Did they work for you? Acetyl L-carnitine and alpha lipoic acid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help

i tried a whole bottle of the combo, about half of what you suggest because my body reacts so crazy to new meds. sometimes the reaction is way much more than it is suppose to be and sometimes it's just the opposite (like codeine makes me VERY hyper). so i was trying to be cautious.
    i kept falling asleep every time i sat still for too long. that's been about a mo.
    i'd love to have more energy for the holidays, but am afraid to take it anymore. did ask dr. he said to go for it. couldnt hurt. but he's never hit me as an MS expert at all.
    my ins. (medicare) has me stuck with him. i don't take thyroid or any other of those meds ya'll said hurt it.
    am i just one of those weirdos who it doesn't help?
    i was so excited when i saw all the positive comments. can't get approved for provigil (actually took it away from me) or nuvigal of course.
    what to do?
    thanks
    "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

A good B vitamin complex is worth to try along with these two supplements.

Ran

Comment

Originally posted by Ranwah View Post
        A good B vitamin complex is worth to try along with these two supplements.

Ran
        thanks, i'm on B12, sometimes B6 when i remember. when i'm tired i make a lot of mistakes including meds.

1st neuro in 2002 put me on B12 & lots of water a day.
        i'll just keep trying!
        "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

Started today

Hi I started 1000 mgs of each today (been taking omega and cq 10 for a few mos now)..I have tried provigil and nuvigil and even ritalin for fatigue and nothing has helped. in fact felt more fatigued on nuvigil than ever! hoping this works for me, I have to work and my job is very anaylytical, not to mention all the housework and physical activities I need to do.. hopefully this will help, will let you all know ...

Comment

Thanks for sharing the info on this, I've been feeling totally run down lately, so I really want to try this. Does anyone know if the combo pill affects ones blood pressure? Mine has been running super low lately low as 80/48 on a bad day sometimes a little higher. but I dont want to take anything that can lower it--at least not till it gelts back up to higher ranges as it could be really dangerous to be any lower then it already gets--does anyone take this that gets low bp?

Comment

attn: Shashi

Good morning. You have mentioned not to take the ALA combo if you take thyroid meds. Why is this? I take thyroid meds and also the ALA/ALC combo and have had no problem and would hate to have to give up the ALA/ALC. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by butterfly.girl View Post
                Thanks for sharing the info on this, I've been feeling totally run down lately, so I really want to try this. Does anyone know if the combo pill affects ones blood pressure? Mine has been running super low lately low as 80/48 on a bad day sometimes a little higher. but I dont want to take anything that can lower it--at least not till it gelts back up to higher ranges as it could be really dangerous to be any lower then it already gets--does anyone take this that gets low bp?
                I don't think it affects your blood pressure. I know mine runs high, and it sure hasn't helped lower it any! LOL!
                Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
                Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Originally posted by GinnyRuth View Post
                  Good morning. You have mentioned not to take the ALA combo if you take thyroid meds. Why is this? I take thyroid meds and also the ALA/ALC combo and have had no problem and would hate to have to give up the ALA/ALC. Thanks!
                  You actually shouldn't take them with thyroid meds until you consult your doctor. The reason is, they can actually increase the effectiveness of the meds, so you might need them adjusted. (Same for diabetics taking meds too.)

However, if you're already taking them and haven't had any problems, then you're probably okay. But if you have any trouble, check with your doctor.
                  Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
                  Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                  Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Started ALC/ALA

Well I started the ALA/ALC combo today we'll see what happens!

I am on warfarin because of blood clots last year, and the ALC says it can react with the warfarin, so I have to keep a close eye on my INR levels.

I'll keep you informed.

Gary

Comment

Were to buy ALC????

Hi I was excited yo get started on the ALC/ALA combo...I live in British Columbia and went to my Health Food store. They say they don't sell the ALC in Canada. Any other Canadians taking this and if so WERE DO YOU BUY IT FROM??? I started ALA but really want to try the combo.

Comment

ALA Dosage Form

It is important to consider the way the ALA is formulated when you decide on a daily dose. It's not common knowledge, but ALA is not very soluble in water and thus isn't absorbed well into the bloodstream. You can buy "solubilized" forms that have a high bioavailability and are more effective. My wife has had benign/secondary progressive MS for more than 35 years, and takes 600 mg/day of a solubilized ALA called ThioGel. She also takes 500mg of ALC daily.

Comment

Originally posted by knuckle View Post
                          Skip's Pharmacy in Boca Raton, FL. with a prescription as written by my neuro. $66 for a 100 day LDN supply. Skip's also provides my 4-AP at $98 for a 100 day supply.

I'm not promoting Skip's necessarily as many compounding pharmacies make LDN, but Skip's price is very competitive and a lot of MSers use them.
                          I get my LDN from Skips as well. What is 4-AP?

I started ALA & ALC following the inst. on bottles (3 & 4 x day) and could not sleep at night at all. Also felt very anxious. As a result, the exhaustion was worse. After reading this thread, I will try again, taking all mgs in the morning. Thanks

Comment

Differences & Cautions

For someone who asked earlier about the difference between Acetyl-L-Carnitine and L-Carnitine, my bottle says "ALC is a more bioavailable form of LC". I looked up bioavailable to make sure I understood the meaning, which was defined as "For dietary supplements, herbs and other nutrients in which the route of administration is nearly always oral, bioavailability generally designates simply the quantity or fraction of the ingested dose that is absorbed".

Next for the cautions - I just started taking the 1000/200 dosage 2 weeks ago and have yet to notice any improvement in my fatigue. Today is a rough day with the fatigue and pain, but I still plan to stick with it for at least a month. Another factor is the heat here, has been running around 100+ degrees for past 2 weeks. But I also take a thyroid medine, synthroid and I am reading that caution should be taken with thyroid med. Are there any other common meds that require caution? I'm checking with my nutritionist too and will update with what I find out. Also checking my blood pressure to make sure it's ok.
                            My Cross To Bear Keeps Fallin Off

Comment

hi

I bought alpha lipoic acid 200mg. weeks ago and yup im retarded and forgot to take it lol.

so, i can't take it alone i have to get the other stuff? how much of the other stuff with this stuff??

i'm going to start popping tmrw. i'm tired of being tired..
                              Jen Dx'd 5/11
                              "Live each day as if it were your last"

Comment

You're not going to get much, if any, help with your fatigue from taking 200 mg of ALA alone. You'll have to add 1000 mg of Acetyl L-Carnitine.

[Correction: 500 mg Acetyl L-Carnitine]

Comment

Working...
                                X