FMLA ???'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FMLA

For whatever reason she wants you to request FMLA. It is to your benefit because it protects your job.

I was laid off and am looking for work and won't be eligible for FMLA for a year.

Comment

The Doctor does it

If I remember correctly, The Doctor fills out the paper work. Then it gets sent to the company's HR dept. When it gets approved, you are allowed the time off without being punished. The supervisor doesn't need to be told anything other than you won't be in that day.

It's NOT up to the supervisor to decide if you can take the time off. Keeping track of how the company handles this can be important. If they fire you over this, you could have some recourse. It's discrimination. Get your Doctor to fill out the FMLA form supplied by the company.

Good luck to all who have to deal with ignorant employers..

Comment

TO FILE OR NOT TO FILE FMLA

I am not sure whether or not to file FMLA. My manager, HR and Administrator all know I have MS. I did not want to tell anyone on the job but I am glad I did.. its really a load off my back. I am sure a few of the employees know which at this point, I really don't care.. I work in the medical field and as someone stated, its a bit hard having ms working in the medical field and that is so true.

I think they should know in case something happens.. they won't come back and say... well, we had no knowledge. Anyhue.. my company is not supportive at all regarding my condition..NOT AT ALL. They could care less.

I really do not want to apply for FMLA.. I want to try and go for Disability. I don't mind working but its beginning to be a bit much and I really can't afford to take leave without pay. I do have sick leave on my job. I went to the HR manager and she told me I had plenty of sick leave, therefore, I did not need to file for FMLA.

I do know that FMLA does protect your job.. but as I have stated, sitting at a computer all day is really wearing on my poor legs.. I can barely walk when I get off work. I take small breaks but sometimes my legs are bothering me so much and they are so stiff I don't feel like getting up. And lets not mention my poor tight stiff neck/shoulders.

I have an appt with my Neuro on Wed.. I will mention all this to him and see what he suggest.

Ms. Jay

Comment

I do have one suggestion for you if you do file for FMLA, don't let it expire.

I had FMLA for my MS and well the company required new paperwork every 3 months even though the doctor stated clearly in the papers that this will not go away.

Last year I had been off for 6 weeks and when I returned I was feeling so great, I did not keep my FMLA paperwork current. Well as luck had it, 3 months later there was a reduction in workforce. Guess who got laid off? Yep, me and well 5 others who had used FMLA that year. Illegal, heck yes, able to prove that the FMLA was the reason, hard to do.

I was lucky in the fact that I made upper mgmt aware that I know the numbers of who were laid off and how many had been on FMLA that year. We are talking an amazing 80%. When I was in the office turning in my equipment upper mgmt asked me if I would like a 2 week vacation and then come back to work. 2 weeks later sure enough I got the call 2 weeks later to return to work.

It is a long story but the short of it is once you file, keep it active for your own protection.

Comment

I just started laughing when I read about HIPAA and the healthcare employees. I'm a former "coder" and still work in the same hospital in a different position. For those not familiar with "coding", every hospital visit, ER visit, infusions,, ect. that was done in a hospital has to to through coding for insurance reimbursent.

I've long ago given up the thought of any privacy in regard to my health issues. My former co-workers read all of my hospital records. It's their job. And, having worked with them, I know discretion is not one of their virtues.

I could request that only a supervisor have access to my reccords, but, that just make it seem like I'm hiding something.

Comment

I've wondered about withholding or revoking my prior HIPAA authorization.

Comment

FMLA before disability

After all these years I thought I was pretty informed about my MS and the bureaucratic games that accompany it. But ... I recently realized that in the current work environments, it was time to go on disability.
                I immediately started the disability application process but found out the hard way that it does not have anything to do with your current sick time off.
                They deemed me AWOL for being off more than 10days even tho I was in constant contact with management.
                Long story short, my FMLA application was denied 3 times. We haven't even gotten to the long-term-disability process!
                Talk about stress ...

Comment

Working...
                X