Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Graduate Student needing advice

I would like to know if anyone can suggest an approach to a situation:

I am a graduate student and am newly diagnoised with MS. I am registered with disability office on campus. In the begining of this semester I requested a letter to be sent to a teacher of a class I knew I would have problems with ( cognitive issues). I asked my professor if he had recieved the letter and he said yes. I spoke to him in his office and he indicated he is not obligated to anything in the letter and just put it in his desk. The only request I asked was for additional office hours during the week ( we are only allowed 15 minute time slots with him or the TA and 15 minutes is not going to work for me in this sort of class). After I did poorly on the first test I asked again about the office hours and he said have the disability representative contact him. I later found out she did and still no help from him. He said he is not obligated to grant additional office hours. Needless to say I did poorly in the class and still nothing.

I wanted to know if graduate programs can deny accomindations to a student? I am so lost and dissappointed about how my department is handling this. I have finally found out why I was having problems academically and now that I know about the issue I can better address them and do better.

Does anyone, student or anyone have any suggestions for me. Thanks

You need to speak to the Dean of your university, he/she will be in charge of faculty development and/or discipline. Talk to said Dean about your concerns and requests for reasonable accommodations. Many universities also have an ombudsman office that you can speak with, and they may be able to help you with these issues also. Without giving legal advice, talk to the Dean about what you feel are ADA violations. Even if ultimately there are no violations, it will at least make them listen to what you have to say. Good luck.

Comment

When I was in grad school, the TA's were great, and always very happy to give us the extra time we needed to "get" class material that was difficult. In this case, I was not having cog issues, it was simply difficult material (Biostatistics), and other students who didn't have MS also wanted additional study sessions.

Our faculty was pretty good too about spending extra time as needed. Certainly we weren't limited to 15 minute time slots! I'm surprised at that. The professor may be under a contract and indeed not required to offer additional office hours, but I'd be disappointed and have a lesser opinion about a teacher who so lacked enthusiasm for his subject that he wouldn't spend extra minutes with an eager student who wanted to learn. I guess he has tenure and now wants to do as little as possible.

The suggestion to speak with the Dean sounds like a good one. Maybe your thesis adviser too, if you are far enough along in the program to have one. I believe grad schools are required to offer "reasonable accommodations" just like everyone else. I suppose the catch is in the definition of "reasonable."

Best of luck to you.

Comment

Hi dmc2010,

You're allowed only 15-minute time slots for office hours consultations? That's ridiculous. I should think anyone--able-bodied people as well as disabled ones--would have a problem with that.

If you can't get anywhere by the disability route, you might want to challenge the rule about 15-minute time slots in general.
        MEMBER OF MS WORLD SINCE 4/03.

SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/4/07-5/15/10.

Comment

I always had super helpful professors, but I have a friend who is blind (not MS-related) and she ran into a problem similar to yours. The professor was not very helpful or understanding, and I don't think they could force him to set aside hours after his scheduled hours to help her.

You may also look into getting a tutor if your school provides tutors. That's what my friend ended up doing. It helped her much more than this jerk professor ever could/would have.

It's tough, they are required to provide reasonable accommodations, but reasonable seems to be one of those words people don't agree on. And if this prof says that giving you extra time impacts other students, then I don't know what else can be done.

But still take time to consult the head of your department, as well as the graduate studies office. Those are the people you want on your side. If you can get them to back you up and have the support of DS, you might be able to "bully" this guy into being more helpful.

So, meet with them, and get a tutor. That's my advice in a nutshell. Good luck!
          Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

Comment

The tutor idea is a good one. Our grad school TA's offered individual tutoring for a nominal sum, while the small group sessions of two or more students were free. My daughter with ADHD got free tutoring as an undergrad through the Disabled Students Office at her college.

I'd guess that making a big fuss would not be a good career move, but if desperate, you can pull a few strings. If it is a state school, call your state legislative representatives; both state and private universities are subject to the federal laws regarding discrimination, so you could also call your Congressman/woman's office about this possible ADA violation.

My ADHD daughter was at a state school, and we had a significant (non-disability-related) issue where the school was in the wrong but wouldn't budge. My college classmate's wife is a state senator who happens to head up the Senate Committee on Education. I had met her only once, but one call to her office, and I had an apologetic call back from the college dean the same day assuring me the problem was corrected. And it was.

I am so sorry you are having these challenges dmc2010. Students with disabilities have enough medical problems without adding more bureaucratic nonsense. Unfortunately, graduate schools seem very big on bureaucratic nonsense.

Comment

Thanks

Wow all of the advice is very helpful so thank you. I still dont know what will happen but I would like to do this program as I love what I do (published and have presented at conferences) so I a not dumb just things are slower for me now days.

I had someone email me a site that lists what are considered reasonable accomindations by ADA standards. I still have a lot to read since I have not looked at the ADA throughly. I dont know why it such a big deal for a teacher to help a student. But my question is do graduate programs have to acknowledge the ADA or is it a case by case approach? I just finished finalizing my commettie so I will talk with them. Also my advisor is not very supportative so I am flying alone. The Dean thing is a big step because I dont want to make anyone mad at me but it looks like it will be that way. The school is public. I will keep you posted.

Comment

I am not a lawyer, but it is my understanding that, since ADA is a federal law, it does apply to everyone in the US. The problem is the definition of "reasonable" in reasonable accommodations.

If the professor's contract requires he teach 3 classes per week, meeting 1 hour each time, and offer office hours twice weekly for 2 hours each time, the school may not be able to require him to offer longer office hours. If on average, 16 students ask for office hour time each week, he might even have justification for limiting appointments to 15 minutes, not that I would think that is good practice.

I have in the past been a university faculty member, and I and my colleagues would not have thought such a faculty member to be very professional, and we would have thought he was shortchanging his students. I have never come across such refusal to help students who need assistance.

One more thought - most graduate programs have to be accredited by some national body that gives a "Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval" showing that the school/program meets standards, and that the degree awarded means something. It may be that a program that allows faculty to offer such meager resources to its students is violating such standards.

If your university has a law school or a health sciences division, there may be some knowledgeable resources in that division. And if I didn't get along with my thesis adviser, I'd consider requesting a better match. I met with several faculty with expertise in my field of research before I chose the one to be my adviser and chair my thesis committee.

Comment

{{{ HUGS TO YOU }}} And sorry you have to endure this.

If this professor was to grant you your much needed alloted time sounds like he would not be helpful nor want to be.

So I too wondered if they can provide another tutor or TA for you instead? Is that possible or not?

Best to you...and for those of us who USED to be swift thinkers and now are not...YOU are much appreciated!!

Warmly, Jan
                  I believe in miracles~!
                  2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
                  Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Update

Hi all, I have set up a meeting with the Dean and will see what happens. I am so tired of having to fight for a chance to complete a program I know I can do. I am however looking at what else I could do since I do not see anything good coming out of this. I thought about making a complaint to the Office for Civil Rights for education but why, my department does not even adhere to ADA so that will be a waste of time. I thought the school was one I could have a little pride in but lets face it when the word disability comes up people, teachers, friends advisors etc will abandon you quicker than you think as I am finding out. I want to thank you all for the positive input and I wish all of you all the best in all of your future goals. Take care.

Comment

Even if you think it may be a waste of time, consider challenging this infringement of your civil rights not just for you, but for the other people that are either too afraid or don't have the know how to do so for themselves. This is especially true if your school does not acknowledge the ADA. You might want to remind them that the Supremacy Clause of the Constitution says they have to, and as a state school receiving federal funds they need to take a close look at Title II of the ADA.

Comment

Update

lac4x9
                        Thank you for your reply. I have since spoke to the dean and my disability representative. If is funny that my department has a track record of problems with the disability office, they basically still think they can do anything they want. I am going to make sure this does not happen to other students so I in this until a resolution is made. I have written to my department head, and the deans office who is confused as why the department is handling this as they are. So I am just waiting for responses. Once again thank all of you for the great insights and advice. wish me luck

Comment

Originally posted by dmc2010 View Post
                          I asked my professor if he had recieved the letter and he said yes. I spoke to him in his office and he indicated he is not obligated to anything in the letter and just put it in his desk.
                          Wow, I've heard of eccentric professors, but this guy is just plain mean! I am think being a pupil of such a teacher would be hard under any circumstances!

I am with everyone else here (luckily, they remember the nuts and bolts of the process as it's been forever since I was a college student) when they say "go over his head".

The squeaky wheel gets the oil. Good luck sweetheart, and I'm sorry for your recent diagnosis. Chin up, and give them H-E + double toothpicks! Let us know what happens, O.K.?
                          Tawanda

Comment

BTW, if all else fails, CONTACT THE MEDIA!!!

Also wondering if the your local chapter of the NMSS has some legal pull.
                            Tawanda

Comment

In NY state, we have a program called VESID that helps arrange for additional help (like a tutor) and they pay for it. Maybe your state has something like this?
                              Insanity is doing the same thing over and over then expecting a different result
                              "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death" -Earl Wilson

Comment

Working...
                              X