Suffering From Claw Hand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suffering From Claw Hand

I started this thread a few days ago asking for suggestions on how to relieve pain in my hand and get it back to normal

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=118337

I was directed to post in the OT section so here I am. I live in the Hudson Valley and would like to start some sort of OT program, but don't know where to start looking.

I have a neurologist appointment on Monday and will hopefully have some more information in regards to if I will be starting spasticity medicines or not.

Are there any reasons not to start a Spasticity medication -- IE unwanted side effects?
    Should I try OT first then consider meds or should they be done in conjunction?

I'm glad you were redirected here!

Antispasticity medications can help significantly, I personally have benefited from them. The only side effect I have had is drowsiness. There are several medications and there is the opportunity to take them when the drowsiness won't affect anything i.e. night time. At this point, the drowsiness isn't an issue during the day. Dosage can be modified throughout the day. Your doctor will go over them and potential side effects.

There are other measures that can be useful.
    Daily stretching and range of motion is a must! Take each finger separately, whole hand , and wrist and gently stretch up and down, side by side. You may want to put your hand in warm water to make it easier. Apply moist heat helps with spasticity.
    When working on the hand, start with one finger at a time. Stretching is important for the entire body as well.

Range of motion means that you will move each joint gently to the point it's meant to go. Do not try to push to make something straighten or bend if you feel a lot of resistance.

Massaging each finger and the hand helps loosen areas and facilitate blood flow that may be obstructed.

OT would be strongly recommended. They would work on range of motion, stretching, strengthening, coordination, positioning of all areas. Assessment will also be made to see how and if any deficits are impacting areas of daily living and self care.

I hope this helps. Please keep me posted.
    Be Well,
    Susan

Comment

Thank you Susan. You have given me a lot of useful information to discuss with my doctor this coming Monday and will be sure to keep you updated on how things progress.

Comment

Glad to be of help.

Let me know how the doctor visit goes as well as keeping me informed with everything, if there is anything else I can do for you.

Best Regards
        Be Well,
        Susan

Comment

hand / wrist orthotic

Wear a brace on night on my claw hand and it has helped tremendously.........got it through seeing an OT!!

Comment

Originally posted by dann View Post
            Wear a brace on night on my claw hand and it has helped tremendously.........got it through seeing an OT!!

i wear one too now and do the exercises, both help a lot.
            "Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"

Comment

Glad to hear that. They can make a difference.
              Be Well,
              Susan

Comment

So here is my update guys:

Went to my neurologist on 02-20-12 and was given a second round of steroids (10days of Dextramethasone)

Started seeing a PT/OT (Insurance nonsense) on 02-24-12

The hand has definitely improved and can only get better at this point. I was given some gack to massage around in my hand the out the day and a brace to try out while I'm at the keyboard.

Going to ask about the overnight brace during my next appointment.

Comment

I'm glad to hear there is some improvement. Stay motivated, patient and do your therapy homework!
                  Be careful not to overuse/over exercise the hand so you don't have to deal with muscle fatigue

Thanks for the update
                  Be Well,
                  Susan

Comment

Working...
                  X