no nerve damage on EMG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no nerve damage on EMG?

The doc who did my EMG said he didn't see any nerve damage. Does that mean that I don't have MS? I haven't seen my neurologist yet for results but am a bit confused. I still have no dx but hearing I don't have nerve damage puzzles me as all my sx point to MS. Can you have a normal EMG and still have MS? Is MS actually considered "nerve damage?"

I also had a normal EMG which meant there was no nerve damage, which helped confirm that my problems was in the central nervous system. It actually pointed toward MS, did not rule it out. It does not confirm MS, but is part of the whole diagnosis process along with other tests.

I had a hard time getting a straight answer about my results too. You hear "normal" and think that's good, and it is because it does rule out some very nasty diseases like ALS.

Comment

SAME HERE

I had a normal EEG but have lesions, and had sx'd. Yes a normal EEG is a dual egde sword, it rules out other bigger issues but yes can still have MS. I just got dx'd and read the book MS for Dummies. Someone in the chat room recommended it to me, and its great.

Comment

I ALSO HAD A NORMAL. BUT THE TEST WAS DONE WITH ELECTRIC 'SHOCKS' AND THE MUSCLE RESPONSE WAS MEASURED.

DAVE
        hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
        volunteer
        MS World
        hunterd@msworld.org
        PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Thanks to both of you for feedback. I should get that book. BTW it was an EMG and not an EEG which is something totally different. I have had EEG in past and it was "normal." But the comments about still pointing to MS don't upset me because after so many years of on and off symptoms I'm just desperate for a diagnosis. I feel it is MS and would actually be relieved to know that for sure. Anyway thanks for both of your input.

Comment

emg too, semi-normal for me

Strange that this should come up regarding whether EMG results point toward or away from MS. mine pointed toward. It was my neurologist who ordered me to have an EMG a couple of months ago because my endocrinologist was saying that my left leg (MS side) was diabetic neuropathy. I've already been diagnosed with neuropathy in my right foot, ankle (a little bit) years ago but it's nothing like the numbness in my left foot and leg. Well, the EMG showed NO neuropathy in that leg and lo! and behold carpal tunnel in both wrists!!! I didn't even have any symptoms of that. Oh well.

Anyway, both doctor and I agree that what is going on in my left leg is actually the MS in my head. And I guess after all these years my sister and mom are right....
            It's all in my head!

Comment

EMG.... i know of someone with MS that got the same result for their EMG saying that she has no nerve damage,
              but carpal tunnel. she doesnt have carpal tunnel. My EMG was also negative for nerve damage.

Comment

Am thinking nerve DAMAGE is the key. With no damage, the nerves will rewire themselves around so that you still can use that limb. At least that's how my pt-people explained it to me. If the nerve is damaged, it has to heal before it can be used again, IF it ever heals.

Comment

HunterD: Mine was shocks also but they really did not bother me like they did when I had them done in Erie, PA. That doc was brutal. Mayo was so gentle.....must have something to do with who administers it don't you think?

Comment

Working...
                  X