Cognitive Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cognitive Testing

I did a search on here and did not find what I was looking for.

Sometimes I get the impression that I'm not "firing on all cylinders". I would like some type of test.

My question is: What is cognitive testing like, who does it, what does the test consist of, what are the results and what are they measured against?

I'm wondering, if I never had a cognitive test, would I need two to determine cognitive problems?

My biggest problem right now is short term memory. I mean it is essentially gone in the morning (more than aging).
    Don't be afraid of the waves- Focus on the MASTER walking on the water - you won't even SEE the waves

neuropsych testing

It is usually called neuropsychological testing and is completed by a neuropsychologist.
    You meet with them and they determine which tests they want you to take. You come and take the tests. Week or so later you return and receive your results.

I just recently had about 4hrs of testing.

One of the tests is repeating the list of words you were just read. then they do something else for a few and ask for them again...and again....they think my memory is fine...i was able to tell the story back to the tester...more of a problem focusing...affected by stress....have some deficets with spatial issues.
    Should have no problem with a data entry job...that would be great if that was what i did

Comment

Who initiated your test and what did they use to justify it?

I'm forgetting standard items, like code numbers I've used for 3-4 years. Later the same day, I will remember again...very strange.
      Don't be afraid of the waves- Focus on the MASTER walking on the water - you won't even SEE the waves

Comment

My neurologist initiated my testing based on conversations we had and complaints I had about problems. The tesis are graded against expected levels of performance for the kind of person being tested: child, educated adult etc. The first set of tests you have gives you a baseline, Follow-up tests can indicate progression of problems.
        Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

Comment

Neuropsych testing

Just before I was dx'd I was having trouble with short term memory. It was agreed that I resign as I had a lot of memory problems. I was a psych RN in an ER so I too was not firing on all cylinders.

After I left the hosp. I thought there might be some other type of job that I could do with half a brain. So I went to the Vocational Rehab center for evaluation and guidance. The first thing I they did was sent me for neuropsych testing. It was grueling and the results for me were depressing.

They told me my cognative abilities had gone from a potential of 89% to a present 30%. They advised me to consider retiring. Shortly after that I was dx'd with MS.

Since then I have found other loves. I had been doing volunteer medical work in Central and South America for twenty years. There was a lot of grieving (and still is ) at the loss of that.

But now I do volunteer work with my large population of homeless and low income. Now I feel that I am back to my cognative peak (or spirit ). I am still seeking things that don't require a whole brain. I am painting. Sometimes you just have to see new passions.

Just another avenue to get the N.P. testing.
          Good luck and my heart is with you.
          Limited Memory Dave
          J. Tampa, Florida

Comment

Originally posted by journeyman View Post
            Just before I was dx'd I was having trouble with short term memory. It was agreed that I resign as I had a lot of memory problems. I was a psych RN in an ER so I too was not firing on all cylinders.

After I left the hosp. I thought there might be some other type of job that I could do with half a brain. So I went to the Vocational Rehab center for evaluation and guidance. The first thing I they did was sent me for neuropsych testing. It was grueling and the results for me were depressing.

They told me my cognitive abilities had gone from a potential of 89% to a present 30%. They advised me to consider retiring. Shortly after that I was dx'd with MS.

Since then I have found other loves. I had been doing volunteer medical work in Central and South America for twenty years. There was a lot of grieving (and still is ) at the loss of that.

But now I do volunteer work with my large population of homeless and low income. Now I feel that I am back to my cognitive peak (or spirit ). I am still seeking things that don't require a whole brain. I am painting. Sometimes you just have to see new passions.

Just another avenue to get the N.P. testing.
            Good luck and my heart is with you.
            Limited Memory Dave
            J. Tampa, Florida
            Dave,
            Thanks so much for your post. My current job is demanding. At times I am the "expert" giving the answers to VIP's and/or presentations to groups. When I am stumbling for words and/or get disconnected when trying to convey an idea, it is a bit disturbing. I try to craft it into a dramatic pause, but it has created some anxiety for me.

Comment

Yes, Yes, I mean no

I have memory problems too. I call it the Charley Gordon effect. It seems like I can watch my IQ drop as we talk. No, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, not that I was smart at the beginning of this thing. Noises, lights, and thinking give me headaches. Did I mention that I'm a Special Education teacher and have meetings with parents discussing their children's disability? Visual, auditory processing, and many more. Nutrition is over, have to go back to class.

Comment

Originally posted by Twenty Miles View Post
                I did a search on here and did not find what I was looking for.

Sometimes I get the impression that I'm not "firing on all cylinders". I would like some type of test.

My question is: What is cognitive testing like, who does it, what does the test consist of, what are the results and what are they measured against?

I'm wondering, if I never had a cognitive test, would I need two to determine cognitive problems?

My biggest problem right now is short term memory. I mean it is essentially gone in the morning (more than aging).
                I just had it done. Neuropychological testing. It was long, hard and tiring. It made me feel stupid. I realize I compensate for a pretty bad short term memory.
                Sasha - dx January 2011; tysarbi, zanaflex, gabapentin, and baclofen
                ~Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.~

Comment

Originally posted by Deer In Headlights View Post
                  I have memory problems too. I call it the Charley Gordon effect. It seems like I can watch my IQ drop as we talk. No, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, not that I was smart at the beginning of this thing. Noises, lights, and thinking give me headaches. Did I mention that I'm a Special Education teacher and have meetings with parents discussing their children's disability? Visual, auditory processing, and many more. Nutrition is over, have to go back to class.
                  One of my clients is Special School District of St. Louis. I had a recent meeting with their administration and must say my brain was at full capacity that night.

Comment

WOW! While it was nice to see that I am not alone in this, it is terrible that MS takes away your ability to think.
                    I find that some days I am fine and can think and communicate as I always have. Other days I have trouble remembering things and I lose words. Sometimes I will stop dead in the middle of a sentence and just stare at the person I was talking to. I just completely forget what it was I was talking about. It's frustrating to say the least. I also have a hard time remembering people's names and will often call people by the wrong name.
                    Maybe I should look into cognitive testing, it sounds like something all people with MS should do.
                    Jessi
                    Diagnosed 11/16/2010

Comment

TWENTY MILES

I learned the "dramatic pause" in college. Long before it became essential for me. I do some narration, dramatic readings, and monolog drama. People always tell me how "great" I am. Little do they know that the pause is really a failure of my system. Great job. I always garners attention and focus on you. It seems the least of times you would want that and its hard for some people to do.

It sounds like you have mastered it. I know your work must be demanding but you must be doing a great job at what you do.
                      Dave
                      J,

Comment

Cognitive Testing

I had cognitive testing done a couple of years ago. The first one is really kind of a base line so if you need to do it again you can compare. I assumed I would fail it miserably based on how I felt I was handling things, but I did pretty well (probably my competitive nature). The only really interesting thing was a comment about possible ADD, which I suppose makes sense. It was just a weird 3 or 4 hours of strange questions and tests. I am thinking that just one test won't help you figure out what's wrong with you, but it will give you an idea at what level you are functioning.

Comment

I had an appt. to have the testing done a few yrs ago. the nurse/receptionist called to ask a few questions and confirm the appt. She then said something about "wow, you're pretty young to need this kind of test."

That promptely freaked me out as I thought, well know, that ms cognitive issues could happen at any age. I concluded that they had the impression or my dr or whoever and were testing me for alzheimer's. I was probably way off base but I cancelled and then when I brought it up again my neuro said he wanted to do an EKG first.

He then said the ekg showed something but that I didn't need meds. I let it go with that and haven't approached the subject again.
                          What if trials of this life
                          Are Your mercies in disguise?
                          "Blessings; Laura Story"

Comment

I requested a neuropsyche test because i wanted to know how much ms has effected me?

to tell you the truth, i believe i have training/ education behind me for researching and trouble shooting..chemical egeineering. so that makes me above average for cognotive skills, and i have learned to take notes--lots of notes--long before i knew i had ms. i had troubleshoot my a poorer memory than i liked. so i already had as systom in place for taking notes--justified by freeing up my brain to occupy it with more complex subjects than memory-=-that i could take notes on. to replace memory.to replace so i could think.i believe i am no where near wher my collegues with similar training are?

i did ask the doc for her to write an order for a neuropsyche exam, even tough my insurance wouldn't cover it. i said i would pat for it out of my savings she just said no. i was already approved for ssdi for reasons other than cognitive, so ther really did not seem to be a reason for it...i guess i am glad i still have the $ in savings.

i did find an online cognition test that test verbal memory and executive function and gives age appropriate results, google, above average, below average, poor and such. i took this test as i was going into a relapse and watched it improve the longer i was on tysabri...you might want to check it out and plan to monitor yourself with it?

http://www.neurology.ufl.edu/memory/cognitivetest.shtml
                            xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Question regarding "cognitive exacerbation"

I can't figure out how to use the message bds. to ask my question, so I'll just ask it here. I've had RRMS for about 22 years now. I've gone from almost no symptoms to being in a wheelchair. I'm in remission now but I have residual symptoms (fatigue, tingling in my extremities, numbness off and on)...I want to know if its possible to have a "cognitive" exacerbation. I am under a LOT of stress in my life right now and I am forgetting everything. I'm even forgetting whether I did a task (i.e.: signed-up for a new email address; I forgot that I even did it, let alone my user name and password). My husband is afraid to let me drive; I sideswiped my car into a wall the other day. I'm just wondering. Physically, I'm the same but it's like I have early on-set dementia. Any ideas? Thanks, this is scaring the u-no-what out of me.

Comment

Working...
                              X