Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Symmetrical Symptoms??

Hi everyone ,

I need some advice as I have been driving myself crazy researching the internet and now it's after 3 AM!

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced symmetrical symptoms of your MS. I had my neuro appt last week and when I was describing my remaining symptoms since my last relapse he kept asking me over and over if it was on BOTH side (both hands, both feet) which it is. As I sit here both hands are burning, painful. The toes on both feet are burning. Both shoulder blades feel warm/achy/sore.

I never really paid attention to it before but after researching (waaaay too much) it says that usually MS symptoms are not symmetrical. Should I be concerned? Please let me know what you all have experienced. Maybe I will be able to sleep better tomorrow night.

Thanks for listening...I will attempt to rest now. The nurse will be here in a few short hours to teach me how to self-inject my Avonex...wish me luck!

Originally posted by momof3first View Post
    Should I be concerned? Please let me know what you all have experienced. Maybe I will be able to sleep better tomorrow night.
    Disclaimer: I in no way want to sound like a jerk or dispassionate because what you are experiencing is certainly valid.

But what is the purpose of your concern?

I have had neuropathy in both of my hands for five years (but only diagnosed just over a year ago). My continuous non-stop MS Hug began on September 2008 and plagues me to this day (some days are worse than others).

And the fatigue is the worst because I have to maintain very professional employment, pay the mortgage payment (I am the only breadwinner in the household, etc)...

Also, when I have a pseudo flare-up, my body goes haywire...

But then again, the moment I think I have it bad it only takes a few moments to find people who have a heck of a lot worse. Consequently, I consider myself to be one of the fortunate ones.

Overall, this disease is so baffling that there is not a "one size fits all" approach. And there are only four frontline DMDs which have a measely 30% efficacy. But for me, the hardest part of this disease was acceptance. Things may or may not go away so I am much better prepared to accept my future.

Comment

Many times you get too much information when you research things on the Internet. Symptoms are usually on one side only, but not always. Could be a couple of lesions causing problems. Just because it is on both sides doesn't mean it is not MS. As always, everybody is different.
      Bill
      Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

My sx affect my left side. However, since my sx started in 1994(which was numbness and tingling in both feet) I still to this day still have the numbness and tingling in my right foot also. But it doesn't seem to cause any problems!

Good luck with your Avonex!

Comment

Surprised

My concern regarding the symmetrical symptoms was "could this be something else" other than MS. From everything that I have read the symptoms are usually not symmetrical.

I understand that this disease is unpredictable. Even though I have only been diagnosed for a little over a month I have had symptoms since 2008. The ones I mentioned above were only what I was experiencing at that moment while I was posting. It's not a competition but I also have had "the hug" (last year for 8 months and again this year for 6 weeks). I was unable to walk more than a few hundred feet until a few weeks ago. I also have all over muscle weakness, extreme fatigue, numbness, tingling, pain, memory problems...the list goes on. And at the same time I also have to maintain a very professional image as I am the primary breadwinner for my family who also has a mortgage and I have 2 year old triplets to care for on my own (my husband works nights).

I guess I was just looking to see if anyone out there has symmetrical symptoms like I did.

Kathy - thanks for your kind words; the training went well!

Comment

Originally posted by momof3first View Post
            And at the same time I also have to maintain a very professional image as I am the primary breadwinner for my family who also has a mortgage and I have 2 year old triplets to care for on my own (my husband works nights).
            Then you are in very good company here. And it is so important to vent out your frustrations as well as trying to learn as much as you can. It is ridiculously easy to be a hapless victim so I would rather be an informed patient. And that path has taken me on quite a few twists and turns.

But perhaps the best outcome was finding a good and new primary care physician. Instead of having my neuro be 100% responsible for my health, my family doctor now handles everything "except" for the MS. That decision alone has made the biggest change in my life because I am more directly treating stuff that a general practioner is better suited for. And vice-versa, I will only allow my MS neurologist solely handle my MS.

That being said, it then becomes a tremendous advantage to allow a primary care physician to be a dogged expert in attempt to isolate the stuff that isn't MS. And that is why I hate the "one size fits all" approach because this disease is so baffling that so many other things can just be lumped into MS while never addressing the root of a totally different problem.

So I must give you a virtual "high five" in your resolve to discover what is and is not MS. That kind of determination is what gets problems solved.

And my heart goes out to you. I have three screaming kids ages five and under and my youngest just hit the terrible twos but the three year old hasn't left that stage yet. But for someone to have "triplets" in the terrible twos stage must be chaotic so you must have so much courage to deal with this disease, a professional job, mortgage, etc.

Comment

My symptoms started off nine years ago being one sided. Over the years my flairs consisted of getting tired and weaker during the flair and gradually going away. Last year my symptoms progressed to affecting both sides. The heavy feelings have gone so far as affecting my ability to move my arms, trunk, and chest. It affects my ability to swallow and talk. Most days my left side is heavy, but on bad days it affects me everywhere.

Comment

you're not alone

I have had the burning/tingling/numbness in both hands and feet too - I actually had it last night while trying to sleep. For me, the sx's don't last all the time on both sides - it's 95% my right side that I have issues with. But every now and then, (esp if I'm stressed or overtired) both hands and feet will start tingling and going numb. Take heart in that you are not alone!

I will keep you in my prayers, and God bless!

~ Alison ~

Comment

Mine are all over the map.....

Head-neck zaps, usually on right, WORST are on my right, but minor less often on left.

HUG......BOTH sides, but for me it will start on either side then move to the other side.

LEG, left leg is the most problematic, always ahs been.

KNEE...Right knee

ANKLE..that one is a lefty

FOOT guess since I am right handed its a right side issue.

ARM-hand...mostly left, put on a silent song and dance last summer, was REALY funny to sit and watch, no pain
                  Also have partial numbness in left hand.

Well that the short list anyway.......

GOMER What? me symetrical, no way.

Comment

Working...
                  X