Low to floor stool w/wheels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low to floor stool w/wheels?

Hello all - I am going to ask if anyone knows of anything like this but I realize it may not exist.

I would really be helped with a scooter type of thing for scooting my butt along the floor. I have a lot of chores to do that I would normally do on my hands and knees if it weren't so hard to for me to get up due to balance issues. You know those crawler things mechanics use to slide under a car? Low like that, but sturdier. I had one of those things and I wore it out.

I've looked for really low stools with wheels but haven't found any, and they're not really low enough because I have to scrub the floor or clean something on the floor and I do it a lot.

Maybe this doesn't exist but maybe someone else is using something like this. Thanks!
    ---------------
    "It's never crowded along the extra mile." --Dr. Wayne Dyer

Originally posted by RockysMom View Post
    You know those crawler things mechanics use to slide under a car? Low like that, but sturdier. I had one of those things and I wore it out.
    You had the right idea already. Just buy a better commercial grade one.
    The quality of tools is as broad as the quality of clothes.
    A pair of socks that cost one dollar do not hold up like the five dollar pair?

Just shop for a better creeper.
    You may be able to find a real good one used at a pawn shop or Good Will store? New a well made creeper will cost more than $100.00, (but it will outlast four $25.00 creepers)

If you want a new one try any commercial tool vender.

Comment

Thanks tommylee!
      ---------------

Comment

Not quite sure how big you need it, but they use these kinds of scooters with kids sometimes- eg if they have their hips in plaster etc. they are pretty tough but obviously not a high weight capacity

the other thing that comes to mind is having some one make one for you!! I know i went to a local company that makes tubular steel/powder coated products and got them to make a little trolley/mobile that had a small platform on one side as i am a knee level amputee and can't wear a prosthesis but the amputated leg is my strong on- it was only a slight variation of one of their usual trolley mobiles and it was not costly

don't know if you have something similar, but here we have a group of retired engineers who volunteer there time and expertiese to design and manufacture one off pieces of equipment for disabled- you may be able fin something similar

Comment

A good mechanic's creeper will have a steel frame, wood just won't last long.
          Bill
          Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Lowe's or Home Depot had at one time a 5 castered round bucket roller used for moving buckets of sheetrock mud that was about the size of most peoples personal one. I used it a lot for that purpose as it sits up a little higher than a creeper (maybe 3" total). I had to put a round piece of plywood over mine as the divit in the thing to hold the bucket didn't fit what I was trying to put in it. I hooked a piece of string to it to roll it instead of carrying it.

Seems like they have something similar in the flower section part of Home Depot a swell.

Comment

I use the seat part of a secretary chair, has five wheels and moves very easy. Unfortunately it is too high for your purpose, but it does go up and down with the pneumatic riser.
              Bill
              Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

GARDEN STORES

TRY THE GARDEN SHOPS THERE'S ONE I THINK, BY RUBBER MAID THEY ARE FOR SITING ON WHILE WORKING IN THE GARDEN AND EVEN HAVE A LITTLE STORAGE UNIT UNDER THE SEAT.

OH!! I FOUND ONE @ SEARS FOR $30.
                http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...u=07187690000P

OR, JUST GOOGLE "GARDEN HOPPER" SEARS.
                Faith, Hope & Love
                Gina
                MS 1988 SPMS 2005

Comment

Sears

I am a working mechanic and use a Craftsman creeper seat at work when needed. They have a couple options, I have the top model which was about $70 if I remember correctly.

Comment

The bucket roller sounds like it may be the best thing. Low to the floor and rolls fairly easy.
                    Bill

Comment

This is exactly what I needed and cheap too! Thanks so much!

I wish I'd seen this earlier, this is just what I need for around the house!!! Awesome! and it's cheap! ordering one pronto! thank you thank you!

Originally posted by MSGina View Post
                      TRY THE GARDEN SHOPS THERE'S ONE I THINK, BY RUBBER MAID THEY ARE FOR SITING ON WHILE WORKING IN THE GARDEN AND EVEN HAVE A LITTLE STORAGE UNIT UNDER THE SEAT.

OH!! I FOUND ONE @ SEARS FOR $30.
                      http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...u=07187690000P

OR, JUST GOOGLE "GARDEN HOPPER" SEARS.
                      ---------------

Comment

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS. i JUST PLACED AN ORDER FOR ONE FROM AMAZON FOR USE INSIDE THE HOUSE.

Comment

Scooter

Have tyou checked out a scooter that kids use in gym? Go to Flaghouse and look for the Fast Track Scooter.

BJ

Comment

Progression & floor scooters, bad shopping experience

Well I did order the garden cart from Sears along with 3 other things and the card was the only one that didn't come. Then ensued a nightmare dealing with that company refunding me, recharging me, claiming I received it, then claiming to have reshipped it and I will never deal with them again. Highly do not recommend them.

Did end up ordering 3 adjustable pneumatic massage therapist stools which go from 17" - about 23" high but haven't received them yet, and ordered a couple of utility carts to help me push stuff around on as I do my chores.

And alas, my MS suddenly progressed two weeks ago to where I cannot get around without a cane or walker, and not for very long with either, so now I have 2 canes, 1 walker & 1 rollator which doesn't fit in the tight spaces of my house.

And I just ordered a mobility scooter, it's gotten that bad. I ordered the Shoprider Scootie 4 wheel which is only 17" wide and should navigate around here well without too much adjustment. Now I just have to try and hang in there until they get here, that and the stools, and carts. I can't believe how quickly I've gone downhill. And I have decided to stop taking my Copaxone because I believe that I was having a bad reaction to that which was exacerbating things. Sure enough, since I stopped, several symptoms have gone away. I don't think I had R/R anyway but SPP, and honestly, I've always wondered if I've been misdiagnosed as my dad and uncle have a similar disease and my uncle was dx:ed with 'nonspecific neuropathy' not MS by the faculty of the med school of the college where he is prof. emeritus.

Mostly I have thigh weakness and simply can't stand for more than a few minutes. My neuro upped my Adderal dose and it helps a little. I have been doing fairly well for 11 years with mainly balance and fatigue issues, now I am doing very poorly in just two weeks, I have gone from almost normal to pretty disabled and am getting a disabled car tag!

I hope my new Scootie cheers me up a bit. Have had a lot of stress in the last two years and no longer have health insurance, husband was laid off in November...and is training for a new job which he will be gone all week!!! OMG!
                            ---------------

Comment

Working...
                            X