Need Legal advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Legal advice

Hello I wanted to know if there are any members that can answer the following question:

I am a graduate student who requested a reasonable accommodation (30 minutes of office hours with my professor) and he refused stating that he is not obligated to do that. I am registered with the DR office and he received a letter from my DR representative. Can he deny a reasonable accommodation request to a student?

Any help/ suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Office hours with professor

As a lawyer, parent of a college student and a person with MS, I find the situation you mention absolutely appalling. Just on a human basis the professor's behavior was reprehensible.

The Disability Resource Center at your university needs to advocate a little more vigorously on your behalf. If the professor in question is NOT the department chairman then you need to contact the department chairman immediately and let him know what happened and that you view this as an ADA violation. I would also copy any correspondence to the Vice President of Student Affairs and the head of the university legal department. If the professor IS the department chairman then go directly to the VP of Student Affairs. It never hurts to also copy the President of the University.

You might also want to contact the local chapter of the NMSS. They might have some helpful advice or attorney who would assist you. Have you contacted any local disability rights organization?

Good luck. Please let us know how things work out for you.

Comment

Thank you

I have just sent a request over to the legal services department. What is sad is he believes he can make the rules for ADA. From my other posts you may have seen he outwardly denied the accomondation. At first I was just going to let it blow over but as everyday goes by I am more disapponted by the whole thing. I will follow this all the way through as I would never want someone else with a disability to go through this. Someone in a higher position needs to tell him to read the ADA rules regarding education and that as long as he is a professor at the school he will follow them. Once again thanks I will keep you posted on this thread.

Comment

I'm confused as to why you need this particular accommodation? What are you hoping to accomplish and is it worth getting into a pissing match with your instructor even if your request isn't unreasonable?

I went back to school when I was diagnosed with MS and it has been my experience that it is far better to fly under the radar whenever possible. Good luck!
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

Legal

Jules A
          The reason I need the extra time is because the 15 minutes time slots are not sufficient enough time for me to grasp the high complex material. He does not conduct regular office hours so after class you are on your own and no he does not address questions via email. If I can get the office hours then I would not be swamped when exams come around. The programing part further complicates things. And yes I study however I always have questions that is why I thought 30 minutes would keep me on track in the class. I am having a lot of cognitive problems and I just process things slower. This was the only class I asked for an accommodation.

Comment

Its a shame he won't answer questions via email! I hope it works out for you.
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            Anonymous

Comment

follow up

Hello I am just following up with my situation. No luck, my disability rep is really of no help and I feel like I am knocking my head aganist the door. They gave me my letter of dissmissal so I have to decide what to do next. Thanks for all of your inputs. I wish the bset for all.

Comment

I would still

Contact the ADA to see if what the professor did was legal. I have heard of time accommodations for persons with learning disabilities.

Comment

Working...
                X