No announcement yet.

Did they work for you? Acetyl L-carnitine and alpha lipoic acid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been on these for 1 month and I have to say THANK YOU for bringing these to my attention here!

I went to an out of town wedding last weekend. An 8 hour car drive, a rehearsal dinner, a long walk the next day and then dancing till midnight. I was a bit meh from the booze the next day but I was there an alert for all of it!

I am now up and on my feet after work, fixing dinner, working in my garden, and being up and about in general

Comment

Good for you MSRSX!!

(careful with the boozin')

Take care,
      KoKo
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Checking with doctor first

Originally posted by Shashi View Post
        I've been taking acetyl L-carnitine and alpha lipoic acid for the past few months with some amazing results. I think I've also influenced several people here to try it, just as I was influenced by someone else here to try it. (Thank you, whoever you were! You gave me my life back!) I also think I've turned into an anti-oxidant groupie! If there were a fan club, I'd be the biggest fan!

And is it any wonder? At a dosage of 1,000 mg of acetyl L-carnitine and 200 mg of alpha lipoic acid daily, I have regained most of the energy that I lost when this rollercoaster ride started almost four years ago. That horrible, life-draining fatigue is gone!

I so hope that those who are trying it have had the awesome results that I have had (though I know of a few who haven't.) So, I was just wondering, for those of you who have tried it or are giving it a try, what results have you had? How long have you been on it? (Keeping in mind it can sometimes take up to a month to see results, and you may have different results based on the dosage you are taking.)
        Do you always check with your doctor before adding a new supplement? I'm interested in trying these since so many of you are having luck with them. I'm going to be starting Ampyra soon and don't want to mix too many new things

Comment

You have convinced me.. I have bought a ticket, now seated comfortably on the bus and will let you know how the ride turns out..

In other words, bought ALA/ALC, been taking them for 3 days and will let everyone know how it turns out! Fingers and Toes crossed!

Comment

Originally posted by nkh18 View Post
            Do you always check with your doctor before adding a new supplement? I'm interested in trying these since so many of you are having luck with them. I'm going to be starting Ampyra soon and don't want to mix too many new things
            Always, always check with your doctor before taking any new supplements, particularly with these two supplements if you are also taking diabetic or thyroid medications. ALA can increase the effectiveness of both of these types of medications, which can result in problems and the necessity to readjust your dosages of them. (Some people have actually been able to go off of their diabetes medications while taking ALA.)

Good luck to you and to Sugar Britches as well. I hope you are able to get some relief from the fatigue. (Keep in mind too though that if you are exposed to the summer heat, you may still have fatigue from that too. ALC/ALA are fantastic, but there are limits to what even they can do. I'm having a real problem with fatigue this summer. I can only imagine how much worse it would be without these supplements!)
            Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
            Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
            Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Wow!

I live in Utah and the weather is so HOT right now that I am even more tired. Anyway I went out and bought these after reading this thread and already notice a difference!!!!!

I love them. I had even done research online and found that they are just as good as the prescription Provigil for fatigue.

Haven't tried Provigil and doesn't look like I will for now as I would rather take these than another stinkin prescription.

Thanks so much for passing on your knowledge and experience to all of you!!!!
              Dx'd RRMS 7/12/2010, Back in the Prob. Pile 2/1/2011 "Jump, and you will find out how to unfold your wings as you fall”...Ray Bradbury

Comment

OK, so I just called my pharmacist and got her to check to see if there would be interactions with my current meds (of which there are MANY). Anyway, I'm good to go so I will be getting ALA & Acetyl L Carn ASAP. Hope I have the success that many of you have had!

Comment

Just ordered them...gonna see what I think. I am excited to give them a try.

Comment

This thread convinced me to try ALA/ALC and I have also done some Googling of it and WOW it sounds good.

The two both seem to effect the mitochondrial, in completely different ways. Mitochondrial DNA being what converts food energy into form of energy used by cells.
                    ALC helps in energy production and ALA reduces damage done to mitochondrial. The best I can figure aging, stress and I’m guessing MS is the main damaging sources.

Does anyone know how long it takes for ALC to take effect and how long it last.
                    Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

I've been taking these for over six months now and also Co Q 10. My energy is good, working retail, selling, standing 40+ hours a week competing with 20-30 somethings. I'm holding my ground quite well too and I'm 52 years old with MS.
                      Take care, Wiz
                      RRMS Restarted Copaxone 12/09

Comment

Originally posted by Sir-Voor View Post
                        This thread convinced me to try ALA/ALC and I have also done some Googling of it and WOW it sounds good.

The two both seem to effect the mitochondrial, in completely different ways. Mitochondrial DNA being what converts food energy into form of energy used by cells.
                        ALC helps in energy production and ALA reduces damage done to mitochondrial. The best I can figure aging, stress and I’m guessing MS is the main damaging sources.

Does anyone know how long it takes for ALC to take effect and how long it last.
                        I noticed a difference within just a few days of taking ALC and ALA. I have read that it can take up to a month though to get the full effect of the supplements. Also, for me, the effects seem to last about a day and a half. If I miss a morning taking them, I start feeling it about halfway through the day. The few times I have done that were horrible as that awful fatigue returned. So I don't really try not to forget anymore. Good luck, and again, be sure to check with your physician before you start taking any supplements or medications.
                        Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                        Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

new to these

Have started co q 10 today and will start thes two supplements on Monday for fatigue. Am looking forward to it. I have an order from doc to start Nuvigil (Provigil) but I would rather try the supplements first!

Comment

blood sugar problems

hi all, I started the combo 3 days ago(500 alc+ 200 ala) daily to start. 3 hours after my last meal, while at my bowling league, i had a low blood sugar attack. I have no sugar issues. Waiting for doc to return email. anybody else have this problem? barry

Comment

I am ready to give this a try.

I have looked at various "vitamin" websites and cannot seem to find the acetyl L-carnitine (1000 mg) and alpha lipoic acid (200 mg) in combination. Do you have to buy them separately? Or is there somewhere I can order them in combination?

Thanks in advance for your replies....

Comment

barryrado, ALA can affect your blood sugar. I know with people who have diabetes, taking ALA can cause decrease the need for medications. I think it's because ALA increases the cell's ability to use nutrients. Have you checked with your doctor? You either may not be able to take these supplements or you might need to decrease the amount you take or eat a small snack every few hours.

mnkitten, I think there is a 500 mg ALC and 200 mg ALA combination that you can get at Walmart. I don't think there is the 1000/200 combo though, not that I've found.

I just take the two separately. I take 39 prescription and supplement pills a day, so it doesn't really matter. I get mine through Puritan's Pride.

Good luck! I hope you have the great results that others here have had.

Comment

Working...
                                X