Neurontin for numbness, does it help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neurontin for numbness, does it help?

To anyone who have not read any of my post, I was dx july 7 and will see neuro again on aug 12 for treatment options.

I am having numbness and tingling in both hands and feet and weakness on my left side.

My dr want me to take. Neurotin till my next appt to see if it helps. I took it several years ago for headaches and it did not really help. I am wondering if it will help with my new problem.

Has anyone else taken it or currently taking it for numbness and weakness and does it seem to help? Also could you tell me any side effects it caused you.

I will give it a try but I am interested in if it helps them or not. I also have a lot of trouble sleeping and they said it should help that problem also.
    "Therefore we do not give up, but even if the man we are outside is wasting away, certainly the man we are inside is being renewed from day to day." 2 Cor. 4:16

I started it two weeks ago and it has been a miracle drug for me. I was suffering from almost constant electrical pain, numbness and was hardly walking. For the past three days, I have felt almost "normal" again!

I have also had major sleep issues and it's helping that area "some" too, I'd say I get up and "nightprowl" about every third night now.

Good Luck,
    Tammy

Comment

yeah

It has helped my with spells / shocks I was having in legs and it helps with sleeping, too. That was an added benefit. Only take small dose as I am extremely sesitive to meds....... Hope you are helped by it. Let us know.

Comment

I am glad that it is working so well for you sprinkles. I start it tonight. They told me to take one at night for 2 days then 2 a day for 2 days then 3 times a day. I hope it works my legs, especially my left is getting really bad.
        "Therefore we do not give up, but even if the man we are outside is wasting away, certainly the man we are inside is being renewed from day to day." 2 Cor. 4:16

Comment

Neurontin to Lyrica

I took neurontin for years (diagnosed in '99) for the same reason. Unfortunately my pain worsened and when I reached the max level of Neurontin, my neuro switched me to Lyrica. Fortunately I take less medication with the Lyrica and it works better for me than Neurontin.
          My Cross To Bear Keeps Fallin Off

Comment

Just wondering how you are doing wifey? Yes, they also told me that I could up my dose, I played with taking more at first, but don't like it during the day. For right now, I am sticking with just one at night. Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Tammy

Comment

Originally posted by earnellzwifey View Post
              To anyone who have not read any of my post, I was dx july 7 and will see neuro again on aug 12 for treatment options.

I am having numbness and tingling in both hands and feet and weakness on my left side.

My dr want me to take. Neurotin till my next appt to see if it helps. I took it several years ago for headaches and it did not really help. I am wondering if it will help with my new problem.

Has anyone else taken it or currently taking it for numbness and weakness and does it seem to help? Also could you tell me any side effects it caused you.

I will give it a try but I am interested in if it helps them or not. I also have a lot of trouble sleeping and they said it should help that problem also.
              I have been taking neurontin since June for numbness and tingling in left hand( mostly fingers) and left side of lips and so far no change.

Comment

This is a helpful post and like hearing others experiences!

My doctors would also like me to take Neurotin and thus far I have resisted. (I recently was on Trileptal for several years, before the MS dx, for mood issues...and now completely off that drug.)

It sounds like it works well for some people and maybe not so much for others.

My issue is leg pain and tingling/burning feeling. Some pain probably from spasticity as well as weird feeling from time to time in my torso and jaw.

Since I am med sensitive, my docs suggested starting with 100 mg at bedtime. Still thinking about it though.....

Comment

I am not surprised it did not work for headaches since it is not a pain killer. It does work fantastically for me for electrical shock pain, there is none now. It is an anti seizure medication, slows down nerve impulses.
                  Bill
                  Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Nortryptiline - didn't work.
                    Neurontin - didn't work.
                    Cymbalta - was evil and made me sick as a dog.

Lyrica - 2 months now - and its working very well. So far so good!

Comment

Originally posted by KureMS View Post
                      I took neurontin for years (diagnosed in '99) for the same reason. Unfortunately my pain worsened and when I reached the max level of Neurontin, my neuro switched me to Lyrica. Fortunately I take less medication with the Lyrica and it works better for me than Neurontin.
                      Don't mean to hijack the thread...but thanks for posting this. I'm allergic to Neurontin and Tegretol, but have had burning pain/numbness in one leg lately, and was wondering if there was another med that could help w/it. I'll ask my neuro for the Lyrica.

Comment

neurontin

I tried lyrica first,no help i'm on neurontin 600mg 3 times a day.i doesn't help with pain. i have use my pain med for that,it did help me with the shaky feeling i get,but because i've been on it for so long I have to take,when i don't i feel like i'm going to have a seizure.hate that feeling.I hope it helps you,like ms all of our bodies work differently with whatever we put into them

Comment

I'm on Rebif have been for 10yrs. My neuro started me on Neurontin & Baclofin combo for pain & spasums in my legs & feet.It really has helped me.
                          God Bless Nona Judy

Comment

Just went to neuro Wed. had lot of issues, so neurontin was upped to 1800 a day and baclofen added to my daily drugs. Helping a lot with pain and spasticity. Doc said neurontin helps with pain, but not a pain killer. It helps whatever it is supposed to and for the first time in a long time,I feel almost normal. I have no reactions to drugs, but I usually don't. My body seems to like drugs. Told doc when medical marijuana is legalized here in OHl, I want that. (Shades of my younger years) How fun would that be to be happy all the time.?
                            Good luck with meds./

JudySz

Comment

Originally posted by MyGirlsMom View Post
                              This is a helpful post and like hearing others experiences!

My doctors would also like me to take Neurotin and thus far I have resisted. (I recently was on Trileptal for several years, before the MS dx, for mood issues...and now completely off that drug.)

It sounds like it works well for some people and maybe not so much for others.

My issue is leg pain and tingling/burning feeling. Some pain probably from spasticity as well as weird feeling from time to time in my torso and jaw.

Since I am med sensitive, my docs suggested starting with 100 mg at bedtime. Still thinking about it though.....
                              Sorry you are med sensitive... I hope the 100 mg. has been alright and has helped.

My doc has me taking 100 mg. two or three times a day.
                              Never heard of it for headaches.
                              And I've never noticed it helping me for that.
                              It does help with tingling for me.
                              I still have it to a degree, but the Neurontin helps take the "edge" off of the tingling.

I sort of use it as needed, which my doc allows.
                              I never go over the dosage per day he prescribes, but if I am having a day that feels more tingly to me (warmer weather), then I do make sure to take it.

Best wishes to everyone taking Neurontin.
                              It's been in my medicine cabinet for over 15 years now and has helped.

Comment

Working...
                              X