is very hard someone please help me with some advice Thank you so much everyone.
                When I was looking for work, it was incredibly hard for me to come across any employers that were willing to hire someone with MS. When I was looking for work abroad, I was incredibly comforted by the fact that the French government and workers' unions work hard for people with disabilities. They actually require employers to hire at least one person per company that has a disability. This helps ensure that those who are disabled are not completely left out of the work force. I would recommend looking for an international job if you still have aspirations to be employed. I wouldn't give up. The best resource I found for international employment was hound.com. Good luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by BeckyB0406 View Post
                  My denial letter said if my doctor advised me to quit or I could prove the work either caused the condition or would make the exisitng condition worse then I would have received unemployment benefits. ... I want to appeal it, does anyone have any ideas? Why non medical personnel make these decisions are beyond me.
                  Hi Becky! You answered your own question in your post.

It doesn't take a medical person to be able to look into you file and see if there was a letter from your doctor that advised you to quit your job based on medical reasons. Apparently the person reviewing your file was able to see very clearly that you didn't submit any kind of medical evidence to support your claim.

It looks like the denial of your claim had nothing to do with medical reasons but on your failure to provide any evidence that there are medical reasons involved. Your claim never got the level of evaluating your medical evidence because you didn't submit any.

Your denial letter already told you what you need to do to appeal the denial of your claim. You must submit a letter from your doctor that indicates that he or she advised you to quit your job based on medical reasons or at least says that your decision to quit because of medical reasons was justified.

You might run into a little trouble because you apparently never asked your employer for accommodations for your inability to perform parts of your job. If you had, you might still have your job or would at least have already submitted some kind of proof that you needed to quit for medical reasons. Trying to submit proof after the fact is always difficult.

An important point has been made. One of the requirements for continuing to receive unemployment benefits is proof that you are actively looking for some kind of work and that you are ready, willing and able to work at some kind of a job.

If you feel that you are unable to work at any kind of job, then it sounds like it's time for you talk to your neurologist to get documentation about your limitations and apply for disability - SSDI.

Comment

denied unemployment benefits and living with family

This is about your house being too hot because your grandma does not turn her AC on till 2 pm.

I would recommend you contact your electric company and ask about their assistance programs.. most of them have them. Each company may have it's own requirements though.

Is there any way you could spend most of your time in one small room and keep it cooler with a portable or window air conditioner? The portable one is cheaper than most of the ones installed in windows. It also costs less to use. Also you may be able to get some interior insulating shades to block out some of the heat for one small room. Portable ACs are about $200.00 to $400.00. Do you have external shade screens on any of the windows?

In order to get financial assistance from anywhere...
                    You would probably have to provide some proof of family income, even if you are not working... and a doctor's letter would be necessary to talk about the heat exacerbating your symptoms.

I would contact the branch of the National MS Society in Phoenix and ask them about this.... surely you can't be the only one in Phoenix with MS who would have trouble or is having trouble paying electric bill for AC .. because you need to keep it cooler than some people do.

They may suggest you buy a cooling vest and have programs to help pay for them. They should know about financial assistance programs in the community... some of they may be through various community groups and not the electric company itself.

I live where many people have swamp coolers and our house is too hot for my husband in the summer. We do not have shady trees over our house. Also have some big windows on the West side of house that let a lot of heat in. My husband does better at work because they have AC.

Around 2000 new houses that were built all started to have AC and not swamp coolers. Many people have converted to AC here.

We are in the middle of a drought and the people who are concerned about water use... are always trying to get people not to use swamp coolers since they use a lot of water to cool. Incidentally, most people in Phoenix had swamp coolers in the 1950ies, 1960ies and probably into the 1970ies...

Also we have a portable air conditioner we use in our bedroom since it is one the 2nd floor... if you have the right kind of windows you could maybe use one of these. We need internal shade screens too.

We could not afford the AC bill for our house.. because it has high ceilings and some are 18' to 20' high and vaulted in the main living area. Plus it would cost over $4000.00 to buy the AC unit itself. The more energy efficient they are... the higher the initial cost.

I do not think we would qualify for any financial assistance where we are, and our branch of the MS society would recommend internal insulated shades and might offer to pay for part of the cost of a cooling vest.

mctripat

Comment

Talk to neuro's office

You might call your neuro's office and ask about what should happen, too. You are certainly not the first person they've treated who has been in this position.

Comment

Working...
                      X