Wheelchair cushion recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheelchair cushion recommendations?

After 6 months, I am finally getting a replacement for the wheelchair destroyed in our car accident. It will be delivered in 7-10 days. In the mean time, I'm window shopping for replacements for the goodies I had added to my original chair. Stuff like a cup holder, seat cushion,etc.

The seat cushion I had was strictly for comfort. I'm still able to fidget and transfer out of the chair enough that pressure sores aren't a real concern atm. That cushion was foam, better than the bare seat, but by the end of the day, I found myself fairly uncomfortable. I've been thinking of this one:
    http://www.spinlife.com/Drive-Medica...=92699#reviews

The reviews look good except for the slippery cover, but we can sew one with straps or whatever, so I'm not overly concerned with that.

Does anyone have experience with this one? Or any reviews for one you do have experience with...good or bad? As I said, it's just for a comfy butt , so it doesn't have to be uber-thick or anything fancy, just have an "ahhhhh!" factor.

If you think the chair is a factor in cushion selection, this is the one I'm getting, in Stealth Black :
    http://www.spinlife.com/Invacare-Top...1#.T7MSPMXVVFp

Thanks!

I have a Jay cushion. It is gel filled, and it is comfortable enough to sit in from 7 AM to 7 PM without any problems. I have never had(knock on wood) any pressure sores. I actually have two of these cushions, one for my manual chair and one for my electric chair. I hope this helps you some. Good luck.
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Hunter...

Where did you get your Jay cushion. The one that came with my new chair ain't gonna cut it.

Comment

Originally posted by hunterd View Post
        I have a Jay cushion. It is gel filled, and it is comfortable enough to sit in from 7 AM to 7 PM without any problems. I have never had(knock on wood) any pressure sores. I actually have two of these cushions, one for my manual chair and one for my electric chair. I hope this helps you some. Good luck.
        Thanks! I went ahead and ordered the one I mentioned. I'll keep the Jay in mind if this one doesn't work out. I'll also leave a review for the one I ordered once I've had a chance to try it. My chair and the cushion are due to arrive next week or so.

Comment

Maxx, I got my cushion from the same place that I got my wheelchair. But I believe any place that is set up to get durable medical supplies can order it for you.
          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
          volunteer
          MS World
          hunterd@msworld.org
          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

The last Rehab hospital I was in gave me a very thick foam cushion, I use that w/ another smaller one w/ a cut out in the back,as I fell on my "tail bone" & cracked it & never healed right.I can sit on this for several hrs.
            Keep us posted God Bless Nona Judy

Comment

I have an update. Both my cushion and chair are here. The cushion is squishier than my last. It doesn't just flatten when you sit on it. The gel portion does give it more firmness, which I like. I do like the cushion, but have little to compare it to, so there may be better.

I love the chair, though. It's lighter and move maneuverable than my last, with many more possible adjustments. A big plus is the quick release axles. If you take off the wheels, the chair fits right on the backseat of the car as if it was a passenger. The frame weighs about 13-14 lbs, so it's easy for most folks to lift.

Here's the chair:
              http://www.spinlife.com/Invacare-Top...1#.T8miqsWwXiE

Comment

Originally posted by Maxx1938 View Post
                Where did you get your Jay cushion. The one that came with my new chair ain't gonna cut it.
                Hey Maxx! Long time no talk too... You and your wife were so helpful with information about Texas when we were trying to move. We still are not there. We went to visit and meet with a realtor and my Husbands Dad had a stroke so that kinda sent us in a tail spin. But again we are on the look out. How have you been?

Blessings, Poohkers
                Poohkers Diagnosed 9/99, Copaxone for over 10 years! Trust not on your own understandings, but believe in his LOVE for you!

Comment

I have the J2 and I hate that the gel splits apart so everytime you transfer you need to spress the gel back to the center. In talking to Sunrise Med, the mfgr of the cushion, they recommend the J3 because the gel stays under the butt area. Haven't purchased it yet because I'm getting a new chair.

Good luck with whatever you buy.

Comment

Working...
                  X