Hot Showers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot Showers

I know hot "anything" is a no-no, but I still like warm to hot showers or baths. But lately those pleasures just wear me out! When I get out of the shower I am nearly sick and totally fatigued. Sometimes to the point of not being able to function for awhile.

I have Graves disease (hyperthyroidism) and MS and both of these give issues with heat. There are times I can go along and nothing bothers me, but then.... wham... like a ton of bricks! The heat seems to trigger the "walking thru mud" feeling in my legs.

And speaking of "triggers"...... can anyone tell me what actually happens in our brains when a symptom is triggered? Does something happen with the lesions that cause them to decide to kick us around? One minute you can be just fine and then everything changes in the next minute.

Thanks for listening.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Oh my gosh Marti! My hubby has Grave's disease, no thyroid. I couldn't imagine him having what we have. I feel for you double time {{{HUGS}}}

I can so relate to feeling fine one moment, well besides the symptoms that don't subside for days, and then not feeling fine the next.

My husband will say "How are you feeling?". It's just easier to say "Fine but I'll let you know in a few minutes."

I have learned to stop taking baths. There is no taking a luke warm bath unfortunately Well, it wouldn't be pleasurable for me anyways. I don't take hot showers anymore either but when I do splurge, boy am I sorry.

Hang in there! We are here to listen always

Comment

Jamilea I am so sorry for your husband. I know how miserable the thyroid thing makes me. I'm really interested in talking with other Graves people. It's the most confusing, frustrating thing since MS! We used to be able to "private message" here, but I don't think we can do that anymore. I'd love to give you my email address, but not sure that is "legal" either. Let me know if there is a way we can email or phone talk.

Hang in there. My husband and I have multiple health issues also. Makes things very dicey.
      Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Hot isn't necessarily a no-no with everyone. I sit in a very warm hot tub, the warmer the better! Doesn't give me a bit of trouble.

But weather over 80 degrees slows me down, and makes me miserable.

Cold bothers me more.
        Brenda
        Adversity gives you two choices in life: either let it make you bitter, or let it make you better! I choose the latter.

Comment

marti- no hot showers for me either!

I remember in the past, during the winter months I would stay in there till the hot water ran out!

I do remember only 1 time when I was actually weak after a hot shower, had MS then apparently, but didn't know it.

I really miss those comfy showers!!

Comment

Yeah, taking a shower wears me out.....yesterday, I also cleaned the shower afterwards and had to lay down and rest before going out.

Hard for others to understand. I miss my long, hot showers.

JudySz

Comment

When my husband travels he brings home
              the disposable shower caps that are provided in the hotel room.
              I always wear one whenever I take a shower. It's amazing how it prevents me from getting overheated.
              DX 1982

Comment

hot/warm showers

Take a nice warm/hot shower right before you go to bed. If it makes you feel so tired, you should sleep like a rock.

Comment

Hello Marti, Heat does me in so I take a warm shower, a shot of Copaxone and I drift off to sleep every night. I Just worked with an Endocrinologist this week as my regular doc suspected a mild case of Graves based on initial labs. Further tests are just outside normal range, not enough to indicate Graves for sure but enough to warrant yearly blood tests to monitor. I have a sister with Graves disease so monitoring is appropriate.

Comment

So far, the weakness from taking a hot bath is still worth taking the bath. I need that relaxation, and it does help me sleep!
                    Melody
                    Diagnosed 1/28/10

Comment

wow

You know what? I seriously had never thought about the hot showers. I guess being diagnosed two years ago, I'm still a newbie When I take hot showers, I do notice on occasion that I feel somewhat sick and slightly dizzy when I'm just about to step out of the shower and I have to give myself a couple minutes to let the feeling subside. Weird? I've been sensitive to over-heating ever since my symptoms started, like when I go running or work out my right leg gets numb until I cool down.

Comment

Working...
                      X