Feeling like you can't do any job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeling like you can't do any job

I haven't worked in almost a year - been doing the stay at home mom thing with our 4 kids. But our financial needs will be changing soon, and I'm trying to figure out what to do. The problems I deal with most often with my MS are fatigue, problems walking and standing for long periods, balance, heat intolerance, numbness, memory loss, cog fog, dizziness, and vision problems. I have maybe 1 day a week where I feel normal, most weeks.

I have a real issue with stamina though. I know I'm definitely not up for a job that would have me standing or walking for long periods. The last job I had (last summer) was mostly a desk job. Checking out patients in a very busy doctor's office. But it was a lot of up and down running to get charts, a lot of leaning over and back up, moving around very quickly to answer phones, focus on the computer, the patient, the chart, the doctor, etc. And it set off my vertigo and vision problems. I kept losing my balance and was given no time to regain it because the environment was so fast paced. My boss and coworkers thought I was just incompetent. I ended up working there only a few weeks because I simply couldn't handle it. I was, and still am, so irritated with that situation and with myself. It was a job that I really thought I would be able to do well. Mostly sitting down, working with people, which I'm good at. I thought I could work hard enough to overcome the memory and cognitive issues too. The experience left me feeling like a failure. Like I couldn't do any job well.

I don't have a degree, though I do have about 70 hours of college transfer credit if I were to go back to school. The thought of becoming a student again absolutely terrifies me though. I can't concentrate, and it takes so long to compose a coherent thought these days. With 4 kids, I would have trouble finding time for school in the first place, and then to have that trouble compounded by MS... I'm feeling very intimidated. On the one hand, I feel like maybe I'm overreacting, like I should just try harder and harder, and do whatever it takes. But on the other hand, I remember what it was like the last time I was working (before being laid off). I was full time, and my job wasn't strenuous. But I was exhausted, and it was nearly impossible to take good care of myself. My flares have gotten worse since then too, so I feel like to try to go back to work now would be even worse. If I had to call off too much, I'd probably lose my job. And then be in a worse financial position than I am now.

I apologize for rambling. I should have tried to organize my thoughts better. I just don't know what to do. I don't know what the best option is. I want to continue staying home with the kids because I feel that's the best option for our family and for me. But if that becomes impossible, and I do have to find a job, I don't even know where to start. How do I find a job that makes the right amount of money (doesn't disqualify me from aid I vitally need) and yet doesn't mean I'm working just to pay daycare, AND is something that I can actually do? I'm so relieved that I'm at home some days, where no one can see my weaknesses. I can't imagine trying to hide certain incidents in a workplace.

What would you do?

Just as lost and confused

I understand where you are coming from. I have only been dx for a year now. I went to school for phlebotomy, and i cannot work in my field. Tried working a desk job but was fired for missing work too much.. If you figure this one out let me know.

~cassie

Comment

Did you read my mind?

I am feeling the same way. I've been trying to be super career mom for a year and a half and it is killing me. I worked so hard to get my family and career where I wanted it to be. Now I can barely focus and balance long enough to make dinner and laundry. I'm 33 with a 2 and 5 year old. I should be doing so much more then I am able to do. I am going to apply for SSDI, but I feel like a failure. This is the first thing I can't "fix" no matter how I try.
      Tracy

Comment

I understand how you feel. I've been at my job for almost 11 years and DX'd for almost 7 years. It's a sit down desk job in front of a computer all day with loads of paperwork. It's been a struggle for awhile now but becoming almost impossible to keep up with. I have same symptoms that have been described, mostly the fatigue, disorientation / cog fog, and dizziness are progressing and making it very difficult to continue working full-time.

I've had co-workers turn on me b/c I miss so much work and they don't understand b/c I 'look' normal. I have an extremely understanding boss b/c I would've been fired anywhere else due to the # of days I've missed and being late in mornings.

Don't know how much longer I can continue. I just try to take it one day at a time.

Comment

Cheyenne,

I had major support from my boss at first. He was flexible with my schedule and "stood up" for me when coworkers might have gotten upset with my situation. That eventually changed when my boss realized that this wasn't going away with time. That had to be one of the most upsetting things for me. I felt we were close and that my past work performance meant something to the company. I am probably just a young naive professional for being so confident with my boss and his view of my contributions.

Either way I have to focus on my family and my health. A job is a job and money is money. Is it bad that I am really going to miss the money?
          Tracy

Comment

Work - Not sure what to do either

I have a fast paced job and my co-workers are much more understanding than my boss. And I am at a stand still where I feel like I know I can continue to work 40 or more hours a week however all I do is work and sleep. And my personal life is suffering since my husband doesn't really get any time with me since when I'm home I'm resting and recovering from working. I'm scared to stay home because it would make me feel like a failure but on the other hand what would my quality of life be like - living check to check and depending on my husband for my every need. I'm not sure I want to do that.
            I have a really good paying job and I am slowing down faster than the industry (IT) is moving. I really like the lifestyle I'm living but I don't know if it's worth it and I'm really scared of losing everything I have.....

Scared in PA......

Comment

Right there with you all!

Gosh you guys are writing my life story. I'm still 40 hours per week at a very fast paced job. Admin Asst. for 3 Assistant Principal's in a very hard high school. I get all the problems. Angry parents, students and am expected to fix all the school's problems. lol

Teachers call me with every question imaginable, student's cry to me (thought that was counselings job), kids that don't have lunch come to me for food, phone calls all day long, discipline records entered and routed, registration gathered and entered for 2000 kids. That's just a small day!

Now obviously I love my job! My bosses all like me (I think) as I just got another superior evaluation. Great right? WRONG! My life if over the minute it hits 1:00ish! Then what is left? My family gets nothing! I'm asleep usually by 5:00 and then weekends clean, organize and sleep.

2 Docs have told me I need to go out on disability. How? I am lucky that I do have a good disability policy in place at work but I'm scared to death about it.

Every feeling posted above mine is exactly how I feel. What are we supposed to do to counteract those feelings? How are we supposed to "make it" financially? How do we feel like contributors in life?

I will find an answer as one always comes. And it will probably be me making mental changes once again. Acceptance is never easy for me. But I think that is where my answer lies once again.

Sorry for the rant.

Comment

We are having a different situation. My husband has been a long haul truck driver for 22 years. He worked almost seven days a week most weeks. He started going numb and tingly then he couldn't walk. All in a matter of a month. He was working and now out of work the same day. No time to prepare. He was the main breadwinner and earned a great living. Now, we wait to hear back from SSDI. We only have my salary, which is not great compared to what his was. Scary.

Comment

hello

I completely understand! I haven't worked in 5 years and I am actually going back to work. I was lucky to find a job that I only work every other weekend but I am scared because it is 3rd shift. I figure I have 12 days in between weekends so I can recover but at this point, I need to go back, not only for financial reasons but my self-esteem.

Can any of you try TSS work (where you go around and work with kids in a school), a substitute teacher, sub assistants at your local schools? TSS work can be 1 day up to 5 days a week but you can usually pick your schedule. Sub teachers and assistants, you can go in when you feel like it. I have been working with a Voc rehab counselor and these were some of the options.

Good luck!
                  DX RRMS 04/05

Comment

I feel just like all of u all! I'm scared to try to work again, but my husband needs help. Hard to pay all the bills and have three kids and me to take care of. I don't know know what kind of job to search for. What I did before I know I will not be able to do now, I have so much fatigue, I am forgetting so easily and I don't know if I can add two and two some days. I want to apply for SSDI but so afraid that since this just was exercise in April that I wont have enough to back the claim. I guess all we do is try! My heart and prayers are with you all, we have to believe something will come about! Hugs

Comment

It is hard to wait...

Does anyone feel like the only postive you know is that this all happened for a reason. I feel like I've lost so much already. People tell me that I should write a book or become a speaker...etc. I can't even do the work I did for 10 years, how do I learn something in a completely different field? Wouldn't that really confuse me, make me extremely dizzy, and increase all my other symptoms? It's like everyone in my life has the answers except me.
                      Tracy

Comment

wow ...Yeah, this is all me, too
                        i am a 38 yr single mom of 4; my boyfriend lives with me and my 3 teenage boys. i still work full-time; he is on unemployment. i totaled our only vehicle two weeks ago and now we are on a borrowed car temporarily.
                        my boss is very supportive, but i just don't know how much more she can take. i don't really take days off of work, per se, more like come in late and / or leave early due to horrible fatigue. my family does not want me to drive any longer due to permanent vision loss from ON. i take one day off a month for tysabri infusion.
                        suffer from dizzines / cog fog / fatigue / vision problems. been told by so many, but you look so "normal".
                        there is a possiblity that i can go on disability, but i have been at this job for 10 years and have worked since i was 16 yrs old (minus the having the babies ) my boyfriend helps to support us financially, but i never thought i would be without a job, at least till i'm in my 60's.
                        i honestly don't know what i'd do with myself anyway, except sleep of course. then what???

Comment

wow i don't feel alone anymore

I thank everyone that shared on this topic. I have felt so alone. I have a very supportive husband, but it helps knowing I'm not the only one with these frustrations. I wish everyone the best. I still haven't found the answer. I have so much students loans and am out of work. I feel for my husband who is working so hard to support me and our child. I feel helpless.

Comment

Student Loans Forgiven

Bella1,

I am extremely ticked about the student loans also. I worked my tail off and took out a crapload of student loans to get a good job and not have to worry about money like my parents always did. I just wanted better for my own kids...isn't that what we all want?

Anyway, I am going on my second year with a student loan forbearance and applied for SSDI six weeks ago. My loan company told me that if I am approved for SSDI my dr can verify that I will not be returning to work and then my loan will be forgiven...erased....forever.

What a great plan! Get a chronic illness, don't work, live off SSDI, feel like crap inside and out all the time, but I won't have to pay my student loan. Hey, I figured it all out....LMAO!

Hope this helps!
                            Tracy

Comment

Have not posted in a long time.

Gosh! I really needed to hear this from someone else. I feel the same as all of you to some degree. I have worked for 30 years and now have applied for SSD due to fatigue and memory issues. My husband is supportive of me but I feel like I am useless.

Comment

Working...
                              X