Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you too tired to take care of yourself?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motivation

My boyfriend broke up with me yesterday. As I was getting ready to go over to his house to have "the talk" I actually took a shower, did my hair, put on makeup, picked out some nice clothes...guess what, even though the event was horrible; I actually felt better about myself than I had in a long time. I, like most of you, haven't really styled my hair or put on makeup in MONTHS. Doing it made me realize that sometimes sitting around in the pjs or an oversized sweatshirt and pants has possibly added to my fatigue and depression. I have made myself the promise that I am going to wake up, walk, jump into the shower, dry my hair, and put on makeup - then if I want to collapse and take a nap - fine. I am hoping that maybe, just maybe, I won't. Maybe, just maybe, I will want to go out, meet some friends. Maybe my energy will last an extra half hour because I feel good about myself. It is worth a try.

Comment

Originally posted by dixiemermaid View Post
      Maybe my energy will last an extra half hour because I feel good about myself. It is worth a try.
      How are you doing? Although you had some sad things to report in your life right now, I really appreciate what you said here. Maybe instead of chasing the BIG FAT CURE FOR M.S. Unicorn, we should concentrate on making everyday a little better by tapping into our inner strength.

Thanks for the reminder, and good luck to you in your personal affairs.
      Tawanda

Comment

Provigil, 'nuf said

Please see the postings under Medications and Natural Supplements about Provigil for fatigue. It's my wonder drug. Gives me fatigue-fighting energy and also seems to lift depression. (My depression must be caused entirely by fatigue.) I bite my 200 mg pill into 3rds or even 4ths whenever I need more energy, not every day. Provigil is extremely expensive -- about $10 per pill -- so make sure your insurance covers it. It was originally developed for narcolepsy. I feel it has greatly enhanced my life. Warning: it makes you talk too much.

Comment

You know, it is funny how different drugs have such vastly different effects on us. I tried Provigil once and it did absolutely NOTHING for my fatigue other than make me tired and jittery. I abandoned it after about 3 different tries. For the price of it, I wanted to have the energy of a monkey on crack - far from what I got. I wish I could find a magic bullet. Today by 6th period - I teach - I literally thought I would face plant on my desk in a dead sleep.

Comment

Being tired all the time

I was tired all the time and took Provigil but it made me hyper and jumped at every sound. I have now been on amantadine for 3 years and it has really helped me. I realize everyone reacts different to every medication but maybe you should try it.

Comment

Same problem

Same exact problem and I work fulltime. Here are changes I made; others may have better tips.
              - got a haircut that doesn't require styling
              - shower the night before (too tired in morning)
              - got a shower chair, installed many handrails, changed shower head to sprayer on hose
              - make sure shampoo, soap is in easy reach. I brush teeth/floss in shower so I can be seated
              - lay out clothes the night before work
              - dress in bed, deodarant, brush/comb, hand mirror on nightstand
              - just rinse off face, brush teeth in restroom
              - makeup is in nightstand but either go minimal or none at all depending on energy level
              - electric shaver near couch, so can shave legs when I feel up to it
              - In other words, I do as much as possible the evening before. I get ready almost entirely on bed in morning.
              Dx in May 2008 at age 44

Comment

lizzz,
                hugs to you! Everyone responding to your thread seems to be giving you good ideas. The one that I agree with the most is that you need to see your PCP and make sure there isn't something besides M.S. causing your fatigue. Also, know that there are meds to battle fatigue. When you go in to see your PCP talk about them....ask PCP to give you a list of meds they would consider prescribing to you.
                Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Hi There...
                  When I read your post my first thought was ...."this poor woman really needs a spa day!". If you can afford it...it may just be the best money you've ever spent. Girl....go get those eye brows waxed....nails pedicured...and have a massage too while you're at it! YOU deserve it! And really relax while you are there...don't worry about making supper (make it a pizza take out night)....just do this one thing for YOU! You will feel like a million bucks when you're done.....rejuvenation is key!

Blessings,
                  B.

Comment

Originally posted by Aunt B View Post
                    Hi There...
                    When I read your post my first thought was ...."this poor woman really needs a spa day!". If you can afford it...it may just be the best money you've ever spent. Girl....go get those eye brows waxed....nails pedicured...and have a massage too while you're at it! YOU deserve it! And really relax while you are there...don't worry about making supper (make it a pizza take out night)....just do this one thing for YOU! You will feel like a million bucks when you're done.....rejuvenation is key!

Blessings,
                    B.
                    I love the way you think, Aunt B!
                    Tawanda

Comment

taking care of yourself?

I wish I could stay in my jammies but something inside me says that is for sick people and I'm trying not to let ms make me look like I feel altho it is winning, I used to make sure my shower hair all was alwasys done but now, well after 10 yrs f primary progressive ms i'm tired. mostly i'm tired wanting to be as normal as i can with being a wife and mother but ms is winning. I'm pooped, and it seems like life goes by sooo very fast. I just wanted to enjoy more of it but then the recession hit and hubby being layed off for almost 2 yrs and house in foreclosure a couple times thats all very exhausting, so i have learned in the past 2 yrs of things i can live without like god make-up and nair and the list goes on.I know things will pick up i just hope they d while i can still enjoy them, i know poor me. h well thanx for letting me vent for the first time in 10 yrs, puttz

Comment

When I was seriously ill with the ME and often bedbound or just housebound, I lived in my pyjamas, when I got well enough to get back into my clothes, they didn't fit me any more (it was a long time I was disabled by it).

Later, when I was up and about, I waited - and still do some days - until after 5pm when I felt well enough to get bathed and dressed, that is still the case during most of the winter months when my health takes a nosedive, however, during the warmer half of the year, I get washed, dressed, put a very small amount of make up on, perfume and jewellery

It makes me feel good to take care of myself, even if I am just sat indoors due to giddiness or fatigue.

Comment

Originally posted by puttz View Post
                          I wish I could stay in my jammies but something inside me says that is for sick people and I'm trying not to let ms make me look like I feel altho it is winning, I used to make sure my shower hair all was alwasys done but now, well after 10 yrs f primary progressive ms i'm tired. mostly i'm tired wanting to be as normal as i can with being a wife and mother but ms is winning. I'm pooped, and it seems like life goes by sooo very fast. I just wanted to enjoy more of it but then the recession hit and hubby being layed off for almost 2 yrs and house in foreclosure a couple times thats all very exhausting, so i have learned in the past 2 yrs of things i can live without like god make-up and nair and the list goes on.I know things will pick up i just hope they d while i can still enjoy them, i know poor me. h well thanx for letting me vent for the first time in 10 yrs, puttz
                          I guess we don't need to pressure ourselves to look like Barbie Dolls, but staying clean, brushing our teeth and using deodorant should be kept in check as long as possible (off to brush my teeth now...it's like 1:00PM!).
                          Tawanda

Comment

I would just like to say thank you. I think this is the first time I have ever heard other females say they have had trouble with a hair dryer. I thought I was born without that gene.

Comment

Wow...I haven't been on these forums for a couple of years and how things have changed!

Anyway---back on topic. Yes, along with everyone else, I have the same problem. I take Provigil and it works, but only when I am fully rested. This past fall nothing I did worked to get rid of the gray-fog of fatigue/tired/lethargy I was dealing with. A checkup with my PCP (who set me up with a sleep study) showed that I also have obstruction apnea, so while I didn't stop breathing during my sleep, I wasn't getting as much oxygen as I should have. Now I have a CPAP machine into the MS issue and although I'm not crazy about having to wear one every night, the difference in how much more awake and energetic I feel is amazing. Since starting up with the CPAP, I've been able to scale back down on the Provigil and that makes me very happy.

I still don't like the days where apathy makes me not want to get out of bed---and believe me, there are enough of those to spare. But, things are looking up a bit. If you snore, be sure to talk about this with your PCP.
                              Wendy
                              "There are signs everywhere...."
                              "Life is wasted if it's not lived as an adventure."

Comment

THANK YOU FOR THIS THREAD!

This pretty much describes my disfunction lately. I think I might shave quarterly, when I have the energy to run a bath, go through the "de-foresting" and then wipe down the aftermath from the tub.

I have naturally curly hair so, I wash it on a Sunday, wear it down if possible Mon, up on the sides tues maybe wed too then, thurs and fri its pony or buns. I also hate the blowdryer and since my hair is long and thin, I maybe wash it 2x a week.

Make up?! I usually take enough time to smear what I call "bondo" (cover up) over the dark circles under my eyes and often remember to brush my teeth.

Clothes for work, well, when I wake up in the morning part of talking myself into actually getting out of bed is laying there looking at my closet and deciding what is clean and what will take the least amount of effort. I think I manage something along the lines of "put together" once a week.

I am single and have ZERO energy into making myself attractive or feminine. Add to that I have less desire to go to the sort of haunts one finds a single man and even less energy to do the dating dance....I almost never bother with brows, nails, etc.

I think about all these things, I am always telling myself this week is the week I am going to MAKE myself get up and iron something cute to wear to work, still, I feel like even one day a week is an accomplishment.

Comment

Working...
                                X