Did they work for you? Acetyl L-carnitine and alpha lipoic acid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did they work for you? Acetyl L-carnitine and alpha lipoic acid

I've been taking acetyl L-carnitine and alpha lipoic acid for the past few months with some amazing results. I think I've also influenced several people here to try it, just as I was influenced by someone else here to try it. (Thank you, whoever you were! You gave me my life back!) I also think I've turned into an anti-oxidant groupie! If there were a fan club, I'd be the biggest fan!

And is it any wonder? At a dosage of 1,000 mg of acetyl L-carnitine and 200 mg of alpha lipoic acid daily, I have regained most of the energy that I lost when this rollercoaster ride started almost four years ago. That horrible, life-draining fatigue is gone!

I so hope that those who are trying it have had the awesome results that I have had (though I know of a few who haven't.) So, I was just wondering, for those of you who have tried it or are giving it a try, what results have you had? How long have you been on it? (Keeping in mind it can sometimes take up to a month to see results, and you may have different results based on the dosage you are taking.)
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

jury's still out

I bought it 3 weeks ago, unfortunately I keep forgetting to take them on a regular basis. The last few days I have been remembering, so time (and remembering) will tell!

Comment

I'm taking them too along with Co Q 10 and feeling great!!
      Take care, Wiz
      RRMS Restarted Copaxone 12/09

Comment

Hey Shashi - you turned me onto this awhile back and just recently in another post, L-carnitine came up again. I mentioned that I didn't know if it was helpful or not. Well, I goofed up and realized that I had only been taking 500 mg instead of 1,000 mg. recommended! So, we'll see what a full dose does! (I'm also taking 300mg of ALA instead of 200 mg.)

I have noticed a little bit of change in my energy level, but that could be due to the fact that it's getting to be springime in Wa. state and I always feel better then and more energized. Anyway, will keep you posted!!

And thanks again!
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I took your advice about 4 weeks ago and gave it a try! My neuro gave me something for fatique (don't even remember what it was, because I got rid of it after 3 days) I am so glad I tried it because I have had wonderful results also.

I had instant relief! I bought mine at Walmart and could only find the 400/200 mg. I took one capsule in the mornings, just to see how it would work, thinking I would have to increase it to twice a day. It works great and I never had to increase the dosage!

I was so glad this worked for me! I would rather take a supplement over a prescription drug.

I am going to the Mayo clinic in 2 weeks and I hope that I can get other supplements to take for some of my symptoms!! I have been trying magnesium/calcium for my spasicity, haven't had any noticable changes yet. I have only been on it for 2 weeks, so it may take longer to work. My neuro said I may have to up the milligrams in a few weeks just to see if I notice a difference.

Thanks Sashi for your recommendation!
          Fall down seven times....get up eight!

Comment

Shashi,

I've been looking for something to help me. Now, when you describe fatigue, can you be more specific?

I feel like my fatigue is more about not having the energy to do stuff, but I am not sleepy. Its just hard for my body to move at times.

Did these supplements help with that type of fatigue?

Thanks

Comment

Mysham ~ my symptoms of fatique were both, lack of energy and tired all the time. I would be at work and just couldn't find the ambition to start anything. I would then come home from work and have to take an hour nap. I would make supper and then just sit because I had no energy to do anything.

The Acetyl L-Carnitine/Aplha Lipoic Acid gave me instant relief and I am actually taking a lower mg. dosage than Sashi. I would definately give it a try and see if it works for you!
              Fall down seven times....get up eight!

Comment

Originally posted by mysham View Post
                Shashi,

I've been looking for something to help me. Now, when you describe fatigue, can you be more specific?

I feel like my fatigue is more about not having the energy to do stuff, but I am not sleepy. Its just hard for my body to move at times.

Did these supplements help with that type of fatigue?

Thanks
                mysham, the fatigue I had was just what you describe. I wasn't sleepy. It just felt as though my arms and legs weighed 300 lbs. apiece and trying to move was almost impossible. I felt as though I had run a 20K race uphill through waist deep mud. Just trying to comb my hair was exhausting, and I usually had to drop my arm down to rest several times before I was finished.

That is the fatigue I had for almost four years (with very little relief during that time.) And that is the fatigue I no longer have!

Twice I have not taken the supplements on a weekend, thinking I'd save some money that way and only take it while I was working during the week. By Sunday, I was dragging around again like snails carrying lumber. It was awful. I quickly decided that I'd give up something else (like food or gasoline) before I'd stop taking them again!
                And that is how I know the supplements are working for me.

I'm so glad those who have tried it here have had good results. It's one of those amazing things that you just want to share with everyone!

Hugs,

Lisa
                Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

My daughter (32) just started 600 mg alpha lipoic acid (2xday@300mg) a week ago. Your stories are encouraging. Hopefully my Emmy will have some possible results.

Cheryle, in Oregon
                  "Blood is thicker than water but love is thicker than blood."~Unknown

Comment

Shashi, I'am from India and here we do not have compounding pharmas, any idea if I have to go about asking these things at a med store what I should ask for?

Comment

Originally posted by mahiyar View Post
                      Shashi, I'am from India and here we do not have compounding pharmas, any idea if I have to go about asking these things at a med store what I should ask for?
                      mahiyar, can you order from online stores? I checked the company I get my supplements from, Puritan's Pride, and they do have international shipping. You might want to check them out. The website is puritan.com (add the www. of course).

If not, just check with the med store and ask for the supplements by name. They are a common anti-oxidant, so maybe they will have them, if not the combination, at least separately.)

Comment

Thanks Shashi for the quick response, did go to a pharma store, found ALA, goes under the name of DiaVit, fyi I'am giving the ingredients, hope it is ok --

"alpha lipoic acid 100 mg, calcium pantothenate 5 mg, calcium phosphate dibasic 93.16 mg, chromium 50 mcg, copper 0.5 mg, folic acid 1.5 mg, magnesium 40 mg, manganese 2 mg, niacinamide 45 mg, phosphorus 72 mg, selenium 70 mcg, vitamin A palmitate 5000 iu, vitamin B1 mononitrate 4.5 mg, vitamin B12 5 mcg, vitamin B2 5 mg, vitamin B6 1.5 mg, vitamin C 75 mg, vitamin D3 400 iu, vitamin E acetate 15 iu, zinc oxide 20 mg"

However still to find the akyl carnatine thing, now I have two questions

1) Can I go ahead with ALA only, till I find the akyl.
                        2) How important is it to take the combo?

Thanks in advance

God Bless

Comment

You can take ALA by itself, but from what I've read, it's the acetyl L-carnitine in combination with the ALA that reduce fatigue. I hope you're able to find it. Can you order it online from the site I mentioned?

Comment

yeah!

After three years of fatigue, I feel like a new person! This stuff actually works. I bought mine at WalMart from NatureMade. It is the combo pill. I started with one pill and I think that it is all I need. I have only been on it for three days, but I can soooo tell a difference! Amazing doesn't begin to describe how good I feel! I wish I had found this info years ago.

Comment

Been taking the 400/200 combo pill for about a week. I am not able to make a determination yet and I'm generally reluctant to make positive evaluations about anything that's supposed to help with MS. I will be sure to update in another week or so.
                              Steve
                              sometimes you can't make it on your own

Comment

Working...
                              X