MS Nut? Iran to release treatment against MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS Nut? Iran to release treatment against MS

MOD..if this is the wrong forum, please move. The tmt is called MS Nut for nutrition...so, I figured it belonged here..idk though. thanks for any edits or moving. fed

Someone sent me this information, today (as he is researching, what to do for his wife) and I felt it garners some discussion on this board. this is the article...
    Azerbaijan, Baku, May 13 /Trend S.Isayev, T. Jafarov/

Iran to release treatment against multiple sclerosis on markets in October
    A new treatment against MS (Multiple Sclerosis) will be released on Iranian markets in October of this year, Fars news agency reported.

Deputy chairman of the Iran Multiple Sclerosis Society, Mohammad Ali Saraian said that this particular treatment method is done orally.

He also mentioned that the treatment has been developed by Iranian doctors, adding that the method is currently being tested on real patients, before being released to the local open markets.

In January 2013, Iranian television reported that scholars from the Tabriz Medical Research University have prepared an herbal substance which can completely cure multiple sclerosis.

The medicament is called "MS Nut" (Nutrition) and made of special oil plants. It is delivered in syrup form.

The scholars have been working to prepare the treatment for two and a half years. The medicament was tested on 100 multiple sclerosis patients. 65 of them completed the treatment. Most patients fully recovered, but those with more advanced forms of the disease were unable to.

According to the information, the period of treatment with "MS Nut" lasts from six months to a year. The treatment has been already licensed in Iran.

According to Iranian media, the number of multiple sclerosis patients has increased in Iran in recent years. Environmental factors are behind the wide spread nature of the disease.

At present, there are 50,000 multiple sclerosis patients in Iran.

If multiple sclerosis continues to spread so rapidly, in ten years every Iranian family will have one member with multiple sclerosis, the information said.

Multiple sclerosis is a chronic disease in which membranes around the brain, spinal cord and nervous system are affected.

Multiple sclerosis is characterized by the simultaneous destruction of various parts of the nervous system, which leads to the appearance of neurological symptoms.

**URL removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld Guidelines. This may be put in your Profile for all registered, logged-in members to see. Go to UserCP > Edit Details**
    Last edited by hunterd; 02-14-2015, 04:05 PM.

I just read an article this very morning, in the May issue of the Smithsonian, about the rapid increase of cases of ms in Iran. The article did not mention any treatment.

Honestly, honestly, I'm not surprised they came upon an herbal substance in their research and treatment. Has U.S. markets researched herbal meds? I don't know.

I will read the link you supplied, but later as it is feeding time and the natives are restless.

Glad you brought this up.

Comment

It would be so great if this were true but there isn't enough in the story to prove the hype. The person who wrote the story didn't even get the description of MS right. There's just way too much wrong with the story for it to be believable.

Comment

I agree with MSers observations. Like everything else pertaining to MS, I will take a 'wait and see' position.

Comment

Iran does a lot of research in MS. I've heard that after the revolution when people were obliged to cover up more, vitamin D levels dropped and MS increased.

Iran makes a form of Interferon B1a called CinnoVex, which is legitimate. However, the word cure is a tip off that this particular piece of information should be taken with a lot of caution.

Comment

Herbal cures will never be researched. Why? They are cheap and the pharmas will not be able to make billions on it.
            Same goes for true research into a nutritional fix and any "cure".
            They will not cure MS or any other chronic disease as that would wipe out their customer base.
            Take coke and pepsi and their new entries into the health food and breakfast arenas, companies main concern is making more money.
            1995-symptoms with no cause
            2000-diagnosed with Probable MS.
            2000/1-started Avonex
            2002-Rebif b/c increasing brain plaques
            Nov-13-Tecfidera b/c needle fatigue&sympt

Comment

Thank you Fed Up for the link! Recent research published April 2013 suggests that the Iranians may be onto something with a nutritional approach to treating MS.

Journalists often exceed reality when they sensationalize about a “cure” for MS. That is the nature of journalism, dramatize to get eyes. Researchers are not given to the same hyperbole. It would be foolish to discount research because incompetent reporters like to juice up stories about research to get readers.

Nosrepmodnar made an excellent point. Possibly, there will be little more than small token studies done in the US in these areas. The pharmaceutical industry and disease societies in the US appear uninterested in funding large-scale research in this area.

Don't be too quick to dismiss research taking place in other countries. Behind the goofy journalism may be an actual story worth knowing.

I will reference parts of the April 2013 published NIH study involving nutraceutical formulas and MS. And preference it with a quote which provides support for Iranian findings:

“Dr. Pantzaris and colleagues have recently performed a study on a dietary intervention consisting of omga-3, omega-6 and vitamin A and -E in various formulations in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis (RR-MS). The authors suggested that a special combination of omega-3, omega-6 and fat soluble vitamins could have profound effects on magnetic resonance (MR) disease activity and disease progression.”

A novel oral nutraceutical formula of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids with vitamins (PLP10) in relapsing remitting multiple sclerosis: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled proof-of-concept clinical trial.
              http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23599375

OBJECTIVE:

To assess whether three novel interventions, formulated based on a systems medicine therapeutic concept, reduced disease activity in patients with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis (MS) who were either treated or not with disease-modifying treatment.

DESIGN:

A 30-month randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel design, phase II proof-of-concept clinical study.

INTERVENTIONS:

The first intervention (A) was composed of Ω-3 and Ω-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids at 1:1 wt/wt. Specifically, the Ω-3 fatty acids were docosahexaenoic acid and eicosapentaenoic acid at 3:1 wt/wt, and the Ω-6 fatty acids were linoleic acid and γ-linolenic acid at 2:1 wt/wt. This intervention also included minor quantities of other specific polyunsaturated, monounsaturated and saturated fatty acids as well as vitamin A and vitamin E (α-tocopherol). The second intervention (B, PLP10) was a combination of A and γ-tocopherol. The third intervention (C) was γ-tocopherol alone. The fourth group of 20 participants received placebo. The interventions were administered per os (by mouth) once daily, 30 min before dinner for 30 months.

MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES:

The primary end point was the annualised relapse rate (ARR) of the three interventions versus the placebo at 2 years. The secondary end point was the time to confirmed disability progression at 2 years.

CONCLUSIONS:

"In this small proof-of-concept, randomised, double-blind clinical trial; the PLP10 treatment significantly reduced the ARR and the risk of sustained disability progression without any reported serious adverse events. Larger studies are needed to further assess the safety and efficacy of PLP10."

Iran reported similar conclusions. Obviously, larger trials are needed but unlikely to occur in the US according to the point nosrepmodnar made.

Maybe in a couple of years we will see data from Iran which will confirm or discount this approach in a large population of MS.

Comment

Thank You Myoak; I've been reading about Omegas and the research put into that over the past 2 years. It might be psychological but, when I take a tablespoon of organic shelled hemp seeds (from Costco), i simply feel better. IDK why, just do. Maybe, this study has some real salt to it.

In the meantime, I'll keep taking my Omegas, herbs(expresso) and vitamins and hope to not get worse! Heck with the studies, I am searching and desperate to feel better, daily.

On days I can whip the fatigue and pain...I do things that are so rewarding. I stare at my clean floors--cleaned to my satisfaction and know there has to be something to help all of us, have more productive lives with enjoyment! fed

Comment

I take 3 fish oil concentrate pills which gives me 1g of omega-3. I want to increase to 3g but cannot afford to take down another 6 pills each day.
                  I will attest that there is a big difference in EPA, DHA and ALA.
                  I switched to flaxoil pills because they offer more omega 3, after 2 or 3 weeks my legs acted up and I felt bad.
                  I researched into omega 3s and found that the epa and dha in fish oils is because the fish has digested the plant with the ala and transformed it for you.
                  The process of converting ala is an inflammatory process so it has the counter effect that I was trying to achieve with the supplements.
                  I moved back to fish oil and in a few weeks the leg twitching subsided at night, has not gone away but it is much less and I can actually get to sleep now.
                  My general practitioner mentioned a pharma omega3 pill but your triglycerides have to be over 400 for them to prescribe it.
                  I pleaded with him since I was in the hospital for a week about 6 years ago with pancreatitis and a count over 2000.
                  I am going to bring the articles to my neuro and see if I can get his to prescribe me as an alternate use.
                  Also going to talk about switching to Tecfidera as my stomach is so calloused that the meds squirt out after i pull the needle.
                  1995-symptoms with no cause
                  2000-diagnosed with Probable MS.
                  2000/1-started Avonex
                  2002-Rebif b/c increasing brain plaques
                  Nov-13-Tecfidera b/c needle fatigue&sympt

Comment

Originally posted by Fed Up View Post
                    Thank You Myoak; I've been reading about Omegas and the research put into that over the past 2 years. It might be psychological but, when I take a tablespoon of organic shelled hemp seeds (from Costco), i simply feel better. IDK why, just do. Maybe, this study has some real salt to it.

In the meantime, I'll keep taking my Omegas, herbs(expresso) and vitamins and hope to not get worse! Heck with the studies, I am searching and desperate to feel better, daily.

On days I can whip the fatigue and pain...I do things that are so rewarding. I stare at my clean floors--cleaned to my satisfaction and know there has to be something to help all of us, have more productive lives with enjoyment! fed

I do not normally take supplements or know much about them. I was informed about the benefits of hemp oil on MS patients several months ago. I tried talking with both my neurologist and regular doctor, but they weren't able to give me any helpful information. I researched as much as I could online and found that it was supposed to be helpful in providing you with extra energy and helping to control spasticity, among several other benefits. I decided to give it a shot knowing from what I read that I shouldn't expect any change until after a month of taking it.

After three weeks, I noticed that I was able to work longer hours without having that feeling I would need to go to bed at 7pm. I had previously struggled working any longer than 6.5 hours a day and was finding myself working up to 7 hours and 45 minutes without losing too much energy. It was recommended that you spray the oil on your food (two squirts) twice a day. You really don't taste the oil so I usually spray as much as 6 squirts on my food because you can't overdo it.

I also used to take 4 20mg pills of Baclofen each day. I tried backing those down to 3 each day and haven't noticied a difference. I can't say that everyone will have as good of an experience with this, but I am truly greatful that someone was concerned enough about me to suggest it in the first place. I love it!

Comment

Originally posted by Fed Up View Post
                      Someone sent me this information, today (as he is researching, what to do for his wife) and I felt it garners some discussion on this board.

this is the article...
                      Azerbaijan, Baku, May 13 /Trend S.Isayev, T. Jafarov/

Iran to release treatment against multiple sclerosis on markets in October
                      A new treatment against MS (Multiple Sclerosis) will be released on Iranian markets in October of this year, Fars news agency reported.

Deputy chairman of the Iran Multiple Sclerosis Society, Mohammad Ali Saraian said that this particular treatment method is done orally.

He also mentioned that the treatment has been developed by Iranian doctors, adding that the method is currently being tested on real patients, before being released to the local open markets.

In January 2013, Iranian television reported that scholars from the Tabriz Medical Research University have prepared an herbal substance which can completely cure multiple sclerosis.

The medicament is called "MS Nut" (Nutrition) and made of special oil plants. It is delivered in syrup form.

The scholars have been working to prepare the treatment for two and a half years. The medicament was tested on 100 multiple sclerosis patients. 65 of them completed the treatment. Most patients fully recovered, but those with more advanced forms of the disease were unable to.

According to the information, the period of treatment with "MS Nut" lasts from six months to a year. The treatment has been already licensed in Iran.

According to Iranian media, the number of multiple sclerosis patients has increased in Iran in recent years. Environmental factors are behind the wide spread nature of the disease.

At present, there are 50,000 multiple sclerosis patients in Iran.

If multiple sclerosis continues to spread so rapidly, in ten years every Iranian family will have one member with multiple sclerosis, the information said.

Multiple sclerosis is a chronic disease in which membranes around the brain, spinal cord and nervous system are affected.

Multiple sclerosis is characterized by the simultaneous destruction of various parts of the nervous system, which leads to the appearance of neurological symptoms.

Here's an update (Nov 2013) to this older post to dispell the information - the latest news on the "MS Nut" -

Baku, Azerbaijan, Nov. 23

By Saeed Isayev, Umid Niayesh - Trend: MS Nut (Nutrition) is not a go-to drug for treating multiple sclerosis, head of MS research center of Tehran medical science university, Mohammad Ali Sahraian told Trend.

"The test period for this drug was too short to produce any results. The drug is not even registered in Iranian Ministry of Health and Medical Education as an anti-MS drug," he explained.

Read more - http://en.trend.az/iran/2214734.html
                      Last edited by Kimba22; 02-15-2015, 02:37 AM.
                      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Working...
                      X